Identification

Can anyone tell me what type of snake this is in the photo? I am pretty sure it is non-venomous but would like to know what type of snake it is. I found it outside the kitchen door and took it to a safe place where I released it.

20220409_182343.jpg

Edited by Photoguy21
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

There's a Google Thai snakes ID site with pix you can look it up there.

I will. I did look up a book on Thai snakes but I didnt see it. It was limited in the content though and I am sure snakes come in a variety of colours for a the same type of snake.

Looking it up on the internet it appears to be a Copperhead Racer. Is venomous but not lethal to people. Would cause swelling though.

It was quite ready to attack as it coiled back ready to strike. Anyway it has been removed by me and can continue on with its life somewhere else.

Edited by Photoguy21

11 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

I will. I did look up a book on Thai snakes but I didnt see it. It was limited in the content though and I am sure snakes come in a variety of colours for a the same type of snake.

Looking it up on the internet it appears to be a Copperhead Racer. Is venomous but not lethal to people. Would cause swelling though.

It was quite ready to attack as it coiled back ready to strike. Anyway it has been removed by me and can continue on with its life somewhere else.

In quite a few rural villages, the locals would probably be eating it.

• Like 1

Rapid response as usual from the Snakes of Bangkok Facebook group (there's a group for various regions of Thailand).

He's a Radiated Rat Snake(Coelognathus radiatus)

Also called Copperhead Racer

Non-venomous/harmless.

Protected by Thai law. Good for rodent control. 

No problem of having them around

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Rapid response as usual from the Snakes of Bangkok Facebook group (there's a group for various regions of Thailand).

He's a Radiated Rat Snake(Coelognathus radiatus)

Also called Copperhead Racer

Non-venomous/harmless.

Protected by Thai law. Good for rodent control. 

No problem of having them around

I never kill a snake they do great work in pest control. I may be strange, ok so I am, but I think they are beautiful animals

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

I never kill a snake they do great work in pest control. I may be strange, ok so I am, but I think they are beautiful animals

They are beautiful as long as they keep well away from me.

Australia is a country which houses 11 out of 12 of the most venomous creatures in the world. As far as snakes go, the inland taipan is considered to be the world's deadliest. A single bite contains enough venom to kill up to 280 humans. So my background makes me nervous around snakes.

Just now, Lacessit said:

They are beautiful as long as they keep well away from me.

Australia is a country which houses 11 out of 12 of the most venomous creatures in the world. As far as snakes go, the inland taipan is considered to be the world's deadliest. A single bite contains enough venom to kill up to 280 humans. So my background makes me nervous around snakes.

The trouble with Australia is that everything is out to kill you so I can understand your concern. In general though most snakes dont want to be bothered with you after all you are too big to eat

• Haha 2