Wrong phone number

peterpeter

Can anyone help with strange phone number.

Called wife Wednesday Friday and Saturday no answer finally got through later on Saturday

We both have caller ID on our phones and have not changed phones or numbers for years but

for some reason this last week when I phoned her it shows  a completely different number and

because of all the scam phone calls lately she would not answer and was quite shocked when

her curiosity took over and answering the phone at last heard me the number appears to be from Bangkok

and is completely different to mine.

Has this happened to anyone else and does anyone know how this can happen.

Kind Regards Peter

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

story doesn't make sense, normal for thai girl lying, check her phone and call it see what happens, i suspect she tell a lie, was busy so couldn't answer the call

This is a possibility,  because I have a friend who calls me from the states all the time, and it comes up a different  number quute often and says originates from inside  Thailand, even though it is an ocean away,  so her explanation  does hold water.

• Like 1

Hi oxo, yes calling from Uk

I have used Lycra mobile for years and its only to make contact then we Skype

unless Lycra have changed its format my number has always appeared in her caller ID

Called today same thing Bangkok number now put down as me calling

Thank you for your replies Peter

14 minutes ago, peterpeter said:

unless Lycra have changed its format my number has always appeared in her caller ID

Its normal Peter. Its also normal for Thai ladies to not anwser calls from numbers they dont recognize. Mine is always worried about the insurance people or others trying to sell her something. Drives me crazy, i just tell her to answer it and tell them thanks but no thanks.

Hi Smutcakes,

I understand wife says such a large increase this last year in scam calls that she is reluctant to answer 

unrecognized numbers

Partly my fault I have drummed into her to be wary always someone wants to put hand in your pocket

This last two weeks I have received three scam calls in UK first in a long while must have entered my number

were I should not have, be careful and safe everyone.

Regards Peter

• Like 1

On 4/17/2022 at 4:58 PM, peterpeter said:

FWIW. Skype to mobile a Thai mobile is rather cheap, and it will now also display the number you set on the caller ID, this is reasonably new, when I called previously to the U.K. it was a random number. It now shows my Thai number on the U.K. caller ID

I haven’t tried calling from the U.K. but see no reason why it would be any different. So you could first call to SWMBOs phone for a fraction of a penny as a heads up, then call again on Skype to Skype 

Edited by sometimewoodworker

Hi sometimewoodworker,

That is what I have done for the last 10 years use cheap phone with dedicated international calls to Thailand 

Just to say OK Skype now end call and we pick up on Skype it has worked well for us.

Just this last month caller ID shows Bangkok number not mine she now recognizes this number as me calling and answers

Something has obviously changed which has left us a little baffled as to what.

People have answered on this forum to say they to have had a different number show up in caller ID so not

an isolated or unusual incident.

Always good on this forum for help and shared experiences, I read every day some people in real need of help

getting excellent advice from genuine people willing to be of assistant.

Myself a few years back problem with 60 day Visa Question asked help given problem resolved Thank you

Regards Peter

On 4/19/2022 at 5:36 PM, peterpeter said:

Just this last month caller ID shows Bangkok number not mine she now recognizes this number as me calling and answers

Something has obviously changed which has left us a little baffled as to what.

Go to your picture in Skype, under “Manage” click on “Skype Profile” There you can set a “home” number, this is the number displayed in caller ID

confusion resolved 

previously the caller ID was the number actually used by Skype to originate the call, and that was always a random number.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

Hi Sometimewoodworker

Skype was not the issue both my wife and myself do not remain on line 24/7

I call using cheap international call just to make contact at this point we go online and use Skype no issues there.

It,s the phone I use for the cheap call after years of displaying it,s number ( so wife knows it,s me )

Now when I call  a Bangkok number appears, at first wife would not answer ( unknown number )

But now she knows this number now relates to me so we are Ok

Just wondered why after years that  my caller ID number should change to a Bangkok one

regards Peter

23 hours ago, peterpeter said:

Hi Sometimewoodworker

Skype was not the issue both my wife and myself do not remain on line 24/7

I call using cheap international call just to make contact at this point we go online and use Skype no issues there.

It,s the phone I use for the cheap call after years of displaying it,s number ( so wife knows it,s me )

Now when I call  a Bangkok number appears, at first wife would not answer ( unknown number )

But now she knows this number now relates to me so we are Ok

Just wondered why after years that  my caller ID number should change to a Bangkok one

regards Peter

That is virtually certainly an IP phone service then as the local call via an international IP route gives the cheapest rate.