Line account without phone number

Hi guys two questions about Line

1- Is it possible to have/create a Line account without having a local phone number

2- or can I add a different account name to my existing phone number registered with my existing line account.

I would prefer the first option if possible as my kid wants a Line account but has no sim card and I would prefer not to give her a sim card

16 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

That's an interesting question. Not to hijack the post, but to add another question; what happens if I don't have my old phone number, used for that Line account, anymore? Will I lose that account and my contacts?

You should have added an email address to your Line account, might even have Facebook as back up but I've not checked.

Op, you can use any number, i used my UK sim for a while, you could use your sim for his phone if you aren't using for Line already. Once set up the sim isn't used anymore except security which is rare, so doesn't need to be in the phone

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

1- Is it possible to have/create a Line account without having a local phone number

I think you will find that it is impossible.

However, once the account has been setup I am reasonably sure that you can use the account without the phone number (using Wi-Fi only)

So a cheap experiment. Buy a cheap SIM card, setup the account on a phone and if you want connect a tablet or computer, remove the SIM card and the line account will keep working. You keep the SIM and keep it alive by regular 20 Baht monthly top ups so if needed it can be put back in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StayinThailand2much said:

That's an interesting question. Not to hijack the post, but to add another question; what happens if I don't have my old phone number, used for that Line account, anymore? Will I lose that account and my contacts?

If someone else registers same number, your Line will show that it's used on another phone and all contacts, chats and purchases will be gone.

You should register email address and password for that number, then backup chats (if you need that), and on phone with new number, load Line, register to new number and then login with email register as existing account, then restore chats, and reload purchases. Contacts will be reloaded once you register with your email.

You can load Line to your PC or Mac or tablet without a SIM and login either with phone's camera scanning QR code shown on computer screen, or by registered username and password.

You cannot have Line active without a registered phone number, though.

• Like 1

1. No
2. No

if the kid got internet access,

the sim doesnt really make much difference apart from requiring you to topup occasionally

i recomend you checkout kaspersky kids
it gives you a LOT of control and monitoring and only $15/year

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

I think you will find that it is impossible.

However, once the account has been setup I am reasonably sure that you can use the account without the phone number (using Wi-Fi only)

So a cheap experiment. Buy a cheap SIM card, setup the account on a phone and if you want connect a tablet or computer, remove the SIM card and the line account will keep working. You keep the SIM and keep it alive by regular 20 Baht monthly top ups so if needed it can be put back in.

thks, if I buy a True H sim card as I had previously that should be ok, if I remember correctly I use to keep it alive with 20 bath every 3 months or so, will try that, thanks again

16 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

thks, if I buy a True H sim card as I had previously that should be ok, if I remember correctly I use to keep it alive with 20 bath every 3 months or so, will try that, thanks again

The standard is that each top up will add 30 days to the validity. Some companies will allow additional time without adding credit to the account often 3 Baht for 30 days. 

I suggest you try to get a SIM card that has a 1 year validity, they are sometimes available.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

So, the contacts will 'reappear' if I add my email to my current number, and after I then change to a different number, adding the same email address?

Yes, they will. Purchases will also be there but you'll need to re-download stickers and themes, but won't have to pay for them again.

Only thing that won't get restored will be your chat history. That you can backup to Google account and then restore after registering new number and logging in.

• Like 1