Has anyone obtained a multi entry non O based on marriage recently from HCMC/Saigon?

Borders are open and I'm considering giving it a go in HCMC . I have written to the consulate today but so far no response. It SEEMS doable from what I can ascertain. But we need pudding. Where's the pudding? There in lies the proof. I will call the consulate soon if no email response.

Cheers!

• Haha 2

Well its listed on their website under 'Visas available under Covid 19' .....

https://hochiminh.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/non-immigrant-o-accompanying-thai-spouse-and-family-members

Online booking of appointments - there seem to be appointments available.

Note the health requirements..,

2.6. Health insurance which includes; 

• Valued over 20,000 USD
  • Covers medical expenses in Thailand. 
  • The duration must cover the length of your visa validity.

2.7. Copy of COVID-19 vaccine certificate (fully vaccinated) or

COVID-19 (Rapid Antigen) Negative result within 24 hours.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HauptmannUK said:

Well its listed on their website under 'Visas available under Covid 19' .....

Think that is a single entry Non O marriage. 

The OP is wanting a multiple entry non O marriage..

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

It does mention a multiple entry visa on that page.

image.png.5a3b4c45c5c3a1f81f2c1c7d0ef1dbf9.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Its showing ME non-O and I can book an appointment using their online booking system.......so it seems possible for the OP..

• Like 1

Just now, HauptmannUK said:

Its showing ME non-O and I can book an appointment using their online booking system.......so it seems possible for the OP..

Yeah thanks. 

Bit surprised not to have seen ONE recent report of multi non O from say Savannakhet or Saigon.

Well borders are just opening up and more onerous regulations such as PCR tests before/after and mandatory hotel stay or melting away. It wasn't possible and/or worth the risk until May 1st. I'll bet some reports start to trickle in this week.

19 hours ago, bamboozled said:

The multi entry is listed...or rather the option is there on the Non-O visa based on marriage. Whether they grant it or not, that's the questions, I guess.

If you can get to the point of making the application I see no reason why they wouldn't do it if listed. The additional requirements as a result of covid would not be different between SE or ME.

I got one there in Dec 2019 without a problem, no financials required. I can also confirm they enforce payment in USD, I changed some for an Australian that thought he could pay in Thai baht.

• Like 1

Maybe it was in my reply to you but I realized a trip to HCMC will probably run me $1000 USD if not more. And in the meantime, I had a new idea....to try and get the Covid extension...is that 60 days? In that time frame, we might have more info on HCMC and the insurance/Covid testing might fall away. That would be nice and save some money. Also, my wife might be in a better place to help see the visa through here in CM thus negating the necessity of going to Saigon.

Just an aside here....I usually try to say Saigon as the Vietnamese tour guide said they prefer to call it Saigon and not HCMC. Of course, that was just the opinion of one guy but it stuck with me.

30 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

Maybe it was in my reply to you but I realized a trip to HCMC will probably run me $1000 USD if not more. And in the meantime, I had a new idea....to try and get the Covid extension...is that 60 days? In that time frame, we might have more info on HCMC and the insurance/Covid testing might fall away. That would be nice and save some money. Also, my wife might be in a better place to help see the visa through here in CM thus negating the necessity of going to Saigon.

Just an aside here....I usually try to say Saigon as the Vietnamese tour guide said they prefer to call it Saigon and not HCMC. Of course, that was just the opinion of one guy but it stuck with me.

The covid extension provides 60 stay.

For first CE some offices date the 60 day from your day of application.

It costs 1900 baht.

How did you enter Thailand?

If with a non O some offices may not give you a CE. 

As for your option of trip to Saigon and back think you need to consider how many days there.

First I don't see that many options for direct flight (both ways from CNX).

The Saigon Thai consulate accepts applications am up till 11.30am and pick up next day pm after lunch break 12-1pm.

Most likely meaning 3 night stay. 

Regarding your statement about Saigon vs HCMC...yes all Vietnamese that live in HCMC refer to it as Saigon.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

The covid extension provides 60 stay.

For first CE some offices date the 60 day from your day of application.

It costs 1900 baht.

How did you enter Thailand?

If with a non O some offices may not give you a CE. 

As for your option of trip to Saigon and back think you need to consider how many days there.

First I don't see that many options for direct flight (both ways from CNX).

The Saigon Thai consulate accepts applications am up till 11.30am and pick up next day pm after lunch break 12-1pm.

Most likely meaning 3 night stay. 

Regarding your statement about Saigon vs HCMC...yes all Vietnamese that live in HCMC refer to it as Saigon.

I had read it might be difficult to get the CE extension because I entered with a Non-O but I thought I might convince them explaining the situation that my wife is in the hospital and cannot attend to get the Non-O extension. I might head down there today to inquire.

18 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

I had read it might be difficult to get the CE extension because I entered with a Non-O but I thought I might convince them explaining the situation that my wife is in the hospital and cannot attend to get the Non-O extension. I might head down there today to inquire.

If your wife is in the hospital you could use proof cannot be with you to apply for a 60 day extension to visit her. Perhaps a picture of herein the hospital would be enough.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

.....convince them explaining the situation that my wife is in the hospital and cannot attend to get the Non-O extension.

Have you obtained a 60 day extension to visit wife?

If not then try uj advice.

You mention perhaps going to immigration to explain is a possibility.

Thinking this is good plan.

Perhaps they may accept letter from doctor indicating that your wife is unable to attend immigration for the 60 day extension.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If your wife is in the hospital you could use proof cannot be with you to apply for a 60 day extension to visit her. Perhaps a picture of herein the hospital would be enough.

Believe it or not, I cannot even see her because of Covid. In fact, I can not even go up to the floor of the hospital that she is on. She does not have a phone with her, either. I might be able to get a note from her primary care doctor. Thanks for the thought, Joe. If possible, I would rather get the Covid ext. which would leave the 60 day ext. to vist Thai wife open, conceivably.

While I have you, is this wording in regards to Non-O visa on the HCMC website the same as always? Did it always specify the visa was for 90 days? I don't think this is the same as before because there was no need to go to immigration after 90 days in prior iterations....but to exit the country every 90 days. So, in fact, it DOES seem things have changed:

"

1. Validity of a Visa:

The validity of a Visa is 3 months

1. Period of Stay:

Holder of this type of visa is entitled to stay in Thailand for a maximum period of 90 days. He or she may apply for an extension of stay at the Office of the Immigration Bureau and may be granted such extension for a period of one year from the date of first entry into Thailand."

Edited by bamboozled

3 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

Did it always specify the visa was for 90 days?

The visa is valid for 90 days.

In that period you enter Thailand and will be stamped in with a permission of stay of 90 days.

In the last 30 days of that POS you would (normally) apply for a 12 month extension.

This is a single entry visa not to be confused with a multi entry non O based on marriage. 

That visa is valid for one year and allows stay of 90 days per entry.

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

The visa is valid for 90 days.

In that period you enter Thailand and will be stamped in with a permission of stay of 90 days.

In the last 30 days of that POS you would (normally) apply for a 12 month extension.

This is a single entry visa not to be confused with a multi entry non O based on marriage. 

That visa is valid for one year and allows stay of 90 days per entry.

Hi Jack, this is exactly my point. That one-year visa does not appear to be available. So things HAVE changed, it appears.

Edited by bamboozled

15 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

Hi Jack, this is exactly my point. That one-year visa does not appear to be available. So things HAVE changed, it appears.

That's correct.

Before covid the multi entry non O was available. 

Certainly not everywhere.

As you know, was available in some places eg Savannakhet and Saigon etc.

After covid some visas were not available eg METV and multi entry non O.

Few folk asking if the ME non O is now available in places such as Saigon. 

Until we actually see reports of success in obtaining a multi non O then I just assume not available.

You would have option of obtaining a non O marriage single entry from Phnom Penh.

Not ideal. (PM sent) 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I'm just back from CM Immigration. The officer said I could not get the Covid extension because on an O visa and no exception. Who knows if a different officer would say something different. He said I could get the 60 day extension to visit wife without her presence but recommended I try to keep that for an emergency (is this not one?) because can only get 1 per visa. I thought it was 1 per year or extension but no. He said I could get the new Non-O without the wife present if I could get a family member to come with me as witness. That's not impossible, perhaps, but a bit cumbersome. I'm going to get my papers in order the best I can, and the transfer statements, in the hope that the wife gets out in time. I suppose I'll know more in a week. In the meantime, I will contact an agent and suss that out. Dr. jack also mentioned going to Phnom Pehn  for a new single entry O. Do you think they would grant me that or reject it since it would be two back to back single entry non-O visas?

18 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

He said I could get the 60 day extension to visit wife without her presence but recommended I try to keep that for an emergency (is this not one?) because can only get 1 per visa. I thought it was 1 per year or extension but no.

It is one per entry to the country with a visa or visa exempt.

If you go out to get another non-o visa you could get a 60 day extension for each 90 day entry from a multiple entry visa.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It is one per entry to the country with a visa or visa exempt.

If you go out to get another non-o visa you could get a 60 day extension for each 90 day entry from a multiple entry visa.

Right, that seems to jibe with what he said, one 60 day extension per visa. What are my chances of getting rejected for a single entry Non-O at Phnom Pehn, do you think? Or for that matter, if I get the 60 day extension to visit wife and then go back to the US at the end of those 60 days (I'm due to go back anyway, though I would have made it a bit later) for perhaps a month and get another online Non-O? I guess my question is does immigration look down upon folks going out of the country and getting the single entry Non-O visas?

I'm not sure what it is but for me, and I think for some others, having to pull that paperwork together is like kryptonite. It's not THAT hard but it's hard to get out of my own way.

Thank you!

4 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

Right, that seems to jibe with what he said, one 60 day extension per visa. What are my chances of getting rejected for a single entry Non-O at Phnom Pehn, do you think? Or for that matter, if I get the 60 day extension to visit wife and then go back to the US at the end of those 60 days (I'm due to go back anyway, though I would have made it a bit later) for perhaps a month and get another online Non-O? I guess my question is does immigration look down upon folks going out of the country and getting the single entry Non-O visas?

It should not be any problem to get single entry non-o visa in Phnom Phen if you have all the required documents.

Same for getting another one in the states either.

Immigration does make a problem when entering with a non-o visa based upon marriage.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It should not be any problem to get single entry non-o visa in Phnom Phen if you have all the required documents.

Same for getting another one in the states either.

Immigration does make a problem when entering with a non-o visa based upon marriage.

I forgot to ask: what is the regulation for getting the online O visas? That is, what's to prevent me from getting it while I'm anywhere outside of Thailand, but not in the US, for example, while in Cambodia or Laos? Perhaps I would be granted the visa but then refused entry if my passport did not show I was coming from the US? I think you have to use the consulate/embassy of your home country (passport issuer) but must you be in the passport issuing country when you obtain the visa? You could of course be in transit, for example, US to Laos to Thailand....thus coming in to Thailand from Laos. Easily checked by confirming dates in passport though. I did check the e-visa website for this but up to the point of uploading documents, I didn't see any stipulation about where one had to be. I didn't want to go any further with the process and risk mucking up any future real applications so I don't know if that issue is covered later on.

2 hours ago, bamboozled said:

I forgot to ask: what is the regulation for getting the online O visas? That is, what's to prevent me from getting it while I'm anywhere outside of Thailand, but not in the US, for example, while in Cambodia or Laos? Perhaps I would be granted the visa but then refused entry if my passport did not show I was coming from the US? I think you have to use the consulate/embassy of your home country (passport issuer) but must you be in the passport issuing country when you obtain the visa? You could of course be in transit, for example, US to Laos to Thailand....thus coming in to Thailand from Laos. Easily checked by confirming dates in passport though. I did check the e-visa website for this but up to the point of uploading documents, I didn't see any stipulation about where one had to be. I didn't want to go any further with the process and risk mucking up any future real applications so I don't know if that issue is covered later on.

I do not think there is any clarity yet on whether applying for an e-visa outside of home country is possible. It could make a huge difference for those who want to stay long term in Thailand just with border bounces.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

I do not think there is any clarity yet on whether applying for an e-visa outside of home country is possible. It could make a huge difference for those who want to stay long term in Thailand just with border bounces.

Apart from outside home country, I think doing it back to back would be an issue. I don't see why outside home country would matter so much but that could be said for many things. Rules are rules. Yes, and what are they?