Bangkok Bank App and Travelling Abroad

For the first time in 3 years I am leaving Thailand to travel to Europe.

I have the Bangkok Bank Mobile app on my phone and I will need to transfer money from my UK bank account to myself to my Bangkok Bank account via Wise and then use the app to pay bills/give some money to Mrs Razz in Thailand etc.

My question is basically:

What do I have to do to make sure my app still works on my phone? I am on AIS.

Do I have to contact Bangkok Bank to tell them I am travelling?

Will my ATM work abroad?

Many thanks

RAZZ

1)  You just need it on the same phone you installed it on with Bangkok Bank's registration process (usually involves get a pin at your BB branch)

2)  No

3)  Yes, but watch out for the ATM charges to use it out-of-network and out-of-country

At least that has been my experience.   I do not use my AIS SIM abroad, but utilize an in-country pin.  It works but, again, has to be on the phone registered to Bangkok Bank.   I may be repeating myself multiple times on this, but to be clear, the phone device matters not the SIM card.

Edited by tjintx
  • Like 1

I have a Thai friend in Dubai with Bangkok Bank and her app works just fine with a Dubai SIM, she lost her Thai one. ATM use I don't know but I've seen reports that it works just fine but like the poster above says, you will be hit with fees.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

App should work ok but if you lose your phone it might be a problem so ensure you have online access set up so you have backup

Good advice. You can get ibanking setup through their ATMs, it will give you a temp username and password. I think it does use OTP for some things though.

37 minutes ago, RAZZELL said:

I am on AIS.

Postpaid or prepaid?

Enable international roaming (*125*1#SEND), just in case you need to receive an OTP via SMS. They only use an OTP SMS for some activities, can't recall which exactly, maybe when you change any limits?

Maybe turn off mobile data unless you add on a roaming data plan.

You will need internet/data access (WiFi, or mobile data) to sue the app.

Install and familiarize yourself with the MyAIS mobile app.

I use the mobile app quite often here, to pay bills and transfer money to other BBL and SCB accounts. I only need to enter my mobile app PIN, or use fingerprint.

53 minutes ago, RAZZELL said:

Will my ATM work abroad?

Which type or style of ATM Debit card do you have? Assuming UnionPay then the ATM must display that logo.

I'd review the terms and conditions of your specific card. 

9 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Postpaid or prepaid?

Enable international roaming (*125*1#SEND), just in case you need to receive an OTP via SMS. They only use an OTP SMS for some activities, can't recall which exactly, maybe when you change any limits?

Maybe turn off mobile data unless you add on a roaming data plan.

You will need internet/data access (WiFi, or mobile data) to sue the app.

Install and familiarize yourself with the MyAIS mobile app.

I use the mobile app quite often here, to pay bills and transfer money to other BBL and SCB accounts. I only need to enter my mobile app PIN, or use fingerprint.

Which type or style of ATM Debit card do you have? Assuming UnionPay then the ATM must display that logo.

I'd review the terms and conditions of your specific card. 

I have the AIS Pre-paid.

ATM card is Be1st Smart with a Mastercard logo.

RAZZ

8 minutes ago, RAZZELL said:

ATM card is Be1st Smart with a Mastercard logo.

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Cards/Be1st-Smart-Card/Be1st-Smart-TPN-Mastercard

9 minutes ago, RAZZELL said:

I have the AIS Pre-paid.

Add value to cover your trip, extend your expiry to cover your trip duration, enable IR, install/register the myAIS app, consider a data add on or plan to get a local SIM.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Cards/Be1st-Smart-Card/Be1st-Smart-TPN-Mastercard

Add value to cover your trip, extend your expiry to cover your trip duration, enable IR, install/register the myAIS app, consider a data add on or plan to get a local SIM.

I just use WiFi.  Used the app all over the world on WiFi without a problem. Ditto for my SCB app.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, HauptmannUK said:

I just use WiFi.  Used the app all over the world on WiFi without a problem. Ditto for my SCB app.

Understood. Yes, we can all agree that the mobile app, or ibanking web access both work fine on WiFi, or mobile data. And that OTP SMSes are only used for specific actions unrelated to paying bills or transfering money within your set limits.

The recommendations re: AIS were more about general connectivity (voice, text and data) than using the mobile app. 

Personally I'd also recommend enabling WiFi Calling.

• Like 1

FWIW the Bualuang mBanking app was updated (3.16.1) on Wednesday, 20 April.

Some updates I noticed: in-app/native push notifications, ability to change registered phone number.

WHAT'S NEW
New features
• Request statement for both Thai baht and FCD savings accounts
• Change registered mobile number
• Redo transactions from transaction history

The last two times I needed a 2FA SMS OTP:

added a new, second phone

changed daily limits

• Like 2