Relax! Thailand is just as safe (or dangerous) as it’s always been

webfact

1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:

Hasn't happened in 40 years

Forty Years HERE. Something Wrong. No Westerner around 30 should be emigrating to a third world country. Unless perhaps Hotel General Manager or Property Entrepreneur but not in one backward country for 40+ years. 
Make your money outside Thailand and come here at 50 or 60 not 30. 

13 minutes ago, TropicalGuy said:

Forty Years HERE. Something Wrong. No Westerner around 30 should be emigrating to a third world country. Unless perhaps Hotel General Manager or Property Entrepreneur but not in one backward country for 40+ years. 

Came here at 19. Will retire at the end of this year when I hit 60. All savings made here. Different strokes for different folks. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, TropicalGuy said:

You are wrong, haven't got a clue about my circumstances or Thailand in general.  I was in my 21 when i first came here. I work in IT for a multi national and have a business. Make more than enough money, so keep your dumb advise to yourself and hide behind your wife..

Edited by FritsSikkink
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

You are wrong, haven't got a clue about my circumstances or Thailand in general.  I was in my 21 when i first came here. I work in IT for a multi national and have a business. Make more than enough money, so keep your dumb advise to yourself and hide behind your wife..

Delegation is not  “hiding”. 
I was not clear. Not here for Culture Food or People.Expat not Immigrant. 

I do all my govt., Insurance, capital spend & property rental directly. 

Construction / Utilities / House & Garden/ KidCare& Education/ Vehicle Maintenance/ Major Shopping / Cooking /Cleaning; all by Architect Lady who often delegates herself.

Emigrating here from Europe early 20’s job with multi national with little experience & accomplishments (except degree maybe) ..????and no money. I just can’t grasp this. I went to MEast to work at 23 but that was always temporary for me & needed five years experience & degree.

Although I see it here now with late 20s IT nomad types.I somehow despise this “ lifestyle” I feel they haven’t yet earned the “ right” to settle here. Your case different with Work Permit from start. Very Rare.

Clunky mainframe IT in Thailand early 80’s dead easy I would think. Early PCs.No competition/ no challenge. Hardly cutting edge stuff.

Running from Life ?Never Tested Yourself ? Easy Tropical Life your Whole Life ? just seems weird or just fortunate. Wasted Life seemingly?

What could you achieve here back then in career or technical terms ? And to stay all that time. Grew that into a similar business perhaps so some progress.

3 minutes ago, TropicalGuy said:

Delegation is not  “hiding”. 
I was not clear. Not here for Culture Food or People.Expat not Immigrant. 

I do all my govt., Insurance, capital spend & property rental directly. 

Construction / Utilities / House & Garden/ KidCare& Education/ Vehicle Maintenance/ Major Shopping / Cooking /Cleaning; all by Architect Lady who often delegates herself.

Emigrating here from Europe early 20’s job with multi national with little experience & accomplishments (except degree maybe) ..????and no money. I just can’t grasp this. I went to MEast to work at 23 but that was always temporary for me & needed five years experience & degree.

Although I see it here now with late 20s IT nomad types.I somehow despise this “ lifestyle” I feel they haven’t yet earned the “ right” to settle here. Your case different with Work Permit from start. Very Rare.

Clunky mainframe IT in Thailand early 80’s dead easy I would think. Early PCs.No competition/ no challenge. Hardly cutting edge stuff.

Running from Life ?Never Tested Yourself ? Easy Tropical Life your Whole Life ? just seems weird or just fortunate. Wasted Life seemingly?

What could you achieve here back then in career or technical terms ? And to stay all that time. Grew that into a similar business perhaps so some progress.

Don't project your situation on others and then think you know best. I have always had loads of money. Living a great life. My small business has taken care that my kids and the 2 following generations never have to worry about money. What you think to know doesn't matter as like i said before you don't have a clue.  

15 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Don't project your situation on others and then think you know best. I have always had loads of money. Living a great life. My small business has taken care that my kids and the 2 following generations never have to worry about money. What you think to know doesn't matter as like i said before you don't have a clue.  

You are right . Projecting from my perspective. I despise Thai “ rice bowl” Culture. But love the safety, low cost,  climate, lifestyle and “ flexibility” it affords.

I do have more than “a clue” though.

“ loads of money” here does not occur for foreigners with 40 years same “small business”, only through land/property/business acquisition where yes you may well have cleaned up getting in so early and as Thai Citizen. 

Been settled here since 2004 although working in Europe throughout.never came across or heard of any case like yours.  I imagine you are of the 1% who came to Thailand very young and actually prospered & stayed. 

"Religious people want to spoil our world and take us back to medieval times. And the US - with an incredible 50% believing in god - threatens to lead the way!"

The fundies in the USA believe in the craziest stuff, way beyond just believing in God.

Angels are watching over them. And judging from posts on the deaths of loved ones during COVID "Joe got his angel's wings and is with Jesus in heaven", they think people become angels at death.

Creationism of course is huge in the US as well as repressive "morality" targeting gays and lesbians.

I talked to a guy in my city who said he was a Trump supporter "because I'm a Christian". Huh?

Christians believe in the Rapture and expect to get blinked to heaven one of these days.

Then there is the "prosperity gospel" if you give money to the church God will make you rich; not exactly found in the Sermon on the Mount.

I went to 12 years of religious schools as a kid and most of the stuff they go on about isn't even in Christian beliefs.

As one non-believer who went to religious schools said to me "They taught me to think for myself, and I did."

Why is it the US that is like this when Europe is largely secular now?