Win98 Gone Queer

raslin

Delete all the .tmp files and rename the .exe to something innocuous (just in case it's important so you can get it back).

Re-start the system and see if the .tmp files come back if not QED :o

winb313 doesn't give any hits in Google or the major virus databases so I don't think it's a nasty.

As noted above, time to consider an upgrade. If your hardware won't run XP at least try Windows 2000, more stable and still supported by MS at least partially.

It's actually a fairly common worm with many names, but varieties of 313.exe is the identifying factor.

Info:

http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/virusencyc...EFU&VSect=T

How to fix:

http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/virusencyc...<deleted>&VSect=Sn

Then for the sake of your data, upgrade to an OS that's supported. 2000/XP/Vista/Linux/osX/etc

Edited by cdnvic

Thanks CNDVIC for pointing me in the right direction. Got Process Explorer and no trace of 313.exe anywhere from it a regedit. But it and I did not like two lots of IPMON and got rid of them both. So far so good.

When I get a new PC later this year I shall have 2000 going, XP has too many problems with old software. I am quite happy to write letters using Amipro!

After four hours I'm about to quite now and will make a final report tomorrow.

Still about 2-4% of my web traffic (98/me)

I have Win98 running on a couple of machines at the lab here, however I set it up to run under XP using VMWare because the users didn't want to lose XP and dual-booting is a bother. Reason for Win98, some Physics simulation applications will only run under native Win98.