Hilux Heavy Duty 4x4 Awol?

The Mighty-X model hi-lux truck had a heavy-duty 4x4 model available that is still widely used by the Royal Project, NGO's and anyone else who needs serious off-road capability in combination with load carrying capacity. I'm talking about the (mostly single cab) 4x4 trucks with leaf spring suspection also in the front. (SR-5 has wishbones).

When the Hi-lux Tiger came out, the 4x4 model was severely castrated in that the cargo bed was actually shorter, and no single cab model seemed to be widely available.

Again with the current Vigo model I don't see heavy duty 4x4 versions with full cargo bed available.

Surely Royal Project, the highway department and everyone else still driving Mighty-X era 4x4's must be starting to look at replacing them. But, with what? Would those heavy duty vehicles be a special batch from Toyota that aren't available from a regular showroom? I'm talking the proper wheels (thin), front axle with leaf springs, no electric windows and other crap that can break, just a 'pure' truck.

What gives?

The Mighty-X model hi-lux truck had a heavy-duty 4x4 model available that is still widely used by the Royal Project, NGO's and anyone else who needs serious off-road capability in combination with load carrying capacity. I'm talking about the (mostly single cab) 4x4 trucks with leaf spring suspection also in the front. (SR-5 has wishbones).

When the Hi-lux Tiger came out, the 4x4 model was severely castrated in that the cargo bed was actually shorter, and no single cab model seemed to be widely available.

Again with the current Vigo model I don't see heavy duty 4x4 versions with full cargo bed available.

Surely Royal Project, the highway department and everyone else still driving Mighty-X era 4x4's must be starting to look at replacing them. But, with what? Would those heavy duty vehicles be a special batch from Toyota that aren't available from a regular showroom? I'm talking the proper wheels (thin), front axle with leaf springs, no electric windows and other crap that can break, just a 'pure' truck.

What gives?

Actually many shops in Thailand are now ripping out the wishbones and replacing them with the good old toyota LN 106 straight axles. This is being done to Ford/Mazda, Toyota, Nissan and sometimes Mitsubishi.

I think Boonnitti Offroad is one of the ones doing it.

Sadly straight axles do not corner as well as IFS suspension (stupid people roll them in the USA) and it is because of this that they are no longer made in pickups. Toyota still make a 105 Landruiser specifically for the Australian Market and NGO's like the UN that has straight axles.

Badbanker

Thanks, I didn't know it was called LN-106.. Question remains though, why doesn't Toyota still make and sell an equivalent vehicle in Thailand? You'd think there'd be a demand for a toughened up 4x4 pick-up, or failing that, at least a de-pimped Vigo 4x4.

Edited by chanchao

Something about world markets and not spending money on excess inventory for small runs.

OH, the 800 pound gorilla of Japanese car manufacturers does not need to really make cars for a very small segment of society when the vehicles they make are OK.

Bad Banker

PS you can buy a LN 106 chassis with springs and diffs and put it under your Tiger or Vigo if you want!