Southern Group to Stop Violence During Holy Month of Ramadan

snoop1130

1e7919224597b553cfe62bcafad0cc2b_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - The Thai government has hailed "significant progress" in its latest talks with the main group waging an insurgency in Thailand’s Deep South, after the group agreed to cease violent activities during the upcoming holy month of Ramadan.

A government delegation and representatives of the main rebel group, the Barisan Revolusi Nasional (BRN), met face-to-face last week in Malaysia in the latest round of dialogue after peace talks resumed in January following a two-year pause due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

The BRN said in a statement that the two sides have agreed to stop violence during Ramadan, which runs from April 3 to May 14, in order to "create a safe and prosperous atmosphere" for the community as a process of "confidence-building" to "establish meaningful peace."

Thailand said in a statement that the creation of an "environment conducive to peace" during Ramadan will allow people to "safely perform their religious practices" and boost public confidence in the peace dialogue.

The government said both sides have also agreed to establish joint working groups in three areas, including the reduction of violence, public consultations and a political solution.

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2022-04-04

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

8 hours ago, natway09 said:

This just epitomizes the stupidity of the whole situation

I don't ever advocate violence, but I'm not sure what I'd do if the Elites from the capitol city pushed my family off the land we'd been farming for 20 generations, with newly minted paperwork.

It's not that simple, of course.  But that's a big component of the insurgency. 

Up north, the violence gets blamed on land and business disputes, drug cartels, human trafficking, loan sharks, etc.   In the south, it all gets lumped into the insurgency.

• Like 2