No Youtube

LoveThai

If not having YouTube is a problem, you might want to rethink your plans of coming to Thailand.

hahahahaha... :D :D

well said.

Another fan of censorship. :D

Should Pattaya be nuked also? :o

That went over your head I think. What Bendix meant, and SJ and others (including myself) agree on, is that out of all the pros and cons to weigh before moving, the ability to connect to YouTube is hardly a big deal. Where Bendix made his mistake was assuming that satire would be understood by all.

A person can do anything they want on the internet via proxie servers.

What Thailand does to the internet is indeed censorship.

Before the discussion heads down this track, I'd like to remind members of the Forum Rules and the following in particular:

"We do not allow discussions of proxies or other methods of bypassing government blocking of websites."

Thank you for your understanding.

Where Bendix made his mistake was assuming that satire would be understood by all.

A common mistake to make on this forum it seems...

Yes,the satiric nature of his posts could be seen as telling people that they have no life....or no life according to Bendix. :o

If not having YouTube is a problem, you might want to rethink your plans of coming to Thailand.

hahahahaha... :D :D

well said.

Another fan of censorship decency. :D

*edited in the interest of truth*

Thank you.

Rather disingenuous of you isn't it?

Decency isn't synonymous with censorship.

And who decides what is decent?

What give you or anyone to impose your "brand" of decency on anyone?

What would you do about Pattaya or the Nana Plaza or Soi Cowboy?

Would you choose to protect me from those places?

Can you protect us from the Thai issaan brothels who pluck 13 -14 year old girls from their parents?

What are you prepared to do in the name of decency. Can you say "Taliban"? :o

Edited by borracho

I for one think the comments by Bendix are right on, thoughtful and very pragmatic; short and to the point.

to ThaiLove: Maybe YouTube is blocked but i am sure myspace, myface, myfriends, mydog, myplants or whatever aren't blocked and you can spend your time updating your blogs which probably nobody reads anyways.

Finally; a word of caution when you finally get to Thailand: BEWARE, THERE ARE TAXI TOUTS waiting at the airports. If you dare write about how mean, nasty and pushy they are then you will inevitably bring the full wrath of Bendix down upon you.

Can't wait to welcome you to Thailand.

:o

:D

You might not believe it but I think I'm better off without Youtube.

It's full of <deleted>, it takes too much time to sift through it, and the alleged benefits are miniscule.

It seems so clear now, when I don't have to do it every day.

I use Metacafe and their "client" - a separate application that downloads all the new clips in the background, you can preview and delete them right away, and it automatically deletes all the old stuff that you didn't want to be saved forever. Oh, and it actually saves all the clips on your hard disk, so you can view them when you have time. With Youtube I had to use various browser plugins to save clips for watching later.

I for one think the comments by Bendix are right on, thoughtful and very pragmatic; short and to the point.

to ThaiLove: Maybe YouTube is blocked but i am sure myspace, myface, myfriends, mydog, myplants or whatever aren't blocked and you can spend your time updating your blogs which probably nobody reads anyways.

Finally; a word of caution when you finally get to Thailand: BEWARE, THERE ARE TAXI TOUTS waiting at the airports. If you dare write about how mean, nasty and pushy they are then you will inevitably bring the full wrath of Bendix down upon you.

Can't wait to welcome you to Thailand.

:o

:D

Hi, thks for your kindness and concern. i will not really like to expose myself much in this forum but i am not from some far away farang land and have visited LOS quite often so i am kind of familiar with the thai culture and env. in other words, i am not a newbie with LOS.

anyway, the purpose of this thread that i point out about youtube is that there is this guy call paul pott who sang so well and youtube seems to be the "in" place for such clips, just like search engine to google and it will be a waste not to have it in LOS.

Kind of sad that such freedom is restricted.

Edited by LoveThai

didn't think much of youtube before the britain's got talent videos of mobile phone salesman paul potts singing nessun dorma and 6 year old connie talbot singing somewhere over the rainbow hooked me.tried to watch the videos at itv but only people in britain can see them there so youtube is it for anyone else.

He has a beautiful voice. The semi-final song "Time to say goodbye" sound as good as Andrea Bocelli.

You might not believe it but I think I'm better off without Youtube.

It's full of <deleted>, it takes too much time to sift through it, and the alleged benefits are miniscule.

It seems so clear now, when I don't have to do it every day.

I use Metacafe and their "client" - a separate application that downloads all the new clips in the background, you can preview and delete them right away, and it automatically deletes all the old stuff that you didn't want to be saved forever. Oh, and it actually saves all the clips on your hard disk, so you can view them when you have time. With Youtube I had to use various browser plugins to save clips for watching later.

Metacafe is ok, but doesn't have the vast library of youtube. For music fans especially, youtube has some great old clips of classic songs / performances from bands that meant a lot to me at the time. :o

I think the original "offending" vid was posted by someone with an agenda of banning youtube in the first place. The reaction was totally predictable.

Even though i am residing in Thailand, i happily spend twenty minutes watching some terrific old clips from the likes of Leonard Cohen, Bruce Springsteen and even Benny Hill on YouTube every day. And the MICT can't say crap - i can use my fingers to access what the heck i want - it is not illegal.

Perhaps Mr Sittichai and the MICT haven't checked out YouTube for a while, which is sad, as there are now a plentitude of videos in praise of His Majesty and even apologies from folk who had originally posted 'mocking' videos.

Even though i am residing in Thailand, i happily spend twenty minutes watching some terrific old clips from the likes of Leonard Cohen, Bruce Springsteen and even Benny Hill on YouTube every day. And the MICT can't say crap - i can use my fingers to access what the heck i want - it is not illegal.

Perhaps Mr Sittichai and the MICT haven't checked out YouTube for a while, which is sad, as there are now a plentitude of videos in praise of His Majesty and even apologies from folk who had originally posted 'mocking' videos.

Yeah. You are the guy!!!!

didn't think much of youtube before the britain's got talent videos of mobile phone salesman paul potts singing nessun dorma and 6 year old connie talbot singing somewhere over the rainbow hooked me.tried to watch the videos at itv but only people in britain can see them there so youtube is it for anyone else.

He has a beautiful voice. The semi-final song "Time to say goodbye" sound as good as Andrea Bocelli.

By the way, he won the finals and will be granted an album, HIs life will change forever and willbe performing in front of the Queen.

And i watch all these in YouTube

I will post the links of youtube of that moment here if the moderators here are not fussy about it.

By the way, he won the finals and will be granted an album, HIs life will change forever and willbe performing in front of the Queen.

And i watch all these in YouTube

Err, so what? :o

In a way it connects you with people you should not give a ###### about and get deeply emotionally involved with their petty struggles - I agree, but that is not what I want to do with my life.

Initially I thought it was important, too.

Now I can't stand another singing talent or another "break the lock" trick, and 99% of the rest of the stuff people put online.

I have Academy Fantasia fun at home (Big Brother meets American Idol), and I think it's pretty sad how people rearrange their whole lives around some twenty year old nobodies who can't even sing let along write their own songs.

But... I'm not going to tell you how to lead your life. There are ways to watch Youtube here, and there are alternatives, too.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah. You are the guy!!!!

I agree! Why all this negativity towards YouTube? It has a lot to offer! So many interesting things to learn - how to poach eggs perfectly, how to shave the traditional way, etc. But just like in our physical world, it's the disrespectful, ignorant spoiled American youth that destroy its image!

YouTube was created in the USA,by Chad Hurley,Steven Chen,and Jawed Karim.It was acquired by Google in 2006.

Go ahead and bash American youth,I believe in free speech,and continue to enjoy American products,they are there for the world to use.