Thai/American Citizenship for Child (1/4 Thai)

Greetings,

My wife was born in Thailand and is half Thai/half American. She has dual Thai/American citizenship. I am American. We are expecting to have a child soon. Is it possible for my child (1/4 Thai) to get dual Thai/American citizenship? The child will be born in American.

I'm particularly interested in this because my wife owns a home in Thailand and I want to ensure the home can be inherited by our child someday.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

I have a similar situation with my grandson, father Thai (my son born to Thai mother and me, American father) and mother American. The grandson was granted Thai citizenship based on his father being Thai.

1 hour ago, CrashTestDummy said:

My wife was born in Thailand and is half Thai/half American.

Do you mean your wife is mixed raced-half Thai/half American.   Or that she is a full Thai who just took out USA citizenship. 

2 hours ago, CrashTestDummy said:

We are expecting to have a child soon. Is it possible for my child (1/4 Thai) to get dual Thai/American citizenship? The child will be born in American.

Your child will be a Thai national by birth.

You will need to register their birth at the Thai embassy in Washington DC or one of the 3 official consulates.

Info is here: https://thaiembdc.org/thai-birth-certificate-english-thai/

1 hour ago, oxo1947 said:

Do you mean your wife is mixed raced-half Thai/half American.   Or that she is a full Thai who just took out USA citizenship. 

She's mixed race, half Thai/half American. I didn't know if this would somehow disqualify our child for Thai citizenship, since they'll only be 1/4 Thai. Based on other responses, it sounds like it will not.

13 hours ago, CrashTestDummy said:

She's mixed race, half Thai/half American. I didn't know if this would somehow disqualify our child for Thai citizenship, since they'll only be 1/4 Thai. Based on other responses, it sounds like it will not.

Why would race make any difference? Are they Nazis? There are Thai citizens who are 0% Thai.

What could matter is if the mother renounced her Thai citizenship before the birth of their child.

Most countries require at least one parent to be a citizen in order to transmit citizenship to their children.

• 2 weeks later...

Ethnicity means nothing in citizenship, generally.

Regardless of what Mom is or isn't both of you are US citizens, hence the child is US citizen.

Register the birth with the US embassy, job done the child is a US citizen