Drunk driving spikes on second day of seven dangerous days during Songkran

snoop1130

7 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

They'll never eradicate drunk driving here, and here's one of the main reasons why. We had our house warming party on Tuesday, and one of our guests, who we new was a police officer, turned up in uniform and already intoxicated. He consumed 2 bottles of whiskey, on his own, and when he left the party hopped into his marked police car, and drove away. There was no way he was in any condition to drive, but when the cops drink and drive the public are going to follow their example, the same as they do with speeding and general disregard for the road rules.

I could tell a very similar story

5 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Who is going to enforce all this? You need a competent and reliable Police force to enforce, which Thailand doesn't have.

I actually think the average cop could do a good job if he had a set of rules that the higher ups did not keep Changing

9 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Who is going to enforce all this? You need a competent and reliable Police force to enforce, which Thailand doesn't have.

As long the police is participating in fines there will be no change. Change the system and the police will change.

The best change has to start from the top........the fish stinks from the head .....as you know.

18 hours ago, moe666 said:

How many actual crimes do you think have ever been stopped by pro active police work. My own thinking is about zero any where in the world not just Thailand.

In the UK I would not dream of going out in my car without wearing a seatbelt; checking my lights. I would not run a red light or use a motorbike without wearing a helmet.  I wouldn't even use my phone. Now how do you think this happens?  Chance or regular deterrents like prosecution/police fines?  Thailand's lazy, grasping cops do nothing to deter the above crimes except appeal for videos from the public.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Just curious... How can you identify the drivers which are not drunk ?

(I know, somewhat of a Thai bash), but half the drivers are driving so poorly, their road behaviour is the same as drunk drivers. 

So true , just watching some of them trying to park at Lotus , wife gets out the pickup then as the chap is reversing she is waving her arms to indicate which way to turn the steering wheel. Sometimes I see them paralel park and I could park my motorbike between the vehicle and the kerb. Why their driving is so poor I don't know.

15 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

There was a band/group in the 70s called Capability Brown , one song they did was ' Keep death off the road ,drive on the pavement '.

Well done.

Never heard of the group but did the google/youtube thing.

Now added to my "driving" favourites.????????

1 hour ago, toofarnorth said:

So true , just watching some of them trying to park at Lotus , wife gets out the pickup then as the chap is reversing she is waving her arms to indicate which way to turn the steering wheel. Sometimes I see them paralel park and I could park my motorbike between the vehicle and the kerb. Why their driving is so poor I don't know.

No training, no proper instruction, no proper competency system including assessment of driving ability, complete ignorance of the local highway code, insufficient practice of maneuvers such as parallel parking, reversing round corners, backing into spaces etc.

• Like 2

why even bother talking about this on here..never going to change ..the stupid ones that drink n drive know there is no penalty..slap on the wrist on your way...cops are as much to blame lazy don't give a damn..its what they are used to ..move on nothing to see here 

5 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

So true indeed. My wifes son, 35+ years, recently went through the arms waving exercise again.

Said we were "parked- in" at a simple park spot.

Another Thai friend backed out in one go with son "directing" him.

Could have driven a three dog trailer out.

Not the 1st time he has done this. We were all sober. 

Now I just shake my head. 

I'm getting too old to change their nappies now.