Reminder: Elections in Pattaya will see alcohol sales bans this upcoming weekend

webfact

image.jpeg

By Adam Judd

Pattaya, Thailand - The first mayor elections in Pattaya in almost a decade will take place this Sunday, May 22nd, in Pattaya.

With this election also comes, by Thai law, a ban on alcohol sales in voting jurisdictions from 6:00 P.M. the evening before, Saturday May 21st, until polls close, 6:00 P.M. Sunday.

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2022/05/18/reminder-elections-in-pattaya-will-see-alcohol-sales-bans-this-upcoming-weekend/

PattayaNews.jpg
-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2022-05-18

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bbko said:

Cue the moaning and groaning from the alcoholic expats...555.

They just need to stock up if they're so desperate for a drink.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, anchadian said:

They just need to stock up if they're so desperate for a drink.

Or flee the dry zone.

Never more than about 11 km/ 7 miles :biggrin:

Funny law.

pattaya.jpg

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Haha 2

Vesak Buchha no alcohol sales, election day no alcohol sale, in daytime except between 11-14.00 no alcohol sale...there are no other methods??? Are all Thai people alcohol addicts?? if not why the restrictions?? Just to put simple cross on a paper? Maybe better to put someone at the entrance who check if you did drink before the voting. People in restaurants and bars hve suffered enough in past years..Let them make some money now

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, bbko said:

Cue the moaning and groaning from the alcoholic expats...555.

Quite right too. It's an antiquated and completely pointless law anyway, just like the restricted alcohol  selling hours each and every day. Especially in a land that's trying to kick-start its tourist trade.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jesimps said:

Quite right too. It's an antiquated and completely pointless law anyway, just like the restricted alcohol  selling hours each and every day. Especially in a land that's trying to kick-start its tourist trade.

It is not a pointless law at all. It's one that's been brought in by lawmakers who know their own kind and a very sensible one it is too.

It's purpose is to reduce the the chances of 'vote buying' by unscrupulous candidates who would otherwise ply voters with drinks in order to curry favour. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Vesak Buchha no alcohol sales, election day no alcohol sale, in daytime except between 11-14.00 no alcohol sale...there are no other methods??? Are all Thai people alcohol addicts?? if not why the restrictions?? Just to put simple cross on a paper? Maybe better to put someone at the entrance who check if you did drink before the voting. People in restaurants and bars hve suffered enough in past years..Let them make some money now

They put Road blocks up to discourage drinking and driving, that appears o be ineffective as well ?

Nothing to stop a Thai necking loads of alcohol bought the day before then going to vote.

3 hours ago, rott said:

Cue the predictable condescending nonsense from those who do not drink. 

I spend a fair amount of my monthly budget on beer, so I'm hardly a tea-toaddler, 555.  I'm just saying announcements of "no alcohol" sales days always brings the standard complaints. 

The "rule" is no SALES, nothing about you can't drink at home, at the beach, at a friend's house, there's nothing stopping someone from stocking up the day before or even the day of (from many mom & pop stores) and getting blitzed drunk.   Why do many here fail to understand that concept?  

20 hours ago, bbko said:

I spend a fair amount of my monthly budget on beer, so I'm hardly a tea-toaddler, 555.  I'm just saying announcements of "no alcohol" sales days always brings the standard complaints. 

The "rule" is no SALES, nothing about you can't drink at home, at the beach, at a friend's house, there's nothing stopping someone from stocking up the day before or even the day of (from many mom & pop stores) and getting blitzed drunk.   Why do many here fail to understand that concept?  

Not everybody likes to drink at home, and are aware that you can buy from a shop but have no interest in it.

So comments advising them that this can be done are repetitive and pointless. I like going out for a drink but when it can't be done it is inconvenient but not a major problem. 

3 hours ago, rott said:

Not everybody likes to drink at home, and are aware that you can buy from a shop but have no interest in it.

Go to the new extension of Jomtien Beach and rent a table for 100 baht, bring your own drinks. It's like sitting in a bar. 

• Like 1