Ether cold start spray. where to buy?

We have an emergency generator semi-permanently installed in the workshop - exhaust piped to outside of course - for those fairly regular occasions when we get the EGAT changing poles, or storms knock out the supply. This is because in this heat a freezer rapidly goes up in temperature and we got 2 big freezers and fridge to protect. 

Comments about "why" irrelevant - that is how we choose to live thanks!

So, the gennie is petrol-engined and being used maybe 3 times a year the fuel gets a bit stale although we chuck in some fresh before starting, and it is a recoil pull-start 7hp motor - I got a bad back and although the gennie has probably only doe some 50 hours from new, new was 15 years ago in the UK. Bought originally to power water pump and jet wash to wash our boat on it's mooring in the UK once a year it came with us in 2015 to Thailand. It's about to get it's first service but is getting increasingly hard to start and doing my back no good at all.

So - where can I get an ether spray to assist it and me is my question. Like the Australian "Start you B'stard" spray and as used all over the world except it seems here? Lazada either don't have it or I am asking the wrong questions. I figure it'll help it go back to it's original 2nd pull starting with luck. Service is change oil and clean plug only assuming it needs cleaning and take out all the fuel and bung it in my wife's car!

Existing starting problems can also be solved with a brake cleaner if no Startpilot is at hand. The liquids have almost the same properties and are therefore suitable as a starting aid.
With Startpilot there are extremely hard burns when starting, especially if you overdo it. With brake cleaner, the burns are much softer, almost like normal starting.

At LAZADA from about 115.-THB

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/getsun-brake-cleaner-getsun-official-thailand-30vp-fast-auto-i2851145926-s10400230887.html?exlaz=d_1:mm_150050845_51350205_2010350205::12:12654756915!117524295342!!!pla-293946777986!c!293946777986!10400230887!269567987&gclid=Cj0KCQjwyYKUBhDJARIsAMj9lkHqYRJtr5_2lC-bjtoeKGyiTPDCiRu1d_vTSB4DC5_-I7HvXVnq8zMaApuyEALw_wcB

2 hours ago, cliveshep said:

Service is change oil and clean plug only assuming it needs cleaning and take out all the fuel and bung it in my wife's car!

If the geny has a Carb drain it so fresh fuel can refill into the carb, as said wd40 sprayed into air intake way to go.

I have some GetSun Carb Cleaner (came from Lazada) which is most effective as an EasyStart substitute when the mower is in a bad mood.

I swap out the genset fuel every 6 months or so and use it in the mower and strimmers.

image.thumb.png.924f481cd53e4a16d73da59365806cd3.png

• Like 1

Were it me I would take the pull starter off and use a cordless drill & socket to start it. 

Do you have a car you can burn the gas in? If so, store the gas in cans and rotate it monthly. 

I've used brake cleaner for sure-start on diesel engines, I assume it will work for petrol engines. That said, I would be real carful. Petrol engines often back-fire when you're tryin to start them, which can result in the engine catching fire, particularly if you're squirting gas in the carburetor and whatnot.  Been-there, done-that a few times...

Well, I've ordered the GetSun carb cleaner and the brake cleaner and 6 litres of cheap 10w40 engine oil from Lazada, and I'm going to pump out/suck out the 4 gallon vor less of petrol in the generator's tank. Fortunately from my days of diesel yacht ownership when I was far more affluent I have a Pela Pump that will extract it effortlessly via a 1/2" hose and adapter, far quicker than the standard Pela 4mm tube used to suck out engine oil so emptying the tank will be easy.

Also downloaded the manual from the manufacturers so hopefully can find all it's service bits! Got to find my spark-plug cleaning machine and carborundum dust somewhere in the dusty bowels of the workshop but it's will appear no doubt. 

Thanks for help and advice guys.

There should be some sort of fuel filter in the supply line this should be replaced as they are normally a fine mesh (washable) or a paper filter (disposable) they do get clogged up and will block some of the fuel supply off

• Like 1

On 5/16/2022 at 7:49 AM, cliveshep said:

I got a bad back and although the gennie has probably only doe some 50 hours from new, new was 15 years ago in the UK.

One of my weekly or bi-weekly duties on board ship was to start the emergency fire pump during fire drill. So I would recommend a routine genset starting routine to keep it reliable.

Modern engines with electronic ignition require a minimum cranking speed of about 1800rpm. Sounds easy but it has to be an explosive type pull to get that much speed. For bad back I recommend a cheap cordless electric drill with a socket to use as an electric starter. 

• Like 1

The cordless is a good idea but one would have to remove the recoil unit first. Might try that anyway when I pull the thing out to hoist it up to a working height (for me that is) to service it. But not sure 15 year old Chinese cheapies had electronic ignition anyway? Its a 7.5hp motor btw.

On 5/23/2022 at 10:04 PM, cliveshep said:

The cordless is a good idea but one would have to remove the recoil unit first. Might try that anyway when I pull the thing out to hoist it up to a working height (for me that is) to service it. But not sure 15 year old Chinese cheapies had electronic ignition anyway? Its a 7.5hp motor btw.

We just took the recoil off and left in off. Did this on a few small engines  one pony-that we converted from a crank...