Relax! Thailand is just as safe (or dangerous) as it’s always been

webfact

Did Rooster fail to mention the Danish man who got clipped* for his insurance policy by his loving wife? One that many expat posters were linking to the cultural wonders of 'Thainess'. An op/ed piece on expats jawing about crime in the kingdom, but he missed that crime, strange.

Thankfully Rooster did get the obligatory 5 paragraph segue to the United States Supreme Court. Bravo, a distraction well done.

* attempted clip

2 hours ago, Red Forever said:

Why was the name of the poster all but invisible?

I just wasted 10mins of my life reading "how wonderful my life is cos I've been here longer than you" not realising it was written by the resident bore.

Please preface any further tripe from this poster with a warning: "reading any further can induce extreme ennui"

Zzzzz.....

Looks like we have angst from Anfield or the Amex on the forum!

COYS

Rooster

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

Did Rooster fail to mention the Danish man who got clipped* for his insurance policy by his loving wife? One that many expat posters were linking to the cultural wonders of 'Thainess'. An op/ed piece on expats jawing about crime in the kingdom, but he missed that crime, strange.

Thankfully Rooster did get the obligatory 5 paragraph segue to the United States Supreme Court. Bravo, a distraction well done.

* attempted clip

The Danish guy was the previous week wasn't it. Get with the program please!

Rooster

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Red Forever said:

Why was the name of the poster all but invisible?

I just wasted 10mins of my life reading "how wonderful my life is cos I've been here longer than you" not realising it was written by the resident bore.

Please preface any further tripe from this poster with a warning: "reading any further can induce extreme ennui"

Zzzzz.....

The poster's 'name' is right there at the top, just under the heading banner and if it doesn't appeal to you then no one is forcing you to read it. You can go off and play tiddlywinks or something.

Edited by Moonlover
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 5/7/2022 at 4:08 PM, BritManToo said:
On 5/7/2022 at 12:07 PM, webfact said:

I’m saying: “Relax people, it’s always been like this!”

I agree with you.

I think there are a lot more guns out there now, and Yabba now used widely, well named crazy medicine, has also lead to an increase in crazy crimes. 

1 minute ago, brianthainess said:

I think there are a lot more guns out there now, and Yabba now used widely, well named crazy medicine, has also lead to an increase in crazy crimes. 

Or has the increase in media coverage over the years given the impression that there is an increase in crazy crimes?

6 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Or has the increase in media coverage over the years given the impression that there is an increase in crazy crimes?

Yabba and other designer drugs were not widely available here years ago.

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

Yabba and other designer drugs were not widely available here years ago.

Really? Not according to this article I've just been reading. In fact, it says prior to 1970 it was sold legally here!

On 5/7/2022 at 8:56 AM, mikeymike100 said:

Most of it a good read, but sadly the diatribe on Roe vs Wade and abortion apart from having nothing to do with Asia or Thailand was nothing short of excrement!

It's obvious he has not taken the trouble to read even a summary of the leaked judgement, but just responded to ill- informed shock horror press reports. In brief the judgement says that abortion should never have been treated as a constitutional issue. It is an issue for the states and their elected legislatures. It says nothing about the rights of wrongs of abortion per se. It seeks to return the issue to the people and their representatives.8

• Like 2

On 5/7/2022 at 4:31 PM, Lacessit said:

You think religions should be off limits for comment? Or women should be told what to do with their own bodies? What an ignorant and intolerant post.

I do not think religion should be off limits for comment. I think everyone should be able to comment, but the comment he made about a totally internal potential decision in a country half way around the world that has no ethereal connection to Thailand is totally absurd. I mean why not mention Afghanistan or the Mexican border? Both again nothing to do with Thailand? Both you and Rooster are showing ignorance by relying on reports from the MSM and not an actual summary of the leaked report. Educate yourself and read it.

Edited by mikeymike100
spelling
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, DoctorB said:

It's obvious he has not taken the trouble to read even a summary of the leaked judgement, but just responded to ill- informed shock horror press reports. In brief the judgement says that abortion should never have been treated as a constitutional issue. It is an issue for the states and their elected legislatures. It says nothing about the rights of wrongs of abortion per se. It seeks to return the issue to the people and their representatives.8

Totally agree, unfortunately for Rooster and others commenting on this they would rather believe the MSM, who are not biased and always tell the truth, don't they??????

4 hours ago, mikeymike100 said:

I do not think religion should be off limits for comment. I think everyone should be able to comment, but the comment he made about a totally internal potential decision in a country half way around the world that has no ethereal connection to Thailand is totally absurd. I mean why not mention Afghanistan or the Mexican border? Both again nothing to do with Thailand? Both you and Rooster are showing ignorance by relying on reports from the MSM and not an actual summary of the leaked report. Educate yourself and read it.

If someone tells me I am ignorant and need to educate myself, without knowing anything about me, I figure it's a waste of time engaging in any further discussion. On ignore now, goodbye.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

If someone tells me I am ignorant and need to educate myself, without knowing anything about me, I figure it's a waste of time engaging in any further discussion. On ignore now, goodbye.

Just as thought! Anyone who think that that they don't need more education, ergo they know everything is well a know it all!!

If you can't debate a point, why bother in the first place.

"You think religions should be off limits for comment? Or women should be told what to do with their own bodies? What an ignorant and intolerant post. "

You called my original post ignorant and intolerant, but i was more than happy to engage. says a lot! Look up the word hypocrite!

Edited by mikeymike100
spelling

On 5/7/2022 at 3:49 PM, The Hammer2021 said:

Thailand is more dangerous for Thais than us. We live in a privileged,  protective  bubble  here. But under these circumstances it's one of the safest  countries I've lived in. Certainly safer the Britain.

Exactly. Extremely Safe here.
However be situationally aware as ever, always. Translates here to :-

Do NOT live in Thai districts. 

Do NOT engage with Thais (other than essential polite transactions).

Have yourThai lady do most or all interaction with other Thais.

Have Nothing to do with ANY toxic people or tourists or street taxis.

Avoid Police & Nightlife.

Be Calm Polite Apologetic. 

Avoid / Walk Away from Trouble.

Never Intervene in Disputes. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, TropicalGuy said:

Don’t Drive 

Drive Extremely Defensive / Insured

Dont Leave Too Much to Thai Lady in Will or Life Insurance ! 
Don’t Fly Budget Airlines! 

1 hour ago, TropicalGuy said:

What an absurd set of rules.

Because  Thailand is so safe you can ignore many of the  above  rules.

Only a timorous coward would 'avoid nightlife'

You should interact politely with  any Thai as appropriate.

And as for getting your Thai  lady to handle all dealings with other Thais is such  an absurd idea it's bordering on  some kind of dependence disorder

Its nice to talk with other travellers and tourists.

Living a sheltered life in fear is not a life- its a self  imposed prison sentence.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

What an absurd set of rules.

Because  Thailand is so safe you can ignore many of the  above  rules.

Only a timorous coward would 'avoid nightlife'

You should interact politely with  any Thai as appropriate.

And as for getting your Thai  lady to handle all dealings with other Thais is such  an absurd idea it's bordering on  some kind of dependence disorder

Its nice to talk with other travellers and tourists.

Living a sheltered life in fear is not a life- its a self  imposed prison sentence.

Guidelines not Rules. No Rules here.

If they make a few people consider their safety profile it’s worth any criticism. No fear or cowardice involved, just defensive living. I do live quietly now but not before …

advocating living in Thai districts ? Even my Thai lady says don’t do it…

dogs Noise parking jealousy drunks drugs car / ice breaking karaoke ….enjoy…. not for this guy.

12 minutes ago, TropicalGuy said:

Guidelines not Rules. No Rules here.

If they make a few people consider their safety profile it’s worth any criticism. No fear or cowardice involved, just defensive living. I do live quietly now but not before …

advocating living in Thai districts ? Even my Thai lady says don’t do it…

dogs Noise parking jealousy drunks drugs car / ice breaking karaoke ….enjoy…. not for this guy.

A very exaggerated example of a 'Thai neighbourhood ' You seem to know nothing of the real Thailand.  I assure that version of Thailand in your imagination is based on class and income - and is similar in London or Liverpool or Lisbon. But the Thai  communities where I live in Pratumnak bear no resemblance to what describe. Indeed Soi 5 has the Royal compounds which  tend to set the  tone  of the whole of Pratumnak  for better or worse. What you are suggesting is silly and prejudiced. Yes there are  dangerous  areas Klong Toey has very dangerous  zones  but throughout Thailand there are settled, respectable, calm, quiet low crime areas which are great to  live  in.

The most important  rule you  missed out is: get to know as many Thais  as possible,  make friends  with them in your community- start with  the shop keepers, vendors and motor said boys.. The my friend is defensive living and situational awareness- not living in a funk of fear relying on a woman

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

A very exaggerated example of a 'Thai neighbourhood ' You seem to know nothing of the real Thailand.  I assure that version of Thailand in your imagination is based on class and income - and is similar in London or Liverpool or Lisbon. But the Thai  communities where I live in Pratumnak bear no resemblance to what describe. Indeed Soi 5 has the Royal compounds which  tend to set the  tone  of the whole of Pratumnak  for better or worse. What you are suggesting is silly and prejudiced. Yes there are  dangerous  areas Klong Toey has very dangerous  zones  but throughout Thailand there are settled, respectable, calm, quiet low crime areas which are great to  live  in.

The most important  rule you  missed out is: get to know as many Thais  as possible,  make friends  with them in your community- start with  the shop keepers, vendors and motor said boys.. The my friend is defensive living and situational awareness- not living in a funk of fear relying on a woman

Exaggerated Worse Case Yes. Hadn’t heard of these higher areas before only low rent up country & city places most posters here seem to live in and think are normal and must be tolerated. I certainly might consider more local interaction.

11 hours ago, TropicalGuy said:

I live in a Thai gated community ....... out of 250 homes, there's me and an Italian.

No crime in the 8 years I've lived here.

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I live in a Thai gated community ....... out of 250 homes, there's me and an Italian.

No crime in the 8 years I've lived here.

I've lived rural, my preference, in walled and unwalled home.  Walled for privacy, not security, as never locked, along with doors of home, unlocked half the time.  No bars on windows.

Also lived in rentals, suburban metro areas, close neighbors, and same unsecured home.  Never a concern about safety, and surprisingly, no thefts.

Never did the gated community thing.  Too expensive and not a fan of neighbors, or more accurately, neighbors not a fan of me ????  So I avoid the environment.

I find Thailand very safe, and as safe as my living environments in the USA, before coming here.  Living in slum (economically depressed) areas mostly, to upscale areas, later on, before switching countries.  Never a safety issue, anywhere.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jotnar said:

Never did the gated community thing.  Too expensive and not a fan of neighbors, or more accurately, neighbors not a fan of me ????  So I avoid the environment.

Only way I could finance a house with a mortgage, and avoid the problem of my wife plotting to earn a 'commission' for herself (by conspiring with the seller).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Gated Residences Expensive & Always on boring flat land in middle of nowhere though. No Sea Views or Close Mountain Views.

I have Both in small semi- gated complex with four floor Townhouse Villa (shared large pool) bought Off Plan from Trusted Developer Landowner( very risky though; don’t do it!). 

Risk Management is Not “Fear”.

Delegation is also not “ Hiding”.

Many Advantages to using Thai Lady Negotiator / Arranger!
Thai Prices ! Specs Followed .Earliest Completion, etc. 

1 hour ago, TropicalGuy said:

Gated Residences Expensive & Always on boring flat land in middle of nowhere though. No Sea Views or Close Mountain Views.

My gated residence views ........... 1.8Mbht for a 3bed, 3 shower ...... not expensive either.

IMG_20200613_064830.jpg

• Like 1

20 hours ago, TropicalGuy said:

Do NOT live in Thai districts.   I do and don't have a problem.

Do NOT engage with Thais (other than essential polite transactions). I do and don't have a problem. 

Have yourThai lady do most or all interaction with other Thais.     Why, i speak for myself in Thai.

Have Nothing to do with ANY toxic people or tourists or street taxis.   I take loads of taxi's beside the odd one idiot, no problems.

Avoid Police & Nightlife.,  Have police family and friends and enjoy Nightlife.

Be Calm Polite Apologetic.        No, i speak my mind to anyone.

Avoid / Walk Away from Trouble.     I don't walk away from trouble.

Never Intervene in Disputes.            No, i speak my mind to anyone.

48 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Do NOT live in Thai districts.   I do and don't have a problem.

Do NOT engage with Thais (other than essential polite transactions). I do and don't have a problem. 

Have yourThai lady do most or all interaction with other Thais.     Why, i speak for myself in Thai.

Have Nothing to do with ANY toxic people or tourists or street taxis.   I take loads of taxi's beside the odd one idiot, no problems.

Avoid Police & Nightlife.,  Have police family and friends and enjoy Nightlife.

Be Calm Polite Apologetic.        No, i speak my mind to anyone.

Avoid / Walk Away from Trouble.     I don't walk away from trouble.

Never Intervene in Disputes.            No, i speak my mind to anyone.

Overdue for a Beating then ….. hopefully no knives or guns involved.

very fortunate spell in Thai neighborhoods then. 
Looking for trouble I see …..