No vote but strong opinions: Bangkok expats ponder governor election

webfact

Bangkok-election-expat_web.jpg

Most expatriates in Bangkok have no right to vote in the May 22 gubernatorial election, yet the outcome affects their everyday lives just as much as those of other residents.

The quality of life in this city of around 10 million residents relies on how effectively the governor and Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) deal with the Big Mango’s big challenges, including traffic congestion, waste disposal, pollution, and flooding.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

Certainly, the Bangkok governor and the BMA alone have insufficient authority and money for large infrastructure projects — so they need to cooperate with the central government and relevant state agencies.

Thai PBS World talks to long-term expats in Bangkok about their views on candidates and their policy platforms, as well as what the next governor should do to make the Thai capital a better home for its residents.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/no-vote-but-strong-opinions-bangkok-expats-ponder-governor-election/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-04-19

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai PBS World talks to long-term expats in Bangkok about their views on candidates and their policy platforms, as well as what the next governor should do to make the Thai capital a better home for its residents

And who is supposed to care about the opinions of those expats? Foreigners, even those who live here for decades, have no say in politics or city planning in Thailand, and their opinions have zero effect on decision makers, as they have zero interest in such opinions.

Edited by StayinThailand2much

1 hour ago, mikesil said:

I know I will not win popularity contests for this view, but I feel compelled to express it:

As expats we should not forget our status as guests in this country.  Telling the Thais how to manage it is probably not well received, even if no objection is immediately voiced. Criticizing (sometimes ridiculing) how things are done here is unlikely to bring on the desired change. We should not mistake the Thais' instinctive aversion to confrontation as appreciation or acceptance.

I do agree with your statement.  People that come to the majority of other countries are considered guests.  They are never looked at being part of the population.  It’s not your country or it ever will be.
What the government does in Thailand is out of expats control.  Many opinions of expats are logical.  But you either have to accept what is going on, or leave it.  And this is the same for expats in many other countries. 
I don’t agree with one thing you said.  And it’s just my own opinion.  Im not saying who is right or wrong.  But I don’t think many Thais have an aversion to confrontation.  I have been here two years.  And I watch the news programs almost every evening.  I also have had issues with a few locals here. I see Thais having physical confrontations with people over. the smallest things.  Many leading to physical harm or death.  And you have an issue with one person.  And they get a group of people to back them up. 
The reactions to many things here are of an immature mentality.  And part of it.  If a person is in the wrong they take no accountability for themselves.  They will just blame the other person.  And they can’t resolve with words, it can easily turn into a physical confrontation.  
So no.  I don’t think that the locals are as passive and forgiving as people say they are.  And immaturity plays a large part into it.

And of course bad things happen in other countries.  But we are talking specifically about Thailand.  

Edited by swm59nj

1 hour ago, swm59nj said:

I do agree with your statement.  People that come to the majority of other countries are considered guests.  They are never looked at being part of the population.  It’s not your country or it ever will be.
What the government does in Thailand is out of expats control.  Many opinions of expats are logical.  But you either have to accept what is going on, or leave it.  And this is the same for expats in many other countries. 
I don’t agree with one thing you said.  And it’s just my own opinion.  Im not saying who is right or wrong.  But I don’t think many Thais have an aversion to confrontation.  I have been here two years.  And I watch the news programs almost every evening.  I also have had issues with a few locals here. I see Thais having physical confrontations with people over. the smallest things.  Many leading to physical harm or death.  And you have an issue with one person.  And they get a group of people to back them up. 
The reactions to many things here are of an immature mentality.  And part of it.  If a person is in the wrong they take no accountability for themselves.  They will just blame the other person.  And they can’t resolve with words, it can easily turn into a physical confrontation.  
So no.  I don’t think that the locals are as passive and forgiving as people say they are.  And immaturity plays a large part into it.

And of course bad things happen in other countries.  But we are talking specifically about Thailand.  

I accept that you have only been here 2 years and maybe have seen only a limited spectrum of Thai approach to "confrontation", generally the better educated and even less educated when not drunk, will avoid face to face confrontation. In a business meeting a controversial issues will often prompt a "coffee break" where the brokers try to reach a compromise and this is then raised again in the meeting, agreed and the confrontation avoided. We foreigners should always be careful to avoid direct confrontation with Thais in normal life failure to do so can lead to unpleasant results as you suggest above