Issan to Vientiane

wornoutcowboy

My Lao passport holding partner will be heading to Laos to see his family.  He will be flying into BKK and hopes to travel to Vientiane via Nong Khai via the bridge.  Is that even possible now.  Is the Friendship bridge open for Lao Citizens.  Are there any special requirements.

Also is it possible to buy a bus ticket online?

thanks

Is the Friendship bridge open for Lao Citizens.

I would think so, since open to tourists: 

https://thethaiger.com/travel/tourism-travel/foreign-affairs-ministry-reminds-tourists-thailands-land-borders-mostly-still-closed

https://crisis24.garda.com/alerts/2022/04/laos-local-and-central-authorities-tightening-restrictions-as-of-april-1-due-to-increased-covid-19-activity-update-45

I'd fly DMK to UTH, then bus up, or train from there.  If running, pre-situation, there was bus service between UT to Vientiane, as the best, easiest & cheapest option.  Have used it a couple times myself.

a mini van service used to run from outside Central at Udon Thani, all the way to the border.  Then across the bridge, and jump on a local bus on the laos side

Edited by UKJASE

Also used to have van service from the airport, if out of town, and want to leave car at airport.  There's a long term parking there, or possibly more convenient to get dropped off there if living on that side of town.  Check first, make sure it still operated.

Bus was always the easiest & cheapest, as takes you to downtown Vientiane, though sometimes they check if you have visa already.  They won't wait for you if you don't, but still cheapest way to get to the border besides the train & walking from, if not too hot, or very short tuk tuk ride.

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Also used to have van service from the airport, if out of town, and want to leave car at airport.  There's a long term parking there, or possibly more convenient to get dropped off there if living on that side of town.  Check first, make sure it still operated.

Bus was always the easiest & cheapest, as takes you to downtown Vientiane, though sometimes they check if you have visa already.  They won't wait for you if you don't, but still cheapest way to get to the border besides the train & walking from, if not too hot, or very short tuk tuk ride.

I don't think that can be done at the moment. You need to be met for transportation to a quarantine hotel. It looks like people are met on the Thai side and driven across the border to quarantine. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

I don't think that can be done at the moment. 

Oops ... yea if forget the 'situation'.  Easy since not in a metro, or area with restriction or any enforcements.  Imagine Laos has their own, at least one day of controlled movement.

The only traffic I see are goods and services trucks. Ther is no tourist traffic happening. My neighbor says July?

Have to remember there are two sides go a bridge. Laos is still very worried about the large number of covid cases in Thailand.