SCB Planet Card How Do You Use It?

Thanks to some brief comments by other member in a couple of threads I have recent applied for, and just received an SCB Planet card.

It took about 10 days to arrive to my house by EMS and I activated it using the SCB Easy app.  

When I went to apply for the card I only had an Jad Tem (or something like that) high interest account and that could not be linked to the Planet card.  So I had to open a new regular savings account which I have linked to the card via the app.  Probably better anyway because I have a large chunk of cash in the Jad Tem and just a 100K or so in the savings account I opened so if there is any theft or other misuse of the card the bulk of my funds in the Jad Tem should be immune (I did not add the Jad Tem account to the app only the newly opened savings account).

Anyway I would just like to ask any one who also has the Planet card how have they been using it.  I am especially interested in the input of anyone that has been using it outside of Thailand.

When activating the card in the app I was asked to indicated which phone number I would like to receive the OTPs sent to.

So (I assume) if I use the card for online purchases I will have to approve via an OTP.

But if you are outside of Thailand in another country, how would one receive an OTP?

Thanks in advance for your input.

9 hours ago, Adumbration said:

But if you are outside of Thailand in another country, how would one receive an OTP?

You must activate roaming on the Thai phone number linked to the card. 

OTP via SMS is such an inconvenience as there is a risk of SMS delivery being delayed when on roaming mode. Fortunately my bank in Germany no longer requires it. Their recently improved app now supports in-app approval of transactions. When buying something online, the app detects it and prompts me to approve or reject it. Even ABA in Cambodia offers two options: OTP via SMS or OTP via e-mail. The two options are presented during the transaction.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Adumbration said:

As long as you have activated International roaming on your sim then it should not be a problem.

For most (if not all) receiving SMS out of country is free.

I have not had any issues with that from any financial providers to either my Thai Sim when travelling or a UK sim here in Thailand.

Possibly some countries it may be an issue.

55 minutes ago, topt said:

As long as you have activated International roaming on your sim then it should not be a problem.

For most (if not all) receiving SMS out of country is free.

I have not had any issues with that from any financial providers to either my Thai Sim when travelling or a UK sim here in Thailand.

Possibly some countries it may be an issue.

But the roaming charge is around $10 per day, SMS may be free but not any calls you make. That's why many of us when overseas for say a month we buy a local SIM. But cannot receive a Thai bank OTP, also many banks need you to go thru a process of certifying your phone number, so if you certify your new overseas number you then have to cancel and re-certify your home number again. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mvdf said:

You must activate roaming on the Thai phone number linked to the card. 

OTP via SMS is such an inconvenience as there is a risk of SMS delivery being delayed when on roaming mode. Fortunately my bank in Germany no longer requires it. Their recently improved app now supports in-app approval of transactions. When buying something online, the app detects it and prompts me to approve or reject it. Even ABA in Cambodia offers two options: OTP via SMS or OTP via e-mail. The two options are presented during the transaction.

I have literally never used roaming on a sim card.  I have always bought a sim in the destination country.  I have AIS sim.  What charges are involved if I set it to roaming, and more specifically to receive OTP sms when outside of Thailand?

32 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

I have literally never used roaming on a sim card.  I have always bought a sim in the destination country.  I have AIS sim.  What charges are involved if I set it to roaming, and more specifically to receive OTP sms when outside of Thailand?

Activating roaming mode is free. There is no "activation" fee.

All about AIS roaming: https://www.ais.th/roaming/en/howto.html

Charges: https://www.ais.th/roaming/en/roaming-rate.html

SMS is reasonably priced and fees depend on country or region. Be sure "data roaming" on SIM settings is toggled OFF.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, mvdf said:

SMS is reasonably priced and fees depend on country or region. Be sure "data roaming" on SIM settings is toggled OFF.

Thanks for the info

10 hours ago, kennw said:

But the roaming charge is around $10 per day, SMS may be free but not any calls you make.

Question asked was how one would receive an OTP. Nothing to do with making calls or anything else.

When travelling I have never paid any roaming charges but had my Thai sim available either in a separate phone or now in a dual sim phone

1 hour ago, topt said:

Question asked was how one would receive an OTP. Nothing to do with making calls or anything else.

When travelling I have never paid any roaming charges but had my Thai sim available either in a separate phone or now in a dual sim phone

Would you be so kind to run me through just what you do prior to leaving LOS and once abroad to ensure your receive OTP.

10 hours ago, mvdf said:

The charges page does not work.  Least it hasn't for me for the last 5 hours.

1 hour ago, Adumbration said:

Would you be so kind to run me through just what you do prior to leaving LOS and once abroad to ensure your receive OTP.

Go here to see how to register - https://www.ais.th/roaming/en/register.html

Once registered and if you want to avoid any charges when travelling abroad make sure data is turned off for the AIS sim and don't answer any calls that come in on it from anywhere. You can still use any free wifi with it for Line/Messenger etc that are based on that number.

However make sure your sim has enough credit just in case and more importantly enough validity to cover your trip.

Probably best to set the network (see link in one above post in how to) to automatic.  If possible, to be sure, get someone to send you an SMS from Thailand to check it works. It won't cost you anything to receive and they will only be charged normal SMS rate. If you reply then you will be charged.

The other thing you can try is to check with the call centre that there are no known issues with receiving OTPs in the specific country you are travelling to.

If I have forgotten anything or screwed up I am sure another poster will chip in.......:thumbsup:

1 hour ago, topt said:

Go here to see how to register - https://www.ais.th/roaming/en/register.html

Once registered and if you want to avoid any charges when travelling abroad make sure data is turned off for the AIS sim and don't answer any calls that come in on it from anywhere. You can still use any free wifi with it for Line/Messenger etc that are based on that number.

However make sure your sim has enough credit just in case and more importantly enough validity to cover your trip.

Probably best to set the network (see link in one above post in how to) to automatic.  If possible, to be sure, get someone to send you an SMS from Thailand to check it works. It won't cost you anything to receive and they will only be charged normal SMS rate. If you reply then you will be charged.

The other thing you can try is to check with the call centre that there are no known issues with receiving OTPs in the specific country you are travelling to.

If I have forgotten anything or screwed up I am sure another poster will chip in.......:thumbsup:

Thank you very much for this valuable and detailed information.  Much appreciated.  As I posted above, I have literally never used any sim on roaming. I have always just purchased a new sim in the country I am visiting.

For what you have described.  If I never use data or answer or reply to any calls or messages there should be no cost.  Is that correct?

Yes, receiving SMSes when roaming outside of thailand are free from all three providers here. Obviously you need to enable international roaming before you leave thailand. Although I'm not sure if you need an OTP other than to register/enroll? After that it's PIN or contactless for use.

You may choose to disable mobile data.

There are some videos on Youtube, of thais using this card outside of thailand. I saw a woman using it directly on the MRT in Singapore. This card displays the Visa Contactless logo (4 waves).

https://www.visa.co.th/en_TH/pay-with-visa/contactless-payments/contactless-payments.html

Of larger concern is: Does the SCB Easy app, which is used to 'manage' the card, work outside of thailand? I assume it does but no real world experience on this one.

And does anyone have a read on the five transaction limit per day? Which transactions does that cover? Moving funds into/out of the card? Purchases? ATM activity? All?

It's a brilliant card.

10 hours ago, huyuli said:

I received OTP from SCB by SMS while in Australia for transactions using the SCB app. There was no charge. I have a DTAC postpaid account for which I pay every month via the DTAC app.

Thanks for that input. Interesting I did not know that you could pay prepaid phone number with app.  I currently have a post paid sim with AIS.  Had the number for nearly two decades.  Two questions:

1. Can I port my number to post paid

2. And if I do would I be able to top up credit and validity in Australia using my SCB app. 

2 hours ago, Adumbration said:

Pretty sure you mean port FROM postpaid to prepaid? Since you say you are currently

have a post paid sim with AIS

They won't be pleased, and will entice you with promotions and discounts, but you can do it.

And if I do would I be able to top up credit and validity in Australia using my SCB app. 

Yes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Pretty sure you mean port FROM postpaid to prepaid? Since you say you are currently

They won't be pleased, and will entice you with promotions and discounts, but you can do it.

Yes.

I currently have a prepaid sim.  In fact never had postpaid.  Is that easy to apply for and how do you do it?

2. And if I do would I be able to top up credit and validity in Australia using my SCB app. 

1, I don't know.

2. Yes. The DTAC app will allow payments from a number of Thai banks including SCB. The payment is verified by OTP sent to the DTAC number and it appears on my phone while it is in Australia.