Extension Cord With Deep/Chest Freezer

emanphoto

Just inherited a 160cm long deep freezer and of course the cord is short.  Of course the cord is at the opposite end of the freezer from the outlet.  Wondering if there are short 3 prong heavy duty extension cords that are SAFE to use for this.  In the US they were typically used for window air conditioners.

I have the feeling there is no safe way given this info i googled from USA site.

"If you're planning on using an extension cord for your freezer, it's important to know at the outset that no safety agency or electrical association recommends using it permanently. The National Electrical Code and the National Fire Protection Association expressly prohibit it. Mike Holt advises that you'll find the prohibition elucidated in Article 400 of the NEC, and it's also in Section 11.1.5 of the NFPA Fire Code."

https://www.hunker.com/13408402/how-to-use-an-extension-cord-for-freezers

Because of the low amperage, (1.8) I wonder if the above would not apply, or if I'm just dreaming and will have to call in an electrician.  There are a couple of junction boxes within reach of the freezer cord, but I don't know what is running off those wires.  Most likely it will be the stove and the 2nd box may be the dishwasher. 

I've google translated the info on the back of the freezer and included the original shot here in case google got it wrong.

Thanks for any help!

Sanden Intercool (Thailand) Public Company Limited (Factory) 97-97/1 Moo 3, Ban Mo Subdistrict, Phrom Buri District, Singburi Province 16120 Tel. (036) 538-190-9 (Sales office) 30/9 Moo 3 Phaholyothin Road, Khlong Nueng Subdistrict, Khlong Luang District, Pathum Thani Province 12120 Tel.(02)516-1565-70

Type Freezer
Warning Please connect the ground wire before starting the machine.

Instructions for use SNH-0605

Do not use sharp materials. to scrape ice

Do not install in wet areas.

Electricity 1.8 A. 230 W.

weight 60 Kg. production site cold -22 °C -12°C Production date 15 August 2020 1640X700X865 mm,

machine failure, contact TEL : (02) 516-1565-70

Warning Danger to life If the ground wire is not installed correctly

IMG_9132.thumb.JPG.168340ac9eb1f928cdf63409636ce3c1.JPG

Edited by emanphoto

You will be OK with a properly grounded extension.  You could even DIY one.  No problem with wet on the floor, yah?

Like this would be fine.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/ac-power-cord-3x131-mm-18m-us-plug-isheng-sjt-16awg-uls-100-i3123610276-s11617637327.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.91.4d917a1a6iTD0W&search=1

Edited by bankruatsteve
  • Like 2

Unless you are going o be moving your freezer around the house, why not do the job properly and get a permanent connection like a fused spur with warning neon, so no way that your freezer can be accidentally disconnected.  With 1.8A consumption here should not be any problem overloading any existing junction box in you house. 

Get a proper electrician to do this for you, not the local Sombat who owns a neon tester and insulated cutters.

• Like 2