Video: Mean Nissan driver leaves PTT staffer with 700 baht gas bill to pay after driving off

webfact

9pm.jpg

video screenshot

Thai Rath published a video of a Nissan driver casually driving off after getting 700 baht's worth of gas at a PTT station in Niwet sub-district of Roi-Et in Thailand's north east.

The driver had requested the Benzin 91 from the staffer who went to attend to another customer.

When he returned and pulled out the nozzle the Nissan - with a young man behind the wheel - just drove off not waiting for the filler cap to be closed.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

It happened on Tuesday of last week. After the station gave the driver a chance to come back and pay a report has now been filed with the Thawatburi police.

The pump attendant told the media they would be liable for the loss and they have two children and only get 320 baht a day in wages. 

The staffer implored the driver to come back and pay. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-05-03

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, SatEng said:

I am quite careful now about checking the bill or the change I get.

If I am short-changed I put it down to human error and ask for it to be corrected, but surprisingly it is quite often that I get too much change or there is an item missing from the bill.

While sometimes in the West you might just shrug it off, I know that in Thailand the server or assistant will likely get charged for any error and the money taken out of their wages, even for things that are not their fault - so I always make sure I am honest about it - and also get much better service the next time 

I put 100 Bahts worth into my motorcycle a while back and paid with a 1,000 Baht note. She handed me the change and I carefully counted it then handed her back the 100 Baht that I owed her. It's an easy mistake to make.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

I bet the gas stations are not making their staff pay for the 

stolen gas.

I worked in a petrol station in the UK and the 'pump boys' had to make up any shortfall in cash at the end of the shift when the till was checked against sales.

Most weeks I lost money.

Mind you, this was many years ago when Noah was a young lad. Not sure that there are any pump attendants in the UK any more.

I went into a gas station the other day and when I tell the guy what octane a few I wanted for the car within a second I get out of my car he has the pump handle in the tank and says look I put 100 and and then I stopped it I said to him I told you to fill it up why would you just put 100 in it and stop it this all happened within less than three seconds so I know there’s no way he could’ve put 100 inThe car that quick but I didn’t wanna are you the guy I think he scammed me out of 100 now what I do is I pull up and I don’t tell him which octane I want until I actually get out and look at the pump before he starts TIT

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tropicalevo said:

I worked in a petrol station in the UK and the 'pump boys' had to make up any shortfall in cash at the end of the shift when the till was checked against sales.

Most weeks I lost money.

Mind you, this was many years ago when Noah was a young lad. Not sure that there are any pump attendants in the UK any more.

Bloody hell!! How old are you? There were no pump attendants in 1980 at least.

Ridiculous to make the poorly-paid pump attendant have to pay for a customer breaking the law.  I worked at a college library.  Luckily, I didn't have to pay if a student stole a book.  I doubt store clerks have to pay for merchandise customers steal.  

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The pump attendant told the media they would be liable for the loss and they have two children and only get 320 baht a day in wages.

Shame on the gas station holding the staffer liable for what is a deliberate theft/crime.

• Thanks 1

Back in the 90s I was working in Mobile Alabama , and there was similar incidents to this at smaller fuel stations ( no cameras etc)

So they changed the policy to pay before you got the fuel .

3 hours ago, worgeordie said:

I believe this is happening a lot in the West, criminals

filling up and driving off without paying, but I bet the

gas stations are not making their staff pay for the 

stolen gas.

regards worgeordie

Losing  bet !  In Thailand many business are like that. Only safe way to staff is  have prepay system in fuel station ! Maybe this Nissan stolen too ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SatEng said:

I am quite careful now about checking the bill or the change I get.

If I am short-changed I put it down to human error and ask for it to be corrected, but surprisingly it is quite often that I get too much change or there is an item missing from the bill.

While sometimes in the West you might just shrug it off, I know that in Thailand the server or assistant will likely get charged for any error and the money taken out of their wages, even for things that are not their fault - so I always make sure I am honest about it - and also get much better service the next time 

And it's exactly why they count the banknotes over and over again. Looks ridiculous, but there's a good reason for it.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, TheFishman1 said:

I went into a gas station the other day and when I tell the guy what octane a few I wanted for the car within a second I get out of my car he has the pump handle in the tank and says look I put 100 and and then I stopped it I said to him I told you to fill it up why would you just put 100 in it and stop it this all happened within less than three seconds so I know there’s no way he could’ve put 100 inThe car that quick but I didn’t wanna are you the guy I think he scammed me out of 100 now what I do is I pull up and I don’t tell him which octane I want until I actually get out and look at the pump before he starts TIT

Is FULL STOP not working on your keyboard?   LOL