‘Less Plastic Phuket’ a stepping stone to better waste management

webfact

erik-mclean-GjCx5KhulZI-unsplash.jpg

Photo by Erik Mclean on Unsplash

In the past few years, the COVID-19 outbreak has increased the amount of plastic waste, despite many people working from home, as well as the dramatic drop in the number of foreign tourists, due to the closure of Thailand’s borders during the pandemic. On the other hand, the rapid urbanisation and changing trends in consumption are the main factors behind the rapid increase in single-use plastics.

The data from Thailand’s Pollution Control Department shows that, during January and December 2020, the quantity of plastic waste rose 40%, compared with the same period last year. Amidst the third COVID-19 wave, in April 2021, the increase in the amount of plastic litter jumped to 45%, or 139 grams/person/day on average.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

Each year, at least 14 million tons of plastic waste ends up in the world’s oceans. Geologically speaking, the areas near shores and islands need proper waste disposal and management systems to prevent rubbish from landfill sites getting into the sea.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/less-plastic-phuket-a-stepping-stone-to-better-waste-management/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-04-07

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Same story from many months even years ago.  All lip service and after a few months will fade away.  Just like plastic bags arent supposed  to be used at convenience stores,  or stores period, they still do.  Street carts, unsanitary  already, still use  plastic  bags.   It's Asaia and the plastic  island bigger than some US stares is still growing in the ocean.  They dont care.  If a tree falls in the woods and no one is there, does it make a sound?  Forest  for the trees.

1 hour ago, Will B Good said:

I imagine the next step will be a proliferation of bins all over the place........plastic ones.

I wish ... part of the litter problem where I am, as not nearly enough public bins.  Sadly, people don't hold their trash (as we do) until finding one or returning home.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Plastic is not, and has never been the problem.  It's what people & govts do with it, after its use, that is the problem.  

Recycle the recyclables ... not being done

Trash to energy plants ... not being done

Find a better substitute, that doesn't include cutting down trees ... not being done.

People are the problem, not plastic.

It is not possible to recycle most plastics so the problem is not just people it is the plastic itself. You are correct, another solution other than plastic is very necessary.

Plastic waste is a problem all around the world, it is time that all countries make a better effort to 

recycle it, and reuse it in some way. Maybe melting some down and made into plastic barrels, cubes, floating 

docks, and other items could be part of a solution. Most countries are not trying very hard to be serious and

figure out some solutions that will help the problem. Of course some governments are just content to apply

some kind of carbon tax, and claim that they are doing their best.

I will believe it, when I see it. Change requires progress. Dinosaurs tend to move backwards. 

A change in consciousness must start at the most basic level. Most Thais think plastic is the best thing ever invented, and the percentage of Thais that even consider the negative ramifications of plastic is incredibly small. This requires some education. I always do two things to avoid the consumption of plastic.

1. I bring re-usable bags with me every time I go shopping. I use the larger shopping bags I buy in the US, which are made of recycled materials. Most of the clerks have to be dealt with. Even when they see my bag, they still start putting the stuff in plastic. I always mai sai toom. No plastic! Then they start loading up my bag. Most look at me like I am from Mars. Do I care? Not one iota. About 1% thank me, and get it. Not many do. My Thai wife does not like bringing the bags to the store. I ask her to. By now, she expects it, and sometimes even asks if I have any bags in the car, or on the motorbike. Same with the water bottles. It used to embarrass her. Now, it is second nature, as I have been doing this for so long, she expects it. So, if a Thai can be conditioned to follow these simple principals, then anyone can.

2. I bring a bottle of water with me, every time I go to a restaurant. I refill my plastic bottles from the 20 liter bottles at home. It is easy. I never buy bottled water at a restaurant. This saves 300-600 bottles a year. I use a plastic bottle dozens of times. I never get any flack from the restaurants. Only once did someone say something to me. She said you cannot bring you own water. My response was if you serve the water in a glass bottle, and I do not have to consume a plastic bottle, I am happy to pay for that. She was lost. I told her to leave and get me my food. She went away.

We simply cannot say we are concerned about the environment, and then do nothing about it. Action demonstrates commitment. Lack of action demonstrates nothing.

Lastly, restaurants can demonstrate their commitment, by serving drinking water from the 20 liter bottles. It saves alot of plastic. They lose a small amount of revenue, by not selling thousands of bottles of water. But, their operation is still profitable, and they are making a real difference.

There really is not need to be consuming water in plastic bottles. At least not often. There are alternatives. Those damn bottles are a real culprit, when it comes to fouling the environment. What can we do, if we say we care?

I 100% agree with you I never ever bought water in Plastic bottles I do drink from the tap but I am not in LOS anymore. I am in OZ now (West coast) there is no plastic bags for a long time,  one use plastic is banned, no straws, no plastic cutlery if you happen to buy any plastic bottles you get a 10 cents refund when you drop it of at a recycling station,every body has his (hers) shopping bag I have not used a plastic bag for years, I have no kids but I am worried about the ocean, thousands of creatures get killed in the ocean every day because they swallowed plastic The Problem: Over 1 million marine animals (including mammals, fish, sharks, turtles, and birds) are killed each year due to plastic debris in the ocean (UNESCO Facts & Figures on Marine Pollution). Currently, it is estimated that there are 100 million tons of plastic in oceans around the world this is just one example