Change LINE phone number from U.S. to Thailand number

srowndedbyh2o

I’ve had the LINE app on my iPhone for a few years while living in the U.S. I used it mostly to send personal photos, files, website links, etc. to family in Thailand.

I now live in Thailand and have a Thai phone number with AIS. I’m still able to send messages, files, etc with the LINE app, but I want to change out the U.S. phone number listed in my LINE app to my Thai phone number, but when I attempt to change the number, I just keep getting an “Invalid phone number” message. I’ve tried entering the number as a 10 digit number beginning with 093. I’ve tired entering beginning with 66093, and 6693, but it always says invalid phone number.

My registered email address has not changed.

Anyone know the secret to changing the number?

Go to Settings > Help Centre.

Do a search for Change phone number.

There are instructions.

If it doesn't work, there is a "Send an inquiry" option. You can contact LINE for more advice.

HTH

Edited by phetphet

1 hour ago, phetphet said:

Go to Settings > Help Centre.

Do a search for Change phone number.

There are instructions.

If it doesn't work, there is a "Send an inquiry" option. You can contact LINE for more advice.

HTH

I've tried the instructions. But it does not work. I sent off an inquiry

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

https://guide.line.me/en/migration/migration_b/

Update your registered info: email and password

Update your backup

Then just go into Settings, Account, press on Phone number, enter new phone number, maybe +66 NN NNN NNNN, drop the leading zero.

Alternatively you could do a fresh install, register then restore your back up.

Followed instructions but getting nowhere. The instructions state: "01.Enter your phone number and then enter the code you receive via text message". But there is no way to enter my phone number.  Also, no way that I can see to add a "+" sign to the number.

30 minutes ago, srowndedbyh2o said:

But there is no way to enter my phone number.  Also, no way that I can see to add a "+" sign to the number.

Suspect PEBCAK.

Update LINE App

Open LINE App.

Select HOME, looks like a house, lower left.

Select SETTINGS, looks like a gear, upper right.

Select Account

Press your finger on Phone number

---Now you are in the Change phone number screen

ENTER new phone number +66 03 NNN NNNN

Wait for SMS

Or just leave it as is.

11 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Press your finger on Phone number

---Now you are in the Change phone number screen

ENTER new phone number +66 03 NNN NNNN

I've done this but when I enter my Thai phone number I just get the "Invalid phone number" message. Also, as I've mentioned before, I see no way of adding a "+" sign at the start of the number. Pressing and holding a number does not bring up additional characters to type.

17 minutes ago, srowndedbyh2o said:

I've done this but when I enter my Thai phone number I just get the "Invalid phone number" message. Also, as I've mentioned before, I see no way of adding a "+" sign at the start of the number. Pressing and holding a number does not bring up additional characters to type.

Can you post your phone model and a screenshot of the keyboard presented by Line?

18 hours ago, srowndedbyh2o said:

LINE customer service actually got back to me with a solution.

They told me to uninstall the app, and reinstall, and my location now comes up as Thailand. The previous app was registered to the U.S.A. They said that if the “welcome back’ screen comes up tap “No, that’s not me”. I continued on and this time logged in using my email account and all my chats, contacts etc. were restored and the app now shows my Thailand number.

Thank you for all of your suggestions.

Thanks for getting back to us with the solution. Has helped me!

18 hours ago, srowndedbyh2o said:

They told me to uninstall the app, and reinstall

Well this was suggested early on...

On 4/9/2022 at 8:05 AM, mtls2005 said:

Alternatively you could do a fresh install, register then restore your back up.

8 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Well this was suggested early on...

Yes, and I thank you for the suggestion, however, being the paranoid person I can sometimes be, I was hoping for another solution due to the fear of loosing everything I've saved in the app if I tried to delete and reinstall. Getting the "Official" word and instructions from LINE made me somewhat more confident enough to give it a try.

12 hours ago, srowndedbyh2o said:

Yes, and I thank you for the suggestion, however, being the paranoid person I can sometimes be, I was hoping for another solution due to the fear of loosing everything I've saved in the app if I tried to delete and reinstall. Getting the "Official" word and instructions from LINE made me somewhat more confident enough to give it a try.

OK, makes sense. Sort of.

But why even ask here then?