Thai student hairstyles heat up social media

snoop1130

G0DL5oPyrtt5HBAivXcx5uSe3xjhqZZeJ2Rb7eYCSDB4XO7HAQXK5D.jpg

Student hairstyles are top trending on Twitter today (Thursday), with a “scrap hairstyles” hashtag going viral after the “Bad Student” anti-establishment group posted a picture and strict rules related to student hairstyles at a school in the southern province of Phatthalung.

The rules state that the hair of male students must be cut evenly short, with hair on the front not exceeding three cm in length. Female students must have their hair cut evenly up to the earlobes, for junior high school students, and 4cm below the earlobes for senior high school students.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

The hashtag, which was featured in more than 150,000 tweets on Thursday, comes as schools in Thailand are preparing resume on-site classes next week.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thai-student-hairstyles-heat-up-social-media/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-05-12

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

10 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

“The new hairstyle rules of the Ministry of Education state that, in principle, students can wear their hair short or long, but it must be neat and appropriate

Hmm, both of which are fairly subjective terms…

Would you prefer specific measurements? 

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

Haircuts I see coming out of the schools in London seem to be right out of the book 'How to have your hair cut stupidly'

Yet in Thailand the utterly most absurd haircut is those of the forces and the RTP.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Uniforms - check

Hairstyle - check

Prostration - check

Corporal punishment - check

Crappy food - check

Ratty textbooks - check

Marginally qualified teachers in debt to their eyeballs, twice over - check

Filipino "English" teachers - check

30+ classroom size - check

MoE Bloated Budget - check

Learning - Meh

You missed Violent, money lending to students, and Abusive teachers, and no critical thinking.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Just another method of creating a conformist, subservient, acquiescant population that never questions authority and 'knows their place' in society. 

That is why farang men love Thai ladies so much !!!

• Like 1

On 5/12/2022 at 6:09 PM, Thailand said:

This is a very interesting story that has me thinking deeply about the implications.

I witnessed the hysteria about long hair in America in the 1960's. The cops harassed people just for their hair.

People have too much time on their hands so after worshipping their phone for 8-12hrs they find something else to whine about.

Pathetic.

On 5/13/2022 at 11:58 AM, JonnyF said:

Just another method of creating a conformist, subservient, acquiescant population that never questions authority and 'knows their place' in society. 

I'm not so sure.  Outside of appearance and culture, Thai schools are actually pretty lax, behaviour-wise, with few consequences seen for rule breaking.  Much like the police and courts.  I think that the strict uniform, religion and respect aspects of the curriculum might be the only things keeping the students from anarchy.

Be careful what you wish for, because you certainly won't be getting the critical and independent thinking to replace what there is now anytime soon.

1 hour ago, The Hammer2021 said:

If only  we had it in the  west too

Funnily enough, in the US and the UK, class systems are pretty ingrained.  Neither country has much social mobility.  At least in Thailand rich and poor alike can be corrupt.  In the West, only the wealthy elite can afford to be corrupt.

8 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Free-thinking?  Or just obeying a different group?

It's a tough choice I agree...

But the kids of this nation need to see a real progressive free speaking democratic party that they can vote for in the future.

But for a new party to get into power and get an honest educated minister into each position, cut out the graft and corruption is a big ask.

I feel corruption in all it's forms is so endemic that it's doomed for decades more to come.

On 5/13/2022 at 9:23 AM, mtls2005 said:

Uniforms - check

Hairstyle - check

Prostration - check

Corporal punishment - check

Crappy food - check

Ratty textbooks - check

Marginally qualified teachers in debt to their eyeballs, twice over - check

Filipino "English" teachers - check

30+ classroom size - check

MoE Bloated Budget - check

Learning - Meh