TV Series Downloads - Subtitles

Speedo1968

I am not computer savvy but can search and download International TV series from the likes of Youtube ( when allowed !!! ) and Dailymotion.

Sometimes when I view online the episodes have subs in English but when I download the episodes there are no subs.

I try different browsers but its the same problem.

Could anyone please explain in simple terms why this happens ?

Also what is the easiest program to add subs separately ?

I used to download series and then search for subs but with the plethora of cheap/free streaming sites already with subs, I just stream directly from my TV.

Since most now have access to fast cheap and reliable internet and with the high hassle/benefit  ratio of downloading even for repeat viewing I find downloading is now redundant.

But then again different strokes.......

Edited by LosLobo

Guest truthman

This happens because the subs aren't hard-coded to the video. You need to download the subs separately. Then you can add them with your video player to watch them on the computer or use a program like Any Video Converter to hardcode them so you can watch them on a TV.

Edited by truthman
Added info

52 minutes ago, truthman said:

This happens because the subs aren't hard-coded to the video. You need to download the subs separately. Then you can add them with your video player to watch them on the computer or use a program like Any Video Converter to hardcode them so you can watch them on a TV.

Sometimes they are included but you have to turn them on through your video player as well.

2 hours ago, LosLobo said:

I used to download series and then search for subs but with the plethora of cheap/free streaming sites already with subs, I just stream directly from my TV.

Since most now have access to fast cheap and reliable internet and with the high hassle/benefit  ratio of downloading even for repeat viewing I find downloading is now redundant.

OP - actually I don't have or want a TV.
I view only 1 - 2 hours max per day and use my laptop to view.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, recom273 said:

What are you using to DL the video files?

I use a Mac app that can capture YT videos, and it always gives me the option to download the subs alongside

OP - I have a laptop with Windows.
For downloading I use VLC MediaPlayer or ClipGrab.
Less and less on Youtube as they have less and less available much of what I download is from Dailymotion.
In the past I used Putlocker but haven't used for some years now.

1 hour ago, truthman said:

OP - I don't have / want a TV and do not have a video player

17 minutes ago, Speedo1968 said:

So, is it possible to know, how you play the video files and how do you download the files from DM or YT.

I think, most people, after downloading the video files will use VLC player on their computer to play them, if you don't its worth downloading.

If the downloader you are using produces a video file and a sub file, its a good idea to keep them in the same folder, with the same filename, but different extension.

For example

Eastenders 1 April 2022.mp4

Eastenders 1 April 2022.srt

If they dont play automatically, then you select them in the 'subtitle' tab subtitle track > select ...

I suspect that you are trying to download a file and its not producing a sub file for you to download, correct?

ETS: Sorry, I didnt read the previous quoted - I have downloaded clipgrab and see if I can replicate.

Edited by recom273

OK - clipgrab is a good frontend for YouTube-dlp which is a solid video downloader. I just grabbed a random file by searching "subtitles" on dailymotion and I got both the video and sub file.

So it appears that when the video files were originally uploaded to DM then the subs weren't added.

If you can find the subs on subscene.com or opensubtitles.org then you can just rename them to the same as the video file (as I said above) and they should play in VLC, trouble is, they may be out of sync depending upon wether or not they are timed to your video file.

You say you have trouble finding material on YT or DM, it may be easier to download the files along with the subtitles from one of the popular torrent sites.

Watch series and movies from flixtor.gg or from fmovies.to etc. Have many subtitles to choose from. There come few pop up windows and ad's but easily can click those away.

If you want download and make effort whit subtitles i was using subtitles workshop before to adjust sub's.

Edited by 2 is 1

Guest truthman
3 hours ago, Speedo1968 said:

VLC is a video player. You just add the subtitles.

6 hours ago, LosLobo said:

I hate streaming and refuse to watch any TV shows unless it's an NTb 1080p rip ????

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, recom273 said:

So, is it possible to know, how you play the video files and how do you download the files from DM or YT.

I think, most people, after downloading the video files will use VLC player on their computer to play them, if you don't its worth downloading.

If the downloader you are using produces a video file and a sub file, its a good idea to keep them in the same folder, with the same filename, but different extension.

For example

Eastenders 1 April 2022.mp4

Eastenders 1 April 2022.srt

If they dont play automatically, then you select them in the 'subtitle' tab subtitle track > select ...

I suspect that you are trying to download a file and its not producing a sub file for you to download, correct?

ETS: Sorry, I didnt read the previous quoted - I have downloaded clipgrab and see if I can replicate.

Thanks for the info.
I can watch the video with subs online but cannot - on some videos - when I download and save.
I have never understood about downloading 2 files ( video file and sub file )
I use VLC and have Windows Media Player.    The latter I use together with VLC when exercising and want a particular background music.     Will give WMP a try on a movie with subs file>

4 minutes ago, Speedo1968 said:

Thanks for the info.
I can watch the video with subs online but cannot - on some videos - when I download and save.
I have never understood about downloading 2 files ( video file and sub file )
I use VLC and have Windows Media Player.    The latter I use together with VLC when exercising and want a particular background music.     Will give WMP a try on a movie with subs file>

PM a link to the video file, it’s difficult to recreate the issue. Clipfile was good for me.

Edited by recom273

17 hours ago, recom273 said:

OK - clipgrab is a good frontend for YouTube-dlp which is a solid video downloader. I just grabbed a random file by searching "subtitles" on dailymotion and I got both the video and sub file.

So it appears that when the video files were originally uploaded to DM then the subs weren't added.

If you can find the subs on subscene.com or opensubtitles.org then you can just rename them to the same as the video file (as I said above) and they should play in VLC, trouble is, they may be out of sync depending upon wether or not they are timed to your video file.

You say you have trouble finding material on YT or DM, it may be easier to download the files along with the subtitles from one of the popular torrent sites.

OP - many video files on Dailymotion have subs and I can watch online, it's only when I down load and try to watch them there are no subs on some downloads.

My age and simple mind has meant I never got to grips with using torrents.    I live outside a small town so will have to try and find someone to teach me.

Many thanks for your hints

I use Internet Download Manager

https://www.internetdownloadmanager.com/

Best program that I have ever used:-

(Install Internet Download Manager (IDM) to stop waiting for your downloads. You will be truly amazed how fast IDM downloads your files. IDM will also repair broken and resume interrupted downloads due to lost connections, network problems, computer shutdowns, or unexpected power outages.)

There is also a choice to download with or without subtitles.

Try the free version.

Win