Vaccine protection rates slipping? A very sobering interview from the Scripps Institute

Jingthing

By protection rates I mean protection from serious illness and death for infected people who are well vaccinated.

Dr. Topol of the Scripps Institute asserts protection slippage from 95 to 80 percent based on the variant situation in the US (massively infectious).

The entire world wants this to be over and behaving as it is over in so many places.

But is it really?

Covid segment including Scripps interview starts at 31:50

https://www.scripps.edu/faculty/topol/

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CANSIAM said:

Well I suppose I will go ahead with my 2nd Moderna booster next month and continue to try to be aware and careful......

Definitely but my take on this is the Holy Grail vaccine doesn't exist yet and there isn't much political will to invest in developing it.

• Like 1

from the beginning of this year there suppose to be imported to thailand the 2nd generation moderna (those payed at private hospitals in August). Not sure if anything from that upgraded vax ever materialised.

There also suppose to be constant tweaking of the AZ (that one some 6 weeks for laboratory work, possible research on people, and many months for developing production on large scale).

As I am aware there is a surplus of many different vaxes in developed countries and some already expired (so the producers are forced to change their original expiry date). Difficult to re-sale, swap or even give away (example of the remaining 1mln pfizer from the usa - not sure, where it's now).

For me vax way is almost finished - my national vax application in europe has data from morprompt and allowed me to take only 1 moderna (on top of 2 thai pfizers).

I still have 2 Moderna from Medpark. I wish I never bought them, as I can get them free in europe and thailand.

For me, at this stage, covid is a remote issue. I had got omicron and I don't think I will get anything more within the next 6 months (if at all).

There are many other vaxes, not directly covid related, which should be taken care of - starting from the seasonal flu shot

Edited by internationalism

On 5/18/2022 at 12:35 PM, zackz said:

Should come as no surprise. The covid vaccine program and development is steeped and shrouded in mystery. Moderna's groundbreaking coronavirus vaccine was designed in just 2 days.
This information is nothing new and has been stated long ago but essentially ignored by MSM. The current covid shots are still targeting the original virus strain that first emerged in Wuhan, China, in 2019. As the virus has evolved over the past two years, the vaccines have become less effective.

Of course, to acquire that immunity to covid, you first actually have to contract covid. 

As we've seen from the figures in the USA, death rates from Covid are much higher in areas that have lower vaccination rates.

That vaccines do protect against serious illness and death may seem like a minor point to you, but not so much to me.

5 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Of course, to acquire that immunity to covid, you first actually have to contract covid. 

As we've seen from the figures in the USA, death rates from Covid are much higher in areas that have lower vaccination rates.

That vaccines do protect against serious illness and death may seem like a minor point to you, but not so much to me.

Yes but referring to the interview as new variants develop that important protection is being significantly degraded.

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Yes but referring to the interview as new variants develop that important protection is being significantly degraded.

That may be a sound argument for better vaccines, but it's not one that supports not getting vaccinated with the most effective ones available now.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2022 at 3:46 PM, zackz said:

Taking an injection every 3 or 4 months for a multi mutated sub-variant designed and intended only for the original & obsolete wuhan virus of 2019 for a condition that has a >98% survival rate is nothing short of lunacy...

Just because the vaccine wasn't designed for the current version of covid, doesn't mean that it's ineffective. There's a huge gap between "not as effective" and "ineffective". The T-cell system particularly, is a great generalizer and can adapt to different variants of the virus. 

Denialists tend to focus on the vaccines lesser effectiveness at stopping transmission rather than on their far greater effectiveness in reducing serious illness and deaths. In fact, generally speaking, when they use the term "effectiveness" or "efficacy" they act as though these terms only have to do with transmission. Which is extremely misleading at best.

Also, as data from the US shows, deaths are far higher in areas where vaccination rates are lower. Before vaccinations were available this wasn't the case.

The divergence happened after the vaccines became available. And the divergence persists until today.

The Changing Political Geography of COVID-19 Over the Last Two Years

https://www.pewresearch.org/politics/2022/03/03/the-changing-political-geography-of-covid-19-over-the-last-two-years/

On 5/19/2022 at 3:46 PM, zackz said:

Taking an injection every 3 or 4 months for a multi mutated sub-variant designed and intended only for the original & obsolete wuhan virus of 2019 for a condition that has a >98% survival rate is nothing short of lunacy...

It turns out that people who have been vaccinated for smallpox are quite protected against monkeypox as well.

Britain offers smallpox shot as monkeypox cases spread in Europe

So, just because a vaccine wasn't designed for a particular variant of a virus, doesn't mean it can't provide powerful protection against a variant of that virus

There isn't a specific vaccine for monkeypox, but a smallpox vaccine does offer some protection, a UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) spokesperson said.

Data shows that vaccines that were used to eradicate smallpox are up to 85% effective against monkeypox, according to the World Health Organization.

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/britain-offers-smallpox-shot-monkeypox-cases-spread-europe-2022-05-19/

The current challenge facing covid therapy is to create vaccines to protect against ever evolving covid variants and more importantly to identify and resolve the reasons causing waning VE characteristics of mRNA vaccines. The time is now to investigate mRNA top to bottom and modify it to perform better or find alternatives.

“scientists are urgently trying to solve, and that is whether some of this drop off in our protection may be a result of the mRNA technology used to build some Covid-19 vaccines, such as those developed by Moderna and Pfizer/BioNTech, which were the first in the world to use this platform”.

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/05/20/health/mrna-vaccine-technology-covid-19-durability/index.html