Entering on a different visa

Hey everyone! I'd appreciate your input on this.

I have a non-o visa based on my husband's work visa as a teacher. 

I'm currently not in thailand for a little while, and that visa ends on a june 30. 

even though I have a re-entry permit, I would like to go back to thailand, but enter on a tourist visa. can I go to the embassy and ask for my non-o visa to be cancelled and instead ask for a tourist visa? 

thank you! 

38 minutes ago, balibalibalu said:

I'm currently not in thailand for a little while, and that visa ends on a june 30.

I assume you mean that your current permission of stay is till June 30. Your reentry permit would end same date.

The easy option it to wait till after that date. 

Don't think your local embassy can cancel your current permit.

Your re-entry permit is what would allow your permission to stay from the original Non O visa to be reinstated. If, in addition, you have a tourist visa in your passport, Immigration will generally give you a choice between reinstating the old permission to stay or giving you a fresh (60-day) permission to stay from the tourist visa. I would expect the application for a tourist visa to go smoothly. From which country are you planning to apply for the tourist visa?

It's always helpful first to familiarize with the concept of permission of stay vis-a-vis a visa. A visa allows a person to enter a country and permission of stay allows a permission to stay in a country. A visa can be a single entry or multiple entry. A multiple entry visa allows to enter the country multiple times till the end date of the visa. A single entry allows only one time entry, irrespective of when the visa expires. A re-entry permit keeps your permission of stay date intact. What it means is if you leave the country and enter again before the permission of stay date, then you will allowed to enter, otherwise without a reentry permit you won't be allowed to enter. 

A tourist visa will allows you to enter the country with a permission of stay for 60-days.