Thailand's hanging wires: Motorcyclist nearly decapitated calls for authorities to act

webfact

4pm.jpg

Daily News Thai Caption: Strangled by a coms cable

A 30 year old motorcyclist called Meuanfan, 30, turned to Daily News for help after she came off her motorcycle.

She was a victim of Thailand's famous hanging wires.

Her bike went skidding as she was nearly decapitated at the entrance to a housing estate in Muang district of Surin.

She was unconscious and helped by locals. She said it was lucky she wasn't run over.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

4pm1.jpg

Picture: Daily News

She said there had been many accidents because of these wires and she demanded quick action.

Daily News found 8 posts laden with wires and evidence on the road surface of several accidents.  

Aetna Platinum+ Light on premium, great on coverage

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-04-07

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Sad 2

6 hours ago, webfact said:

She said there had been many accidents because of these wires and she demanded quick action.

And yet, knowing the danger, she drove into them anyway. How about 'It was my fault because I know the wires have caused accidents there before", rather than "It was someone else's fault for letting the wires hang."

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

It will take someones death to get this fixed. Very similar lack of action by authorities occurs in the UK. My local council were warned repeatedly for 20 years by local villagers that the bus stop on the opposite side of a fast busy road was dangerous to get to and they wanted a light controlled crossing installed. They were ignored until a 14 year old girl was killed trying to cross the road so she could cath the bus to school. A crossing was installed 2 weeks later.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

And yet, knowing the danger, she drove into them anyway. How about 'It was my fault because I know the wires have caused accidents there before", rather than "It was someone else's fault for letting the wires hang."

Perhaps there was no choice but to go that way?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, RobU said:
1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Perhaps there was no choice but to go that way?

Are you suggesting there was no way around the wires and she had no option other than to drive into them? I very much doubt the entire road was blocked. She knew of the danger. If it was me I'd be very careful how I progressed there. Although, according to her, there are many accidents, not everyone who uses the road gets tangled in the wires because they probably take greater care. I'm not saying the wires are a disgrace, but it's a very common problem in Thailand that everyone is aware of. Including her. Just part of the can't be bothered to do a professional job culture.

55 minutes ago, HappyinNE said:

Cut the damn wires.  Make sure you wear rubber gloves.  Other fix is to tie a rope around them and attach it to your vehicle as you drive off.  If we all did this the problem would be fixed.

More  there would be a motorcycle wheel hanging from the offending wire to warn the next rider incoming....????

2 hours ago, HappyinNE said:

Cut the damn wires.  Make sure you wear rubber gloves.  Other fix is to tie a rope around them and attach it to your vehicle as you drive off.  If we all did this the problem would be fixed.

The wires are usually internet cables.

How would you feel if your internet went down on a regular basis.

Edited by Tropicalevo

Not a problem.  the internet provider would have to fix it.  So I am out for a while that is not that high up my problem list for getting rid of the wires and forcing the internet companies (and others) do their jop right.

On 4/7/2022 at 8:18 PM, digger70 said:

The authorities won't do anything until one or more  of them get hung up or killed by the wires.     Can't happen soon enough.

What will happen if someone comes in the night and cut the bloody lot down.

15 hours ago, Huckenfell said:

What will happen if someone comes in the night and cut the bloody lot down.

Probably not much ,Most of the low hanging wires aren't in use . They keep putting up new wires all the time but they Never take down the  wires that are not in service anymore.