Are Travel Agencies Making A Comeback?

webfact

image.jpeg

By Editor

More travellers are likely to revisit travel agencies for their domestic travel plans across five Southeast Asian nations, according to findings in a Milieu Insight study released on Wednesday.

The Southeast Asian consumer research and analytics firm, released findings* of domestic travel plans for summer vacation across the Philippines, Indonesia, Vietnam, Malaysia and Thailand as Covid-19 restrictions ease.

Respondents showed a willingness to embark on domestic travel as restrictions across Asia are being lifted. But the study suggests that up to 80% of domestic travellers indicated they would likely use travel agencies to expedite their domestic travel and vacation plans. If so, that bucks a long-term trend that has seen travellers deserting travel agency services to manage their own travel plans, particularly in the domestic travel market.

Respondents also remain concerned for their safety even towards domestic travel, fearing a resurgence in Covid-19 cases could shut down resorts and prevent them from returning to their homes and work.

Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

Travellers from Indonesia (89%), Vietnam (83%) and Thailand (79%) expressed concern for themselves when it comes to domestic travel. This willingness to travel is also reflected in the domestic travel policies of these countries, as there are minimal restrictions involved in their inter-state/inter-provincial travel protocols.

When planning for their upcoming summer vacation, most travellers across all five countries are looking to unwind and reconnect with their families after two years of pandemic isolation (Philippines 83%, Indonesia 82%, Vietnam 78%, Malaysia 81%, Thailand 79%).

Hotels remain the top choice for accommodation across all five countries, with more than half of the respondents from Thailand said they preferred pool villas (54%).

Despite only travelling within their home countries, most Southeast Asian travellers are prepared to engage with a travel agency to plan their domestic travel.  Up to 85%, believe that engaging with a travel agent may ensure a less stressful trip, creating more time and leisure for travellers to enjoy their first post-pandemic vacation with their loved ones.

Land transport is the preferred mode of transport (76%) when travelling domestically.

*Findings are based on Milieu Insight surveys with N=1000 respondents each from the Philippines, Indonesia, Vietnam, Thailand and Malaysia, conducted in April 2022.

Source: https://royalcoastreview.com/2022/05/are-travel-agencies-making-a-comeback/

image.png

-- © Copyright Royal Coast Review 2022-05-19

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Of course travel agencies will return, people to fleece always attracts them.

One factor could be the difficulty/extreme difficulty/not possible to contact the airline direct whereas can ask an agent for specific answers.

• Like 1

don't think so, nobody wants to waste their time going into an agent office just to book a ticket when i can use a phone to book ticket, only thing an agent can offer is a cup of coffee while you wait, phone and app is everything these days you can basically do anything.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vinci said:

don't think so, nobody wants to waste their time going into an agent office just to book a ticket when i can use a phone to book ticket, only thing an agent can offer is a cup of coffee while you wait, phone and app is everything these days you can basically do anything.

You do realize you do not have to physically go to an office to use an agent, right?

They have phones, email, and social media.

For a non standard trip it's a good option 

• Like 1

Slightly off topic, but may interest some of you.

I work for Delta, and I can't tell you how many times I've had to deal with customers who have booked through third parties, like expedia, travelocity, and travel agents etc.

Just be aware, if stuff goes wrong we can't help resolve the ticket. If the ticket isn't booked directly with the airline, all bets are off.

I have had irate customers and the best I can tell them, you need to call the entity that booked the ticket, we can't help.

Case in point. I had a guy who thought he was booking a ticket to Grand Rapids through an online app, actually booked a ticket to my station Rapid City, when he landed in Rapid City, a little distressed shall we say.

Thought that we should be the ones to fix his little faux pas. Think again my friend, call the app...if you can!

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Like 1