How are you coping with the rising cost of living?

Over the past few weeks especially since Russia invaded Ukraine, I have noticed a jump in my monthly outgoings as an Expat working in Asia.

We all know that the prices at the pumps have skyrocketed by as much as 30%, so driving about for a weekend trip to the beach is now seen as an unnecessary luxury.

Supermarket-Manilla.thumb.jpg.86ead1a00544ed2ccd8ff8ad9f06b2bd.jpg

file photo

Also, prices at the supermarkets have risen and although certain items have gone up due to rising import costs, it seems the supermarkets are raising prices across the board.

Visiting more local markets and taking to the bicycle are ways to immediately save however I even noticed my electricity bill has jumped up by 35% too.

Maybe the lockdown had that effect, but now that I am out more, I was still shocked to see March’s bill.

Apparently, Netflix is rumoured to be considering raising their subscriptions so reading a book may seem an affordable option.

I also checked out the prices of flights back to Europe in the summer, and longer flights due to repositioning to avoid Russian airspace, has meant airlines have ha to increase fares to pay for additional fuel costs that have also risen.

Bottom line is to try to keep our monthly budgets in check, we will need to cut back on the luxuries and hope they do not cut our wages!!!!

Join our 3 x a week Philippines News, Travel and Expat information newsletter and keep up to date. https://aseannow.com/newsletter.php

Alternatively, I'm noticing some prices going down, the giant all you can eat BBQ buffet round the corner just reopened, before covid it was 300 baht per head and now its 200 baht per head. A local Thai place doing 20 baht Khao Kapow etc. Some fruit and veg are back below pre covid prices.

Except for limes, that are getting up near 8-10 baht each

Edited by Peterw42