Your Water/ Electricity Supply.

baboon

So what about your supply? Can you rely on it?

Where I live the electricity supply is generally pretty decent; about 3 or 4 major blackouts a year compared to when I lived in Phuket which seemed to have 3 or 4 a week.

My bloody water supply, however is another story. From about 6 AM till 5 PM most days we get nothing more than a puny dribble meaning we have to store buckets of water in the khazi which the mozzies just love.

What about where you are?

Have you thought about installing a tank and a pump??

My thoughts exactly! Our water supply outside here is very poor indeed sounds much like yours. However outback we have a 2000 litre water tank and a Grundfos pump inside and the water in the house is great!! :o

We didn't have any water supply for 2 days last week - but we didn't know anything about it until the builders told us about it. :D

As for electric . . . crap! Well not in the sense that it goes off all the time but in the sense that it ain't got enough ampage to start our aircons! But this is being dealt with shortly with the installation of a transformer which will convert our supply to a great supply!

In Vientiane, Laos. . not Thailand I know but hey! :D

Our village fills the village tower bright and early in the morning. It's probably not right to call it a tower. It is four tanks on top of a platform. When the tanks are empty, that's it for the day. Normally we have village water from about 7:00 AM to 10: AM. We fill our storage tanks and use a pump.

The electric voltage goes up and down like a yo yo but only goes off for a couple of hours maybe every ten days or so. I can live with that.

Our village fills the village tower bright and early in the morning. It's probably not right to call it a tower. It is four tanks on top of a platform. When the tanks are empty, that's it for the day. Normally we have village water from about 7:00 AM to 10: AM. We fill our storage tanks and use a pump.

The electric voltage goes up and down like a yo yo but only goes off for a couple of hours maybe every ten days or so. I can live with that.

compared to 13 years ago in samui the water is excellant very clean and always there ,some times the presure isnt that great on the whole happy electric bounces up and down ,in stalled a voltage staberliser always 220v ,samui has come a long way :o

Same here in Pattaya . I live in Soi Koah Talo & the water well they use is way to small & are without water for any different parts of the day. The electric is goofy up down off. the only thing about it's consistency, is it's inconsistency!

i am paying 246 Bath per month for "water" although i never got a drop from the city (Pattaya) supply and rely on my own well. by the village management i was told "everybody has to pay although nobody receives water. if we don't pay our wells will be taxed by a multiple amount" :o

electricity supply is fairly stable. once a week one of the three phases conk off. sometimes for a few minutes, sometimes up to several hours. when a phase is completely off no big problems but when "semi off" (measured voltage 100-120V) then pump relays and aircon relays burn. had to replace already half a dozen.

We had a well put in,it cost 10,000 Baht.A pump to put down in the well, for another 10,000Baht.We also constructed a large cistern.We never run out of water,and have enough to last a week,or more.

The electric cuts out many times,rain,lightning,and unknown reasons.None due to our set up,we also have a transformer,as well as a proper fuse box.It's strictly a Thai thing,and beyond my control.

i am paying 246 Bath per month for "water" although i never got a drop from the city (Pattaya) supply and rely on my own well. by the village management i was told "everybody has to pay although nobody receives water. if we don't pay our wells will be taxed by a multiple amount" :o

electricity supply is fairly stable. once a week one of the three phases conk off. sometimes for a few minutes, sometimes up to several hours. when a phase is completely off no big problems but when "semi off" (measured voltage 100-120V) then pump relays and aircon relays burn. had to replace already half a dozen.

Its amazing that the Thai electricians haven't worked out a triple cutout fuse to work with this problem for three phase supply.

When one of the three phases cuts out on the 22kV side the other two should automatically cut out at or before the step down transformer.

Not so & I likewise have had numerous pieces of equipment damaged as well.

Cheers,

Soundman.

I live on a nice little estate 4 k outside Pattaya, the electricity is fairly stable but the water supply is not, it seems there is burst mains every week and when the pressure is restored it is muddy water we get, my water tank gets filled with the stuff and we have to clean all the mud out at the bottom of the tank quite often. On a stretch of mabe 1 k the main has burst different places at least 4 times the last month :D

Thanks God for cold beer and swimming pools :o

Kind regards :D

Edited by larvidchr

Can't you protect equipment with,breakers along with those multi plugs with a little fuse in them.I use them and have had no problem.On the PC's I use a back up battery with built in stabilizer.

Three phase electricity doesn't work like that. If you have one phase go down on the high tension (22kV) side of the transformer, you end up with about 105V on the phases on the low tension (220V) side. If you are operating machinery, the electrical motors are trying to do the same job & tend to overheat & burn out coils. Cutout switches don't protect against this.

Cheers,

Soundman.

Can't you protect equipment with,breakers along with those multi plugs with a little fuse in them.I use them and have had no problem.On the PC's I use a back up battery with built in stabilizer.

Three phase electricity doesn't work like that. If you have one phase go down on the high tension (22kV) side of the transformer, you end up with about 105V on the phases on the low tension (220V) side. If you are operating machinery, the electrical motors are trying to do the same job & tend to overheat & burn out coils. Cutout switches don't protect against this.

Cheers,

Soundman.

There is a unique relay designed to deal with this very problem. It protects against;

-over/undervoltage (adjustable).

-phase failure.

-phase sequence reversal.

-phase angle variation.

There is a unique relay designed to deal with this very problem. It protects against;

-phase failure.

-phase angle variation.

available WHERE Kangorito? every time a relay burns i have to call the electrician, cost for relay and work 1,500 Baht.

one phase "semi down" causes also another problem. by coincidence i passed one of the outside a/c units which is hardly ever used. compressor was running but not the fan. inside unit was shut off! luckily the compressor has a thermal overload which prevented it from burning out. on top of that the compressor could have been damaged because no evaporation within the shut-off inside unit thus pumping liquid at the intake and not gasified refrigerant.

-phase failure.

-phase angle variation.

My transformer is 250 kva. Would it work to this capacity?

Cheers,

Soundman.

"Three phase electricity doesn't work like that. If you have one phase go down on the high tension (22kV) side of the transformer, you end up with about 105V on the phases on the low tension (220V) side."

but in my case the other two phases are stable at 220V Soundman. :o

"Three phase electricity doesn't work like that. If you have one phase go down on the high tension (22kV) side of the transformer, you end up with about 105V on the phases on the low tension (220V) side."

but in my case the other two phases are stable at 220V Soundman. :o

I don't claim to fully understand the theory behind it, (need to be able to understand the theory of the square root of a negative number :D ) however, I have had a number of variations depending on which phase or phases (1,2 or 3) goes down, & how many electrical appliances such as three phase motors & three phase welders are running when the phase goes down. (current looping back through the appliance to the innactive line). Something to keep in mind is how many of the main fuses might have blown at the same time.

To test this I just go & look at the meters on the main switch board.

I have had, as you describe, only one line with a voltage drop, two lines with voltage drop & one dead, one with voltage drop & one dead. I have even had a 22kV leak into the 220V lines (caused by a large bird flying into the transformer). That little incident cost me nearly 200,000B damage. The surge arrestors didn't work & all my factories sodium vapour lamps blew. Computer, TV, telephones. Big mess.

Cheers,

Soundman.

-phase failure.

-phase angle variation.

available WHERE Kangorito? every time a relay burns i have to call the electrician, cost for relay and work 1,500 Baht.

one phase "semi down" causes also another problem. by coincidence i passed one of the outside a/c units which is hardly ever used. compressor was running but not the fan. inside unit was shut off! luckily the compressor has a thermal overload which prevented it from burning out. on top of that the compressor could have been damaged because no evaporation within the shut-off inside unit thus pumping liquid at the intake and not gasified refrigerant.

It looks like that I am one of the very few people in Thailand who know the abovementioned 'unique' relay. Methinks I should go into business.

A compressor that is slugging liquid will surely be damaged.

-phase failure.

-phase angle variation.

My transformer is 250 kva. Would it work to this capacity?

Cheers,

Soundman.

Soundman, it's a relay so it will be interposed between the supply & the switchgear. To answer your question simply - yes.

Edited by elkangorito

It looks like that I am one of the very few people in Thailand who know the abovementioned 'unique' relay. Methinks I should go into business.

and you and me must be two of the few people in Thailand who know that "liquid hammering" destroys compressors.

:o

Soundman, it's a relay so it will be interposed between the supply & the switchgear. To answer your question simply - yes.

It would have to be a fairly substantial relay (or magnetic switch). Your talking switching capacity of over 400 amps per phase.

Soundman.

and you and me must be two of the few people in Thailand who know that "liquid hammering" destroys compressors.

:o

You're probably right Doc. clever6613.gif

It would have to be a fairly substantial relay (or magnetic switch). Your talking switching capacity of over 400 amps per phase.

Soundman.

Interposing relays are generally used as slaves & therefore only carry & switch 'control currents & voltages'.