Phuket Dead

Ling Kae

Pattyboy you are scaring me now. I get one holiday a year with my kids and i like it to be a good one. If i have to worry about the locals not being friendly i dont see much point in going.

I have lived in Bangkok for the past 8 years and i have found the local people to be very friendly so why should Phuket be any different.

Thanks for the tips from the others that replied. i find it to be essential to have local knowledge because you can be so near to something special but miss it if you dont know that its there.

Cheers Rick.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pattyboy comes off like he's got a chip on his shoulder. For what reason is is anyones guess.

People like that often rub others the wrong way and have unfortunate experiences.

Phuket while catering to wide range of farang trade is still friendly and welcoming.

It about attitude. Having fun is about attitude.

Thai people are inherently about having fun.

Phuket isn't that different apart from the obvious scams which are easy to ignore and avoid.

Like all the loud and obnoxious farang tits in Pattaya, they are easy to ignore and avoid.

It you act like a tit you will get either ignored or treated like a tit.

Wherever you go there you are!

Pattyboy comes off like he's got a chip on his shoulder. For what reason is is anyones guess.

People like that often rub others the wrong way and have unfortunate experiences.

Phuket while catering to wide range of farang trade is still friendly and welcoming.

Phuket isn't that different apart from the obvious scams which are easy to ignore and avoid.

Like all the loud and obnoxious farang tits in Pattaya, they are easy to ignore and avoid.

I have absolutely no intention of acting like a tit i just want a good holiday. But i know what you mean about the way that some people attract problems. I am also very used to the scams so no worries there.

Cheers Rick

oi.....lobotomy? watch it sunshine!

My sincere best wishes that you get well soon after your sense of humour bypass operation.

Love and kisses,

Sir Burr.

I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

Rick

No borracho, I don't have a chip on my shoulder. I'm simply stating an observation. Like I said, I've lived in Thailand for over 7 years, and I have traveled here extensively, experiencing lots of happy times and great holidays around this country that I can use compare to that December trip to Phuket. I didn't leave Phuket feeling anger, and I tried to justify the unfriendliness to myself and my brother (who had never been to Thailand before) by speculating that perhaps the people are still feeling the effect of the tsunami. If anything, I felt sorry for these unfriendly people who appeared to be so obsessed with making money that it dominated their very essence. We went to Phuket full of optimism and in a typically good holiday mood, but encountered a string of sour souls who truly dampened our spirits. My brother easily noticed the difference in the attitudes of people once we started to travel around other areas of the country.

By the way, I would gently advise that making personal attacks ("has a chip on his shoulder...People like that often rub others the wrong way...all the loud and obnoxious farang tits in Pattaya") doesn't help your credibility. Perhaps a well worded and thoughtful rebuttal will carry more weight in the future. I noticed that other forum members also found your post to be an unfortunate one. Jai yen, my fellow forum user.

Rick

Nope, not Rick, but Dorothy Parker.

Hi Sir Burr. Please explain who is Dorothy Parker?

Cheers Rick

The sentence "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" is a quote from Dorothy Parker, an American lady who was famous for her wit and quotable sayings (bit like Oscar Wilde). You never attributed the quote, or, used quotation marks, so I thought I'd let people know who's quote it was.

"Men don't make passes at women with glasses" is another Dorothy Parker quote.

Edited by Sir Burr

Rick

Cheers Rick

The sentence "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" is a quote from Dorothy Parker, an American lady who was famous for her wit and quotable sayings (bit like Oscar Wilde). You never attributed the quote, or, used quotation marks, so I thought I'd let people know who's quote it was.

Thanks for the clarification Sir Burr. I was under the impression that it was Mae West

Cheers Rick.

Rick

Cheers Rick

Thanks for the clarification Sir Burr. I was under the impression that it was Mae West

Cheers Rick.

I think the correct quote from Dorothy Parker was:

"Men seldom make passes at girls who wear glasses" :D

Just my 2 baht worth!! :o

Well ... I had a couple of hours where it was not raining to ride over to Patong on the bike for a much needed Starbucks fix! ... Patong sure seemed busy enough to me! There were many people from all over .. chatted with some folks from Singapore and from England and then some that I didn't ask where they were from! Mostly couples and families.

I did see a few of the 'tattooed/shaved heads' guys wandering around with last night's date on their arms ... but fewer than in High Season. Overall I'd say that the numbers looked pretty good for this time of year ... out on beach road on a rainy day!

(taking my puppy with me always gets people to stop and chat ... great ice breaker!)

Was in Phuket last Saturday......everything is so bloody expensive and even the hotel rates have not come down yet. I really hope that they have a bad high season or some disaster takes place that will cause an overall change and people there become more realistic in their service and also in their prices.Actually in terms of businesses, it seems that they are more farang touts then those South Asians, these farang touts are not so obvious but they run businesses there and try to "make recommendations" about everything or try to get you to invest in things etc....most predominatly fellow British blokes, Germans and Swedish chaps.

Was in Phuket last Saturday......everything is so bloody expensive and even the hotel rates have not come down yet. I really hope that they have a bad high season or some disaster takes place that will cause an overall change and people there become more realistic in their service and also in their prices.Actually in terms of businesses, it seems that they are more farang touts then those South Asians, these farang touts are not so obvious but they run businesses there and try to "make recommendations" about everything or try to get you to invest in things etc....most predominatly fellow British blokes, Germans and Swedish chaps.

Thanks so much for your kind sentiment..... just the sort of chap we don't really need here :o

Ummmm what was so expensive? and particularly how much did you pay for whatever it is you thought was expensive?

Regarding your 'disaster' comment .... you sure are a swell guy! :o

Thanks for your very kind wishes and wishing you plenty of happiness, success and a good life too! :o

As someone who lived through the last disaster, I think I speak for everyone in the hospitality business in Phuket when I make the following recommendation for you:

"don't come back."

Always loved this quote!

This one too!

The sentence "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" is a quote from Dorothy Parker

I could have sworn that this was W.C. Fields........?

Always loved this quote!

This one too!

The sentence "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" is a quote from Dorothy Parker

Tom Waits, even..

Always loved this quote!

This one too!

Tom Waits, even..

Fred Allen too...

Given ther recent history of Phuket i find that remark sickening. Get a life you sad bastard.

i agree with everyones sentiments regarding Vincent32. not very nice at all.

so...you come to phuket and expect to get everything for rock bottom prices, do you? why is that so? if it was YOUR business/hotel/whatever that people came to and expected to pay next to nothing, how would YOU feel about that? people screwing you down on every single thing that they need to pay for isnt a nice feeling.

hotels still have staff to pay and feed, service charge to pay their staff, bills to pay, insurances, taxes etc. by giving rooms away for next to nothing, they cheapen their product as well as not being able to pay the bills at the end of the month.

have a think about it.

Best to think before you type Vincent32. Let it be a warning for future posts...