2nd Life for EV Batteries

KhunLA

Few thoughts for the EV naysayers:

Links are older, so surely so more intuitive ideas since.  Though these are practical & easy.  I saw one photo in a news-blip, they had stacks of used EV battery packs, being charged by solar, at a EV charging station.  Thought that was damn ingenious.
https://www.solarpowerworldonline.com/2017/02/giving-electric-vehicle-batteries-second-life-solar-projects/

"The group ultimately found that used EV batteries purchased at 80 percent of their original capacity will deliver marginally better revenues for the solar plant than a similar bank of new batteries. And if the solar farm can buy those batteries at 60 percent of original retail price, the farm can potentially even return a profit—all other factors being equal.

Mathews said EVs are still coming online in small enough numbers that their used battery packs haven’t yet become a big or noticeable force to reckon with. But he expects in a few years’ time, that will probably change. Used EV batteries could become so widely available that they’d be valuable for any number of energy storage applications."
https://spectrum.ieee.org/used-ev-batteries-could-power-tomorrows-solar-farms#toggle-gdpr

"The first batches of batteries from electric and hybrid vehicles are hitting retirement age, yet they aren’t bound for landfills. Instead, they’ll spend their golden years chilling beer at 7-Elevens in Japan, powering car-charging stations in California and storing energy for homes and grids in Europe."
https://www.powervault.co.uk/article/where-3-million-electric-vehicle-batteries-will-go-when-they-retire/

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

Or they will be recycled. As I've posted elsewhere, Redwood Recycling already is finding it profitable to recycle batteries. The quality of the recycled material is actually better than it originally was.

Edited by placeholder
  • Like 1

I've got 2 packs of 2nd hand batteries powering my house, about 50,000bht worth.

Not sure they were worthwhile.

The main problem being the sellers always slip a few non-working batteries in your order.

Wish I'd paid the money for new.

IMG_20220405_114643.jpg

Edited by BritManToo

50 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I've got 2 packs of 2nd hand batteries powering my house, about 50,000bht worth.

Not sure they were worthwhile.

The main problem being the sellers always slip a few non-working batteries in your order.

Wish I'd paid the money for new.

IMG_20220405_114643.jpg

Battery packs often taken from service because only one or two cell have fault

Often easier to install new pack and sell old pack as recycle

Recycle people do not throw out the dead cell they sell online with working cell

Some seller of cells test before sale but not easy to find this seller in lazada cheater market

Pack with new top grade cell have equal capacity making easy start life for balance and the charge calculation 

Pack of second hand cell can need lot of attention to be sure pack is happy with charge voltage and balance system

Very nice to have new cell pack because can run many cycles without balance worry

• Like 2

Businesses are opening in the the US that buy the used battery packs, and parting them out. 

The cars doing full replacements are typically under warranty (although one would do well to understand how the pro-rating works prior to buying) when the capacity drops below 80%. 

The companies parting out the batteries are replacing cell(s) rather than entire sets, typically for vehicles that are out of warranty.

To be clear, when you have a bad cell, new car dealers typically do not replace the entire battery set, they replace the cell, unless the capacity of the entire assembly drops below 80%.

Why does the OP call people that do not think EVs should be mandated and or subsidized on the backs of the poor EV naysayers? Can we not just have a discussion?