New Chao Phraya Bridge Scheduled to Open in 2023

webfact

image.jpeg

by Natthaphon Sangpolsit

BANGKOK (NNT) - The Expressway Authority of Thailand (EXAT) has provided updates on the construction of the Chao Phraya River’s widest cable-stayed bridge, which is scheduled to open in 2023.

According to EXAT, the eight-lane bridge - which will run parallel to Rama IX Bridge - is currently over 72% complete. The 2-km bridge comes under the fourth contract for the expressway project covering Rama III, Dao Khanong, and Western Outer Ring Road, and facilitates transportation between Bangkok and the western area.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

With a construction budget of 6.6 billion baht, the new bridge is designed to facilitate traffic flow and withstand strong winds of 270 km/h, equivalent to a powerful tornado. The project was undertaken by CH Karnchang Plc and allotted a construction period of 39 months.

Once completed, the bridge is expected to serve as a new capital landmark due to its intricate and pronounced design, while also helping to alleviate traffic in the area. Additionally, the department is working with related agencies to seek a royally sponsored name for the new landmark bridge in honor of His Majesty the King.

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2022-05-16

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Anyone actually believe it will look like the photo when finished ? Or just more poured concrete.

The side previously built and in use looks exactly like the photo. I drive across it daily and can see it from my balcony.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Once completed, the bridge is expected to serve as a new capital landmark due to its intricate and pronounced design, while also helping to alleviate traffic in the area

I thought the intention of building another bridge would be the other way round.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NE1 said:

I thought the intention of building another bridge would be the other way round.

Yes I thought the older bridge would be used for outbound traffic and the new one for inbound traffic.  Kind of silly if they are using it for 4 lanes out and 4 lanes in with the other bridge doing the same, unless they are connecting to a different highway......

35 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

The side previously built and in use looks exactly like the photo. I drive across it daily and can see it from my balcony.

Those other 2 bridges look quite nice also; Bhumibol Bridge 1 & 2 

image.png.5e80166e0fe581b8ef073001daa23746.png

image.png.4eb15896f664a35b0eeee911bde448b9.png

Edited by KhunLA

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Those other 2 bridges look quite nice also; Bhumibol Bridge 1 & 2 

image.png.5e80166e0fe581b8ef073001daa23746.png

image.png.4eb15896f664a35b0eeee911bde448b9.png

Yes they are a nice change from the other eyesore old bridges. Wish they would update the smaller Thaksin bridge going from the Business and Banking District on Sathorn Thai across the river towards Icon Siam and Thonburi.

• Like 1

Just now, PETERTHEEATER said:

The article states 'eight lane' yet the image shows a four lane.....????

That's because Thais count both sides of a highway whereas most of the world consider it is the number of lanes in a single traffic flow direction that is counted.

In 2006 for a year or so I lived in Klong San. The BTS Skytrain at that time stopped on the east bank of the Chao Praya and did not cross over the Sapan Thaksin bridge. I would take the ferry across the river to the Klong San Pepsi pier (so-called because the Bangkok Pepsi bottler was located there) 
and then a motorbike taxi to my apartment.

The ferry to Klong San Pepsi pier across the river was located next to the pier for the touristy Chao Praya River taxi. So invariably some do-gooder Thai would yell at me in Thai "You're at the wrong pier!" and frantically point to the Chao Praya River taxi Pier to which I would have to say "Thank you. No. I live in Klong San".

BTW there was a different ferry located at what is now the IconSiam but that was then a typical low-rent Thai market site. I would use that ferry because it went directly to the Sheraton Royal Orchid which I used for their lobby wi-fi and nice buffet lunch.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

The article states 'eight lane' yet the image shows a four lane.....????

If the new bridge is to be entirely for one direction traffic and the old the other direction it would be eight lane? I've never seen a map of it yet to see what the new bridge connects to.

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

The bridge is 8 lanes, 4 lanes in each direction.

OK, I see now. It's the contrast setting on my tablet. Adjusting it I now see the dotted lane markings.

Edited by PETERTHEEATER
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Anyone actually believe it will look like the photo when finished ? Or just more poured concrete.

I live nearby and I have to admit the project progresses quite fast. It's not just the bridge itself but also the elevated feeder roads, toll booths and entrances that need to be built.

I wish the underground power cabling on Rama 3 would finish soon as well, it's been almost 10 years they have digged up the road and ruins the cars' suspensions daily. ????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

It will be very similar...the project is massive and concrete quality so far, on the overhead expressway is as good as anywhere....the bridge will be excellent also 

• Like 1