Video: Gold shop robbery in Lamphun - recycling factory owner surrenders to police

webfact

2pm5.jpg

Picture: 77kaoded

A video published by 77kaoded showed the moments when two armed men robbed the Narisara gold shop in the Chatuchak market in Lamphun, northern Thailand on Sunday.

The men grabbed 8 trays of jewelry from behind the counter escaping in a white pick-up with no plate.

Their haul was 50 baht weight of gold (worth about 1.5 million baht).

But they were soon traced to a recycling factory 5 kilometers away in Pasak sub-district where some of the gold and weapons were found.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

Suphakorn, the owner of the factory, is in custody after surrendering to police. His accomplice remains at large. 

The media suggested that the reason for the robbery was because the owner was in debt.

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-04-25

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

2 hours ago, connda said:

I don't know why people hit gold shops.  This is like the third heist in as many months up here in Lamphun and the cops always catch the robbers.  :thumbsup:

Look at the lack of security, it's an easy target.

Getting away with it is another thing altogether due to stupidity and grasses mainly.

2 hours ago, connda said:

I don't know why people hit gold shops.  This is like the third heist in as many months up here in Lamphun and the cops always catch the robbers.  :thumbsup:

Willie Sutton's classic response, "Because that's where the money is"  when asked why he robbed banks would seem to apply to gold shops in Thailand as well.

Edited by MisterTee
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, PJ71 said:
10 hours ago, connda said:

Look at the lack of security, it's an easy target.

Getting away with it is another thing altogether due to stupidity and grasses mainly.

Yes get caught so quickly as the morons forget that all Thai urban streets are covered by CCTV

On 4/25/2022 at 1:31 PM, MisterTee said:

Willie Sutton's classic response, "Because that's where the money is"  when asked why he robbed banks would seem to apply to gold shops in Thailand as well.

Just what Thailand needs... a Willie Sutton to show them how it's done.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Holy poop, I know this guy.

Him and his wife have been round my home.

My family visited his home.

Really nice guy, always polite, bought me dinner many times.

Asked my woman why I'd not seen him in a while.

She said he's in jail and pointed me to this story.

Edited by BritManToo