Gas tanker overturns in fireball after collision with truck trailer

webfact

7pm.jpg

Daily News Thai Caption: Gasoline tanker burns

Mae Thor police responded after reports of a collision between a truck trailer and a gas tanker on the Tak to Mae Sot road in front of the Tak Land Development office yesterday. 

The gas tanker was on fire and there were intermittent explosions.

Fire threatened to burn some houses down as the fuel rode on water being used to douse the flames. This caused firemen to switch to chemical retardants. 

It was an hour before the blaze was under control, reported Daily News.

The gas tanker had hit a truck with a full load of iron building materials. The latter vehicle was damaged in the rear.

Building materials were spread all over the road.

Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

IMG_20220412_035638-1024x577.jpg

Picture: Daily News

The driver of the gas tanker - Arnat, 42 - got out alive but suffered burns to his face and arms and was taken to Taksin Maharat hospital.

Thai Rath said the accident caused a 5 kilometer tailback heading towards Mae Sot, the situation made worse by the large number of Songkran vehicles on the road. 

Health insurance plans that meet the long stay visa requirements

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-04-13

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

Fire threatened to burn some houses down as the fuel rode on water being used to douse the flames. This caused firemen to switch to chemical retardants.

The only retardants at that scene would smell like burnt roast pork after the fire was extinguished!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Fire threatened to burn some houses down as the fuel rode on water being used to douse the flames. This caused firemen to switch to chemical retardants.

Must train harder, water is cheap but not effective on fuel fires.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

It is implied that water was initially used on the fire. Water is not normally used on oil based fires. All the water does is spread the fire.

I do agree with you but first response vehicles do not normally carry foam, it requires a specially designed vehicle. I wouldn't expect firemen just to stand and watch the blaze. It's their duty and instinct to have a go no matter what.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, webfact said:

The gas tanker had hit a truck with a full load of iron building materials. The latter vehicle was damaged in the rear.

Sounds like the gas tanker ran into the back of the other vehicle. Possibly speeding, brake failure., or both.

On 4/13/2022 at 11:53 AM, Photoguy21 said:

It is implied that water was initially used on the fire. Water is not normally used on oil based fires. All the water does is spread the fire.

I was taught that back in 1960 along with quite a few other methods. Carbon dioxide on aircraft start up fires, dry powder for electrical fires, foam for fuel fires.

On 4/13/2022 at 8:31 PM, Moonlover said:

I do agree with you but first response vehicles do not normally carry foam, it requires a specially designed vehicle. I wouldn't expect firemen just to stand and watch the blaze. It's their duty and instinct to have a go no matter what.

Yes it does require a special vehicle and every Gas plant you go on has the necessary facilities to deal with such an event. The fire service is I am sure well trained and should have the appropriate equipment for the job. They may get the wrong information at times but they fixed it so no real problem.

• Like 1