Factory worker left alone at wedding - groom who claimed he was a soldier and bodyguard fails to show

webfact

9pm1.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

Thai Rath reported on a wedding that never was in Nadee district of Prachinburi on Sunday. 

"A", aged 40, a factory worker at an industrial estate, told local reporters that she had met a lovely man last December who said he was a senior sergeant major first class in the Thai army. In addition he was the bodyguard of a local politician, he said. She believed this.

The relationship quickly developed and they decided to marry. She said she had been married before so only wanted a small ceremony. He said he wanted a big wedding as befitting a man of his standing so she agreed.

It was agreed that he would pay 200,000 baht in cash as a dowry and in addition provide 3 baht weight in gold (worth nearly 100,000 baht).

They were originally going to tie the know on March 25th but the date was changed to May 1st because of Covid. 

Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

The man arranged for the flowers, food and beverage, band and the ceremonial archway. 

On the day of the wedding at 2 am he said he had to go and see his relatives at a nearby resort and she gave him 20,000 baht for expenses. 

At 6 am with the monk's ceremony drawing near a male relative of the bride-to-be said some ice had been delivered and the bill needed to be paid.

She called her groom-to-be who said he was on his wayto pay.

He failed to show. At 7 am she called again to be told there had been arguments over the dowry. 

Finally he couldn't be contacted. 

She decided to greet relatives and go through the ceremony alone without him.

She realised he was not coming but decided to be strong in the face of the disappointment. 

She said that since they met he had made one "Covid" excuse after another for her being unable to meet his parents in Nakhon Ratchasima. 

First relatives had the virus then his mother. 

Now A has filed a police report.

She said she wanted her money back, it was not about love.  

The bill for the wedding is nearly 300,000 baht. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-05-05

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Sad 6
  • Haha 1

Just now, webfact said:

"A", aged 40, a factory worker at an industrial estate, told local reporters that she had met a lovely man last December who said he was a senior sergeant major first class in the Thai army. In addition he was the bodyguard of a local politician, he said.

She dodged a bullet.

• Like 1

if can't afford a expensive wedding don't do it... and if a man needs to borrow money from his fiancee you should know something is not ok...Pay together for the wedding or don't do it before you know eachother for a few years

A friends from soi 6 all got their wedding arranged.

Former lawyers, crypto trillionaires, fighter-jet pilots, secret agents...

Day of wedding, they didn't turn up.
They didn't remember their former job title. 555

I'll give you 300,000 but first you give me 20,000.   hahahaha.  How do Thais get 300,000?  Can't imagine more than 5% have this money set aside for only a wedding.  maybe group funds and then they get the money back...show of face.

anyhow........I'll give anyone 5,000,000,000 if they can help me get married.  First I need 3 million for good luck.    I wish I could use my own 3 million, but I can't.  

3 hours ago, webfact said:

She decided to greet relatives and go through the ceremony alone without him.

So she married herself ..... your better off without him pet .

regards worgeordie

2 hours ago, Jotnar said:

Wonder how many times that line worked;

"I deserve a large wedding, oh by the way, need 20k as going out of town".

Thanks, LUV Ya 

Should read ... "....by the way, need 20k for disappear fees". 

Edited by scorecard

These kind of scams on lonely women are common all over the world. Con men(and women) who prey on the lonely and the vulnerable. The victims should not be derided for trusting someone it can happen to anyone.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Bragging about being a soldier is not what it used to be. Prayuth has reduced the reputation of the army to tatters. He would be better off denying he was a soldier. 

They have never been an honorable service in modern times. Their incessant coups in the name of defending the nation have denied Thailand countless opportunities to advance similar to Singapore, it certainly has the talent. Failed by the serf-molding education system.

The latest army scandal implicates tweedledee and tweedledumber directly on human trafficking allegations. It's all over YouTube, and posted here recently too.

I really feel for the lass, all the usual dowry gags aside, it's a rotten thing to do to someone, scam or just cowardice. 

If you get cold feet, don't wait until the day, speak up and save the girl even worse pain and embarrassment.

Edited by chalawaan

13 hours ago, chalawaan said:

They have never been an honorable service in modern times. Their incessant coups in the name of defending the nation have denied Thailand countless opportunities to advance similar to Singapore, it certainly has the talent. Failed by the serf-molding education system.

The latest army scandal implicates tweedledee and tweedledumber directly on human trafficking allegations. It's all over YouTube, and posted here recently too.

I really feel for the lass, all the usual dowry gags aside, it's a rotten thing to do to someone, scam or just cowardice. 

If you get cold feet, don't wait until the day, speak up and save the girl even worse pain and embarrassment.

What you are speaking of is honor, and having enough self esteem and sense of self, and discrimination to do the right thing, and treat people with respect. Something few soldiers here possess. It is similar to being a policeman here. It is guilt and dishonor by association!

On 5/5/2022 at 6:15 PM, bert bloggs said:

My wife wanted a quite wedding so we got married in a registry office in England ,thats the way to do it.

a few of my weddings were at registry offices...my last one we did the Monk stuff wedding in the Garden ect..same result  got hitched