Bacon

night_rider

I'm looking for a nice breakfast bacon. I'm American so I'm looking for streaky, cured, smoked bacon. I also like peppered bacon. I've tried the supermarket offerings from CP and others and they're ok but I'm still looking.

Currently I'm looking at offerings from Laughing Monkey and Chiang Mai Gourmet and seeking comment or other suggestions.

Thanks.

Bought a smoker at Home Pro, a number of bags of Applewood chips from Amazon, pork belly from Makro, and make my own.

No comparison to that found in a country where hotdogs are called breakfast sausage. ????

I toss in some homemade sausage to boot, to make full use of the chips.

And, it still comes out cheaper than Villa.

• Like 2

Haven't been able to find really good bacon around CM for years.  The best bacon (just my opinion) in CM

is the bacon served by the various Dukes restaurants (thick, minimal fat, and a bit of a crunch as it's properly cooked). If we could only figure out where Dave buys it....

Edited by CMBob

3 hours ago, Reposed said:

Bought a smoker at Home Pro, a number of bags of Applewood chips from Amazon, pork belly from Makro, and make my own.

No comparison to that found in a country where hotdogs are called breakfast sausage. ????

I toss in some homemade sausage to boot, to make full use of the chips.

And, it still comes out cheaper than Villa.

Sounds great

On 5/12/2022 at 1:15 PM, CMBob said:

Haven't been able to find really good bacon around CM for years.  The best bacon (just my opinion) in CM

is the bacon served by the various Dukes restaurants (thick, minimal fat, and a bit of a crunch as it's properly cooked). If we could only figure out where Dave buys it....

CM Gourmet. Best bacon American style around. We do use a thick cut. I think it’s a special order. 

Edited by theDukes
  • Like 1

I'm not certain anyone will ever care about this to this degree but for posterity...

I tried Makro per the recommendations above. In the case were the usual brands all of which I've tried with the exception of Bangkok  Meats: TGM (best of the bunch), Arco, CP, Thai Butcher (?). Recommendations above said there were several frozen varieties and I had the hardest time finding them. I scoured the pork offerings to no avail and as I was about to give up found all the frozen bacon over in prepared meats far from the pork. Go figure. There were about 3-4 frozen and I selected the Pichaya brand. 271 per kilo but I selected it because it made my hands smell of smoke after holding the package. A good sign.

All of the brands are thin cut. Not finding any brands of peppered bacon, maple bacon or bacon with particular smoked woods (hickory, applewood, etc). I suspect I can at least get a thick cut moving to the specialty meats like Chiang Mai Gourmet.

I'll drop a note on the quality of the Pichaya after I've had a few rashers.

IMG_2549.jpeg

Edited by night_rider