Who Am I

bazmlb

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The red one looks like a 50's Riley UK {recalled from one of the Riley history sites when looking for Mr Hippo's 'siam' car} BUT it as been customised with external pipe exhausts {The grill is the give-away, Riley kept the 'tear peek' until the end}. The other is, I think, an early Excalibur, the 2 seater, so could be mid 70's through to early 80's. The homologation rules caused the redesign of the wings to be more enclosing.

Yes, you guessed, Neo-Classics are a hobby of mine.

Regards

Add See Mr Hippo was typing as I was.

Riley 52 and Excalibur 77

post-1585-1187428201_thumb.jpg

post-1585-1187428238_thumb.jpg

Mitsubishi Evolution - right

Noble M12 GTO '04 - laft

One of my previous posts featured that famous Belgian TinTin, another famous Belgian - Eddie Merckx - but what is the car in the background?

post-30887-1187428537_thumb.jpg

Edited by mr_hippo

Behind the cyclist, Peugeot 204?

Regards

Second you Peugeot 204.

And a little help for the car in the dark (too easy with this photo but too difficult in the dark)

Ouuups I just see mr hppo gave the answer.

And he was right for the Noble too

post-1585-1187440475_thumb.jpg

Edited by djinn

Off top of my head: 1960 Edsel four door sedan, Pacer or Ranger, not Corsair or Citation. Last of the breed that only lasted three years. "The Edsel Story" was written by J. Emmett Judge, I think. Only about 3000 of these were built, all during 1959.

///Added: looks enough like the larger Mercury body to be a Corsair or Citation; the lesser names had a smaller Ford body, but they weren't noticeably different.

In "Peggy Sue Gets Married," the father of Peggy Sue buys a 1958 Edsel new.

Off top of my head: 1960 Edsel four door sedan, Pacer or Ranger, not Corsair or Citation. Last of the breed that only lasted three years. "The Edsel Story" was written by J. Emmett Judge, I think. Only about 3000 of these were built, all during 1959.

///Added: looks enough like the larger Mercury body to be a Corsair or Citation; the lesser names had a smaller Ford body, but they weren't noticeably different.

In "Peggy Sue Gets Married," the father of Peggy Sue buys a 1958 Edsel new.

Center of the target;Edsel Ranger 60 :o

As mr hippo showed us 2 well known belgians (Tintin and Eddy Merckx) You will see on the next photos the 3rd well known belgian :o ;young djinn drving in competition.These photo were taken in 78 .One in a club race in Luxemburg;the other one during the 24 h of Francorchamps.Can you guess the cars?

post-1585-1187449575_thumb.jpg

post-1585-1187449618_thumb.jpg

Simca Rallye

VW Scirocco

The neo-classic is a Johnson, {from Florida} one of the smaller neo's Gatsby, Palazzi, are other examples. larger operations include Clenet, Excalibur, Zimmer & Tiffany

The coupe is a Ford Coupe, de Luxe, presumably a flat head late '30s.

Regards

Simca Rallye

VW Scirocco

The neo-classic is a Johnson, {from Florida} one of the smaller neo's Gatsby, Palazzi, are other examples. larger operations include Clenet, Excalibur, Zimmer & Tiffany

The coupe is a Ford Coupe, de Luxe, presumably a flat head late '30s.

Regards

[/quote

All 4 correct

Simca 1000 rallye 2;Scirocco;Johnson President;Ford 38

post-1585-1187466402_thumb.jpg

post-1585-1187466479_thumb.jpg

post-1585-1187466611_thumb.jpg

Edited by djinn

The red barchetta (which is a great song about a Ferrari 166MM, by that rock group in Canada, Rush) looks like an AC Ace because there are no Cobra wheel arches. Body design by Tojeiro was an obvious ripoff of the 166MM.

The big white convertible (not called drop head coupe in the New World) appears to be a Chevy Bel Air, circa 1961.

Oh finally.......so wrong on so many counts!

Not a Thai home not a modern home - Ochre rather than yellow - not strange in Country of origin and referred to as "station wagon" and "real estate"....a very well-known manufacturer too

Oh finally.......so wrong on so many counts!

Not a Thai home not a modern home - Ochre rather than yellow - not strange in Country of origin and referred to as "station wagon" and "real estate"....a very well-known manufacturer too

However the post points out the reason many contributors to this can pick up a specific model {year and all} from older cars but look bemused at recent vehicles.

Yours for example, has elements of Ford at the front, the rear glasshouse reminds me of Subaru, but their cars usually have frameless doors, could be an Holden {making an assumption that we looking at Aus or NZ}. The earlier white modern car is another example, probably a Nissan, but no really identifying features, despise the whale tale.

Not a criticism of the vehicles but the lack of both originality and a willingness to try a new design. As example the original Lexus LS drawings were more adventurous then the technically excellent, but bland in execution vehicle. Ford in Europe though have tried a couple of time to change the reference model, the Sierra, and the most recent Mondeo are examples of this.

Regards

PS The blue classic reminds me of a Railton.

Edited by A_Traveller

What was that ugly Ford-of-Europe car in the 1980's that was sold as a Mercury in the States, and had a new weird-ugly shape that didn't catch on? Almost as ungainly as the Pontiac Aztec monstrosity of an SUV?

Are you thinking of the infamous 'jelly mould' - Ford Sierra/ Merkur? post-30887-1187515162_thumb.jpg

http://www.angelfire.com/ny/Dodgeology/xr4.html

Edited by mr_hippo

What was that ugly Ford-of-Europe car in the 1980's that was sold as a Mercury in the States, and had a new weird-ugly shape that didn't catch on? Almost as ungainly as the Pontiac Aztec monstrosity of an SUV?

The design was a deliberate break and as such was successful in Europe and influenced a whole range of vehicles, in many different market segments. prompting others to look at the design criteria. Originally the Sierra was said 'not to have a straight line anywhere', not true but the public did take to the curved styling over time. It's interesting to note that the vehicle had a 10year lifespan and by the time the Mondeo replacement was announced the curvaceous styling was the norm not the exception.

The Mondeo, the replacement, used the styling cues and only appeared less radical since much of the marketplace has caught up. The new Mondeo {see below} has taken the edge elements and combined them into a format which is both striking and possibly a cue to the next evolution of the segment.

post-33892-1187515228_thumb.jpg

Regards

The car Mr Hippo is showing is the original top of the range XR4i, which in Europe ran the 2.8 litre 150BHP motor. Versions in South Africa included a V8, but the US only got a 2.3 turbo {Mekur?}.

Of course the ultimate were the Cosworths 200 BHP+

Regards

Edited by A_Traveller

My picture shows the Merkur XR4TI - the only version of the Sierra sold in the US and had a 2.3 L variant of the SOHC "Pinto" engine, equipped with a turbocharger and fuel injection but no intercooler. http://brianhart.org/carhistory.html

Merkur also imported the Ford Scorpio

That's interesting, I'd always believed that the US version [XR4Ti] had an additional grill, as on the link [brianart] between the lights, whereas the Euro version retained the solid panel with the Ford oval, as per your picture.

Obviously, given your previous link, they were not all grilled, learn something everyday.

Regards

/edit typo//

Edited by A_Traveller

post-30887-1187520582.jpg

Many years ago, when we still had dinosaurs and Mr Hippo went to school, he used to pass the saloon version of this car and vowed that he would buy on when he was old enough to drive )he was about 10 at the time). The years passed and Mr Hippo saw a similar car for sale and he had enough pennies to buy one but did he? He took it for a test drive and was bitterly disappointed in it. The other car that Mr Hippo wanted as a kid, he never got either - Studebaker Golden Hawk. I wonder if he would have been disappointed in that as well?

post-30887-1187520645_thumb.jpg

This he did get for the princely sum of £25! 18 months of trouble free motoring and a £15 profit at the end of it!

I did not know that the Nash/Hudson Metropolitan ever had an estate version. Only coupes and convertibles sold in the USA, and I believe they had a detuned BMC engine, same series as the MG-A. Surely an Austin.

Now, talking about Studebaker Hawks. Raymond Loewy's trademark coupe became the 1954 Speedster, (possibly 1955, but I'll go with my instinct, 1954). Speedsters were available in blinding two tone paint jobs that included grey and pink, and I think purple or mint green. Beautiful, with engine-turned dashboard. The Hawks came out the next year, and there were four. Names included Silver Hawk, Golden, Flite, and Power. My buddy's father bought one of the simpler coupes, not flashy.

Then there was the Hawk GT, about which Mr. Kelly told me an interesting story on the lawn of Siebken's Hotel at Elkhart Lake as he got his first glance at his competitor's Avanti (this is midnight during June Sprints, 1961). The last Packard was a supercharged Packard Hawk, as I recall.

I did not know that the Nash/Hudson Metropolitan ever had an estate version. [They didn't it was a trial which was never built as a production model] Only coupes and convertibles sold in the USA, and I believe they had a detuned BMC engine, same series as the MG-A. Surely an Austin.

Now, talking about Studebaker Hawks. Raymond Loewy's trademark coupe became the 1954 Speedster, (possibly 1955, but I'll go with my instinct, 1954). Speedsters were available in blinding two tone paint jobs that included grey and pink, and I think purple or mint green. Beautiful, with engine-turned dashboard. The Hawks came out the next year, and there were four. Names included Silver Hawk, Golden, Flite, and Power. My buddy's father bought one of the simpler coupes, not flashy.

Then there was the Hawk GT, about which Mr. Kelly told me an interesting story on the lawn of Siebken's Hotel at Elkhart Lake as he got his first glance at his competitor's Avanti (this is midnight during June Sprints, 1961). The last Packard was a supercharged Packard Hawk, as I recall.

Regards

/edit typo //

Edited by A_Traveller

I come back on the 3 cars from post 611

2 of them were found by our distinguished members

The red one is a ac bristol 59

The white one is a chevrolet impala 66

The classic one...hmmm had to find a clue so went on internet

And I found this US convertible car (the left one here under).The model is the same as the brand of the blue silver classic

Some more Photos for all the tastes

post-1585-1187535135_thumb.jpg

post-1585-1187535196_thumb.jpg

post-1585-1187535220_thumb.jpg

Edited by djinn

I come back on the 3 cars from post 611

2 of them were found by our distinguished members

The red one is a ac bristol 59

The white one is a chevrolet impala 66

The classic one...hmmm had to find a clue so went on internet

And I found this US convertible car (the left one here under).The model is the same as the brand of the blue silver classic

Some more Photos for all the tastes

Djinn,

Brown convert looks like a hard top retractible convertible 1957 ford fairlane? Very small pic.

The bronze convertible: those fins resemble both the Chevy IMpala of 1960, and their counterpart Buick.

The red and white coupe is an early front wheel drive Cadillac Eldorado, but I still kind of like the 1953 Eldorado based on the Motorama show car, and the later (1959?) Eldorado Biarritz with a brushed aluminum roof, with its modest fins making the big 60 Special fins look absurd.