Jail Term Handed Down for Fatal Cadet Parachute Jumps

snoop1130

7 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

What on earth are they doing forcing a police recruit to make a parachute jump? My stepdaughter recently successfully completed the five year university police entrance course. Hate to think she'll be required to jump? 

Posssibly an optional course that the cadets 'volunteered' for?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

It was a static line jump. The 'running' cable attached inside the aircraft broke as these two cadets jumped so their parachutes were not pulled to deploy as their static lines fell with them.

Investigation found that the aircraft cable had been replaced with a non-approved spare. The eye-end fittings at the cable ends, which should be swaged on, were not, and one had failed. In other words, the correct item was considered too expensive and had been replaced with a cheaper or locally repaired item.

The aircraft fly out of Hua Hin Airport. The drop zone is just to the north over the army camp in Cha AM.

Jesus wept!

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

What on earth are they doing forcing a police recruit to make a parachute jump? My stepdaughter recently successfully completed the five year university police entrance course. Hate to think she'll be required to jump? 

Because they get pretty wings on their uniforms after the jump

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, thaigirlwatcher1 said:

Because they get pretty wings on their uniforms after the jump

Exactly! Anyone who's been in the 'forces' understands the obsession with 'getting your book signed off'. There is constant pressure to compete, complete and conform. If the officer is (or intends to be) a SOCO (for example) or even totally desk bound they shouldn't be exposed to that culture. 

Edited by The Fugitive

3 hours ago, Paul Henry said:

Sonshai obvipusly cannot read. In my post I asked a question and he tells me I do not know what I am talking about. If I knew I would not ask the question.Time he went back to school if he ever went?

Apparently (as someone mentioned above) it was a 'static line' jump and the line broke, thus their main parachutes failed to open. Maybe they didn't receive any/adequate training in what to do in such a scenario? I don't know either!   

On 4/9/2022 at 3:22 PM, PETERTHEEATER said:

It was a static line jump. The 'running' cable attached inside the aircraft broke as these two cadets jumped so their parachutes were not pulled to deploy as their static lines fell with them.

Investigation found that the aircraft cable had been replaced with a non-approved spare. The eye-end fittings at the cable ends, which should be swaged on, were not, and one had failed. In other words, the correct item was considered too expensive and had been replaced with a cheaper or locally repaired item.

The aircraft fly out of Hua Hin Airport. The drop zone is just to the north over the army camp in Cha AM.

Correct, I remember now, did not know 2 were killed. I once visited my regular shop to repair something and to my surprise there was an NCO from wing 41 with an airplane part from the L39 (albatros) that needed to be copied, machined  (with a lathe) to replace the original. part. 

23 hours ago, Paul Henry said:

Sonshai obvipusly cannot read. In my post I asked a question and he tells me I do not know what I am talking about. If I knew I would not ask the question.Time he went back to school if he ever went?

Sorry, I did not want to insult you, just stated the fact that you had no clue. For your information, I can read and understand about 5 or 6 languages ???? During WWI the Germans used parachutes for their observers in the balloons). During WWII the Americans did jump with an emergency chute, pLaced in front, on the chest, already. The British and some other parachute regiments from other countries started to use a "reserve"  in 1953 until then they only had the main chute in the back. In the late seventies they started to put the reserve (emergency chute) in the back for those who did Free Fall (skydiving) However in the military they still use the main chute in the back and the emergency chute in the front if they operate static line. And .... the Russians use a different technique. When you exit the plane (balloon) you have to count 301, 302, 303 or in English 1001, 1002, 1003. (3 sec) next you have to check your canopy (parachute), next you do a 360 to check if others are near you. etc etc. This is part of the training hence my remark about the jumpmaster (largeur, dispatcher), the kids should have deployed their emergency. My friend had a similar accident when he was an instructor and his student got killed on her first jump (civilian from a Cessna) Because the students changed position (jump order) in the small airplane that student was not hooked up correctly. He went to court and received a sentence.

• Thanks 1