Small Swimming Pool maintenance

Na Fan

Hello

So, for the kids to play and learn to swim, we bought this thing:

1366.jpg.1305262b35cc070fc52ce148c31d5d99.jpg

It holds about 4000 liters of water and quickly gets muddy and smelly. The wife has been looking for a swimming pool cleaning and maintenance service, but nobody seems to be competent. At least not to an extent that I'd feel comfortable not to expose my kids to too high levels of chlorine or worse.

I'd think if they pop by twice a month or so to make sure the water is OK and top it up as needed, that should be plenty? Or am I missing something?

Can anyone recommend a service? Or are you all doing it yourself?

From what I've seen there's liquid form or there's tablets. The tablets seem to be designed for pools with 50k liters, according to the packaging - so those would be way over for our little one here. The local shops in the area have some in liquid form for sale, but when asked about the concentration they didn't know the answer, and they just said "use about one water bottle full, that will be OK". Yeah...

The other thing I am concerned about is what to do with the chlorinated water. I don't think you should just dump it in the garden when you want to pack up the pool at some point in the future. Some of those pool maintainers said "mai pen rai - just empty it" - that was one of the guys we didn't see again after that.

Any hints, tips?

Cheers

• Haha 1

Come on mate are you kidding?

A bottle of household bleach used for washing will do the trick!

Maybe 1/2 a cup every few days!

Trial an error.

However if you no have filtration it means empty & refill occasionally.

• Like 1

Doubt you'll get any company interested in coming for regular maintenance for a small pool like that.

We have something similar, just a bit smaller.  The water usually just lasts a couple of days before needing replacement. A bit wasteful but what can you do? fortunately water is quite cheap. 

I normally syphon the water out in the evening and let it work overnight so the pool is empty by the morning. I don't use any chemicals so if needs can use the draining water on the garden or just let it go down the drain.

There are small filter/pump systems available for this kind of pool but looking at the pictures I doubt it's very safe to have an electric pump so close to kids splashing in the pool. 

319609227_PoolPump.JPG.b2d3be0e6d0b6899b38a052914413822.JPG

I would not recommend chucking in any bleach, we all came out in hives when I tried that trick.

Pool Filter Pumps

:smile:

We have that exact same pump - sold by the same manufacturer as the pool. It's useless and very weak.

The thing isn't even so much about throwing the water away. It's the fact that you need to clean the whole thing because of the algae or whatever that slimy <deleted> is that gets all over it. It's a colossal pain to deal with.

• 2 months later...

Sorry to not seing this thread earlier. I own a poll very similar to the one pictured in Daffy D post. i use a chlorine tablet (1 for 10 days) left in a dspenser and also use a product to clear the water). Yours, much smaller should mostly need a pump to filter and clean the water. 

Because i do maintenance and cleaning as often as i can, water is still okay after six mont uses. Cover the poll when not in use and protect from leaves and dust, cycle the pump before kid use it and after. I think your model should have the adaptators for fix it. (I use with normal filter and reusable and if i not forget to change then it's okay)