Windows security

toast1

Sending my  PC back for repair, would rather not have to do a clean install and then spend 5 hour putting everything back as I want it.

Can I just put a password on my use account, then allow the repair man access via a guest account?

Is there any way to keep my information safe, while in repair, and prevent having to delete the HD and reinstall?

If I reinstall Windows 11, I understand that doesn't delete my files, they're still accessable from the HD, so if I format the HD, will that permenanly delete my files and so provide complete security?

Thanks

If it's a hardware repair, remove your disk and get repair person to use a temporary disk to do repair.

If a software repair, then it won't be possible to do with guest account and you'll have to hand over admin credentials or make another admin account.

Even if you gave just guest account, boot could be done from another boot disk and data still reachable unless it's encrypted.

Maybe your time to swap disk drives, and plug old drive into external enclosure?

• Thanks 1

OK thanks, just heard that they are going to do a clean install.

If I want to delete all my personal information, what's the best way to do this?
Format the HD using 3rd party or Windows softare?
I think I can do this from an external Win11 install USB.

New HDD/SSD costs very little. All your data is on it.

Buy a new drive and remove old one before handing it over for repair. Then they can reinstall whatever, your data is safe with you, and you can always stick it in an external enclosure later to copy data back or just use it like that.

But if you don't need any data on your drive, just use format. See this: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-server/backup-and-storage/format-command-not-write-zeros-to-disk

Simplest way to delete data is to kill partition table, then make and format the disk from a boot disk. If you need 3x overwrite, which could take a day or more, you may need some extra tools, but generally that's an overkill.

57 minutes ago, toast1 said:

Great

If I format the HD, then reinstall Win11, can I just enter the Win11 license number or is it kept in the PC?

the license is linked to your MS account so if its the same computer when you log into the MS account it should pick it up or ask you if its the same computer

Never send my PC to be repaired, but if I had to for any reason

Many years ago only ever put the OS on 'C' drive used to be a HDD a few years ago changed to SSD drive...  120 GB is plenty and cost less then 600 baht. for SSD.

All the rest is on different HDD's  with shortcuts on Desktop + for me would be easy as my case has 5 HDD + 2 SSD Trays so could take them all out as nothing to unplug just pull the trays out if PC had to go anyplace...

I feel sure you could copy/ghost  your OS onto a new HDD/SSD, then take you present Hard drive out before handing it over..

1 hour ago, ignis said:

Never send my PC to be repaired, but if I had to for any reason

Many years ago only ever put the OS on 'C' drive used to be a HDD a few years ago changed to SSD drive...  120 GB is plenty and cost less then 600 baht. for SSD.

All the rest is on different HDD's  with shortcuts on Desktop + for me would be easy as my case has 5 HDD + 2 SSD Trays so could take them all out as nothing to unplug just pull the trays out if PC had to go anyplace...

I feel sure you could copy/ghost  your OS onto a new HDD/SSD, then take you present Hard drive out before handing it over..

I agree with this, if you don't have an SSD then get one 120 GB is sufficient but I normally take 250/256 GB (got a whole lot of apps) and then install only windows and them apps on it, save everything else somewhere else.

ninite.com can install most of the apps that people use for you very quickly after a fresh install or a Reset this PC.. on a relatively fast computer you can install Windows 10 (or 11) from a USB drive to an SSD within ±20 minutes, installing all those apps with Ninite adds maybe 5 more minutes and the rest is spent installing everything else and customizing your desktop/taskbar to your liking

you could absolutely do a Reset this PC by yourself or even fresh reinstall if you have a USB stick over 16GB, it's literally just plugging it in, pressing a button when restarting and following onscreen instructions.. if you do not have a solid state hard drive (SSD) then I would absolutely recommend that as it is one of the best upgrades to start with.

Thanks for the info.

Actually, installing apps is quite quick, as I don't use so many and Windows is quite good these days, don't need much.

The hasstle is setting up everything they way I like it.

The question is - Do I need to format the HD to protect all my info, or is a Windows reinstall enough?
I was told that my files are still accessable after a clean reinstall using Windows and a format is necessary.

If I have to do a format.

How would I install Win11 after formatting the HD? Would I download Win11 to an external USB drive from the MS website then install from there?

Thank you 

25 minutes ago, toast1 said:

Thanks for the info.

Actually, installing apps is quite quick, as I don't use so many and Windows is quite good these days, don't need much.

The hasstle is setting up everything they way I like it.

The question is - Do I need to format the HD to protect all my info, or is a Windows reinstall enough?
I was told that my files are still accessable after a clean reinstall using Windows and a format is necessary.

If I have to do a format.

How would I install Win11 after formatting the HD? Would I download Win11 to an external USB drive from the MS website then install from there?

Thank you

yeah it's called MediaCreationToolW11 (if you really want Windows 11), it will download and install to a USB for you and then you restart and hit the key to get boot prompt (depends on computer, sometimes F11 or F8) then it will let you boot from it and you can do the deletion of partitions/format right from it.

i'm not particularly scared of ppl accessing my information ever through a format but i suppose its possible to retrieve "some" information with data recovery software

from the ones I tried, I wasn't even able to retrieve working files (corrupted pictures etc) even if i did it without formatting or re-writing on the drive but i was using free tools.

anyways, I'd still go with Windows 10 but it's just personal preference

Thanks, I don't mind Win11, it has some improvements, worth getting.

Its better designed, though there's not much in it really. The big thing is that Taskbar Toolbars have been removed.

Edited by toast1

On 4/19/2022 at 11:53 PM, toast1 said:

Great

If I format the HD, then reinstall Win11, can I just enter the Win11 license number or is it kept in the PC?

Windows 10/11 key is linked to computer's hardware ID, which is generated out of serial numbers of parts in it (like CPU, etc.). Unless you change hardware bits, once you try to activate, it will just send the hardware ID and if it is already registered, it'll just apply "digital license". No need to worry if you have genuine license applied.

• Like 1

On 4/20/2022 at 11:18 PM, toast1 said:

Thanks, I don't mind Win11, it has some improvements, worth getting.

Its better designed, though there's not much in it really. The big thing is that Taskbar Toolbars have been removed.

If you're looking to modify the taskbar/toolbars/system tray/start menu you can do it with Explorer Patcher and Classic Shell

https://github.com/valinet/ExplorerPatcher

http://www.classicshell.net/

The first one is only used in Windows 11 but the second one can be used in Windows 10 too

I like my start menu very minimal Windows 7/XP style, have access to the W11 one if i click on the first option called "Start Menu (Windows)" but I haven't clicked on that option since Windows 10 apart from seeing what it was.

as you can see I have enabled Quicklaunch, by adding a toolbar and pointing it to "C:\Users\(your username)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch"

image.png.0ad96015c30d18dce7b4f6d02233e604.png

system tray is sorted properly as well like this

image.png.8c5d36b0fa11503d9d5787be596591f1.png

nothing pinned on taskbar, nothing merged. it works.

an option if you were getting annoyed with the changes.. start menu doesn't have to be this way, there's a few options and can customize 100 different ways

have fun!

Edited by kekalot