Thai spirit house rules and Thai animism intro

RamenRaven

House ready to move in after eight months in hotels/resorts.....water connected, electricity up and running......can't move in for another three weeks...why?

The local soothsayer has yet determined the 'lucky' date on which we can move!!!

On 4/17/2022 at 11:02 PM, Heng said:

'Waiing' these various landmarks, spirit houses, etc. is a quick shortcut to 'appearing local.'   (if you want to project that image for whatever reason)

Advanced: do it while driving.   

Had a bus driver do it on a very twisty road up along a mountain ridge years ago - no guard rails.  He did it right at a turn where there was a spirit house and many, many garlands and whatnot.  Right where people had gone off the road and plunged several hundred meters to their deaths. It was a road from Loei to Phitsanulok, probably in Phetchabun.  The old orange bus had loose steering and suspension.  But all was OK, as there were a half dozen monks in the back. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2022 at 8:11 PM, kokesaat said:

My Thai wife and I lived in Texas for 14 years before moving here.  When we put our house on the market, our realtor told us it'd probably be a few months before we'd sell (back in 1996).  A few days after we put the for sale sign out, an elderly mother/daughter looked and made an offer.  My wife says she put sticky rice on all the fence posts around the yard as an offering to the spirits for a quick sale.  Who can argue with that?

That makes me wonder, how often do Thais set up spirit houses or at least make offerings to house spirits when they are overseas in non-animist countries?

Because, typically in corporate America, houses are strictly viewed as objects that people profit off of, not as spirit dwellings. Previous home owners most likely did not believe in spirits, so you wouldn't have to maintain any spirit paraphernalia that was left behind.

Since you don't see any spirit houses around you, so how would a Thai know that there are spirits in their new home abroad, and that they would behave like Thai house spirits?

27 minutes ago, kokesaat said:

"Since you don't see any spirit houses around you, so how would a Thai know that there are spirits in their new home abroad, and that they would behave like Thai house spirits?"

We lived in Korea, Taiwan, Okinawa, Panama.......according to my wife, all of the houses had spirits.  Nothing frightening......but there were times when she'd leave some food/incense out for them.  

Here in Thailand we have 3 rai of land....no spirit house.  I asked why.  She said there were no bad spirits in our area, so no need for one.  That said, she makes regular offerings of a coconut, incense, some snacks, and 3 cigarettes to keep the good spirits appeased.

I haven't seen cigarettes placed as offerings before.

But maybe that's because I didn't pay close attention.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2022 at 8:11 PM, kokesaat said:

My Thai wife and I lived in Texas for 14 years before moving here.  When we put our house on the market, our realtor told us it'd probably be a few months before we'd sell (back in 1996).  A few days after we put the for sale sign out, an elderly mother/daughter looked and made an offer.  My wife says she put sticky rice on all the fence posts around the yard as an offering to the spirits for a quick sale.  Who can argue with that?

If Thais think that house spirits are supposed to originate from the spirits of the previous owners (I think the souls of the previous owners?), then wouldn't Texan house spirits prefer Whataburgers, Texan BBQ, and Tex-Mex treats instead of sticky rice?

Why not place offerings of pecan pies and cornbread?

On 4/16/2022 at 9:52 PM, Will B Good said:

That is certainly a truism in Thailand......around the house, in the garden, driveway, patio, pavement outside.......

Objects, when has rubbish and useless junk been classed as anything other than rubbish and useless junk? 

• Haha 1