Bicycles

xdc

howdy

while this is not about 'motor', i think this is the most relevant forum...here goes

im wanting to start riding a bicycle to work (from suan lum to whittayu)...

i think it wont be toooo dangerous...what do u guys think?

and where are bikes sposed to be ridden? on the road? on the footpath?

and would they let u onto mrt or skytrain with one?

while we're at it, where can i find cheap bicycles in bkk? cheap like <=3000thb?

cheers

try your local Tesco Lotus for cheap bicycles. Ride on the road until your path becomes blocked then ride on the footpath, just as a motorcycle does. Basically, anywhere a motorcycle goes, so can you. You need to be aware that bicycle riders are treated with only slightly more respect than pedestrians by other road users, whether on the footpath or not. No problem taking your bicycle on the skytrain. Not sure about the BTS. Buy a good helmet and good luck.

try your local Tesco Lotus for cheap bicycles. Ride on the road until your path becomes blocked then ride on the footpath, just as a motorcycle does. Basically, anywhere a motorcycle goes, so can you. You need to be aware that bicycle riders are treated with only slightly more respect than pedestrians by other road users, whether on the footpath or not. No problem taking your bicycle on the skytrain. Not sure about the BTS. Buy a good helmet and good luck.

As BTS and Skytrain are the same thing, shouldn't be a problem. Guess you meant your not sure about the MRT (Metro/Underground).

XDC,

"Cheap" bicycle and "value for money" do not always go hand in hand in Thailand. Before you spend 3000 baht you might at least test ride a quality bike at a shop like www.probike.co.th While perhaps a Gary Fisher, Klein or Lemond is way out of the price range you want to spend, this shop in fact does have some other brands such as TREK that will be perhaps a much more satisfying bike ride experience at near what price you had in mind. Long after you forget how much "paid" for the bike, you will know if your commute and other bike rides are "fun" or a "chore". I live up-Country and I rode several mass market bikes before finding a local bike shop in Buriram that sold and serviced quality bikes. The prices for accessories and bicycles at this shop in Buriram were a bit less than Pro Bike in Bangkok, but maybe some of the tires or running gear was different on the same model as sold in Bangkok. I would only assume that in Bangkok are other independent shops that you can purchase quality bikes that at least you might consider before settling for a "clunky" uncomfortable bike. I was able to purchase a 2ND hand GIANT for my wife and the L.A. Bike she had purchased previously now collects dust. To "upgrade" to quality disk brakes for a bicycle was not much money, but well worth it in my opinion. It is possible to purchase quality bicycle helmets in Thailand for less than the same model would cost in America. The Trek 6500 I purchased in Thailand cost far less money than I could find it on any American web site. Both in Buriram and at Pro Bike they quickly offered a lower price on accessories and new bicycles than the price tag.

Good luck and safe riding. Up here we have to keep an eye out for Water Buffalo, cattle and 9 year old Yamaha Drivers.

Kamala Bob

Yeah, agree with xdc. Do not spend 3000 baht on a bike, you will end up with something which is a chore to ride and therefore will not. I spent an hour yesterday fixing the brakes on one of those bikes. Yes, an hour. The brakes were rubbing, making it hard work to pedal, and made an awful squealing noise. Still couldn't get the back wheel to lock and suspect they will go out of adjustment in a week. Couldn't be bothered fixing the gears, they didn't work unless you got off and moved the derailleur by hand.

Set up my bike when I bought it and haven't touched it since. It's now covered in mud and still works fine

thanks for the tips.

might check out probike this wk....

but to be honest for 10-20k+ THB id might just catch a motobike taxi to work for the next yr or so instead...

thing is, its gonna be sitting outside all day while im in the office and all nite since my apt is kinda small....so theres weather n theft to worry abt....

are there any places online or otherwise to buy 2nd hand ones more in my price range?

was just abt to buy the bt 3k 'coppi' bike from big c.....26" had the front n rear shocks n all...but the sales dude said it doesnt come in a box (like &lt;deleted&gt;?) n was tryin to push the 'turbo' bikes (that i saw a wanky tv ad for)....was he havin me on or are the 'coppi' bikes real POS's?

(to be fair, the 'turbo' bikes at least had shimano gears and felt like aluminium)

If you want to get a cheap one then look for a bike with no suspension or maybe only front. The cheap suspension doesnt help at all and makes the bike very heavy. If I was you I would just get a 5 gear model with no suspension.

However you could go to the good bike shop and see what the cheepest semi decent bike costs. It should be less than Trek and Giant etc.. and much better than a lotus bike.