Marriage To Thai In Australia

I was recently married to my Thai fiancee in Melbourne who has since returned to resume her teaching job up North. I will enter Thailand shortly on a 3 month marriage visa; I have heard but can't find any direction if my Australian marriage needs any form of recognition in Thailand i.e. registration.

I will consider once in Thailand whether to extend the marriage extension or change it to retirement as reading many stories of the retirement extension is much easier to process through immigration.

25 minutes ago, bbas3008 said:

if my Australian marriage needs any form of recognition in Thailand i.e. registration.

For the Visa at the embassy no, but if you want to apply for an extension based on marriage at Thai immigration then yes.

Yes, retirement extension is easier if you don't mind putting 800k instead of 400k in your Thai bank account.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, bbas3008 said:

I will consider once in Thailand whether to extend the marriage extension or change it to retirement as reading many stories of the retirement extension is much easier to process through immigration

If living in Thailand on extensions based on retirement or marriage, yes it's possible to change what the extension is based on.

The financials for marriage are must less than retirement.

For your first extension after entering thailand with a non O (marriage),

I'm not sure if immigration would want the first extension based on marriage or happy with the extension to be based on retirement.

@ubonjoe can give expert answer. 

• Thanks 1

Your marriage in Australia will need to be registered at a Amphoe to get a Kor Ror 22 foreign marriage registry.

You marriage certificate must be certified by the Australian government. If I recall correctly it can be done at Australian embassy here.

After getting the certification it and your marriage certificate will need to be translated to Thai and and the translation certified by the Department of Consular Affairs of the MFA in Bangkok.

11 minutes ago, bbas3008 said:

So if I extend beyond my initial 3 months on the marriage visa and go on a retirement extension no need for any form of registration right? 

You would not need the Kor Ror 22 to apply for a extension based upon retirement.

But your marriage should still be registered at a Amphoe for your marriage to be recognised by Thailand.

• Thanks 1