Medical Emergency In Hua Hin

terry57

ok punters, ive got another story to offer and im running at an average of 1 a week which is right on par for my trips to los.

i walk outside my hotel and i hear all this commotion and chaos coming from another hotel.

there's an old farang who had been having a nice glass of wine, has gone into a seizure and is lying on the floor fitting.

'he's on his back, eyes rolled back into his head with a security guard trying to perform heart massage on him.

other farang are standing there in shock and the other thais are just in a state of general panic. :D

to experience this first hand is a very scary situation as one thinks the person is dying there in front of you especially when there gurgling away grasping for air with only the whites of there eyes showing.

my mate was an epileptic and had done this in front of me so i had experienced it before and had an idea what to do. i also have first aid training so that also kicked in. but all the same its a bad scene to witness.

the gaurd was doing his best but was doing all the wrong things and if he carried on the poor fella would of died through a simple blocked air way.

the fella was trying to breath so his heart was still working and no heart massage was required.

his big problem was he was suffocating in his own fluid and was on his back with no chance to get air and get a clear airway.

i took over from the thai guy, rolled him on to his side, cleared his airway and maintained it so the poor fella could get some air into him self.

he was still fitting away but a least he was breathing and was not going to die because of a simple blocked airway.

i must say he was bloody crook and not at all looking to good but he was not going to die on me.

the only thing one can do in this situation is not restrain the person but let them carry on until they start to get over it.

the most important thing is to tilt there head back whilst they are on there side and maintain there airway so they get the air into themselves as they will be gasping away in a very horrid way.

anyway, i just watched this poor fella until an ambulance came and took him to hospital and the good news is that he was starting to recover a tad by the time they arrived.

i checked on him today, he's still in hospital but not dying. :D

the moral of this story is to make you punters aware of the need to learn basic first aid as one never knows when they will be called upon to help an unfortunate stranger and it could be you that needs helping.

remember the basics of A. B. C.

A = AIRWAY. always make sure that the person can breath and never leave someone on there back as the tounge will block the throat. roll them on there side.

B. = BREATHING. always check for breathing, as if there breathing thats all thats important in the first instance.

C = CIRCULATION. feel for a pulse if they are not breathing. if they arnt breathing and have no pulse one then needs to start heart massage.

hope i can help some of you people become aware of the basics and ive just saved this fellas life by knowing the basics.

thank you very much punting friends and its all good in hua hin at the moment. :D

anyway, im of to koh tao tomorrow and im sure to have another cracker story in 1 weeks time. :o

Well done Terry. One of my employees used to fit regularly. The doctor tried all sorts of different pills on him, but some of them were really bad and he'd fit every few days. Used to scare the sh1t out of me, but you get used to it.

He always used to give this loud noise just before he fitted, so I used to rush out of my office to help whenever I heard it. The annoying thing was, he also used to make this noise when he was having a good laugh. So I'd be rushing out my office ready to deal with him only to find him laughing at something. That used to drive me crazy! Maybe I should've told him to stop laughing so much, but didn't have the heart, just relieved he was all right. :o

Edited by JetsetBkk

ok punters, ive got another story to offer and im running at an average of 1 a week which is right on par for my trips to los.

i walk outside my hotel and i hear all this commotion and chaos coming from another hotel.

there's an old farang who had been having a nice glass of wine, has gone into a seizure and is lying on the floor fitting.

'he's on his back, eyes rolled back into his head with a security guard trying to perform heart massage on him.

other farang are standing there in shock and the other thais are just in a state of general panic. :D

to experience this first hand is a very scary situation as one thinks the person is dying there in front of you especially when there gurgling away grasping for air with only the whites of there eyes showing.

my mate was an epileptic and had done this in front of me so i had experienced it before and had an idea what to do. i also have first aid training so that also kicked in. but all the same its a bad scene to witness.

the gaurd was doing his best but was doing all the wrong things and if he carried on the poor fella would of died through a simple blocked air way.

the fella was trying to breath so his heart was still working and no heart massage was required.

his big problem was he was suffocating in his own fluid and was on his back with no chance to get air and get a clear airway.

i took over from the thai guy, rolled him on to his side, cleared his airway and maintained it so the poor fella could get some air into him self.

he was still fitting away but a least he was breathing and was not going to die because of a simple blocked airway.

i must say he was bloody crook and not at all looking to good but he was not going to die on me.

the only thing one can do in this situation is not restrain the person but let them carry on until they start to get over it.

the most important thing is to tilt there head back whilst they are on there side and maintain there airway so they get the air into themselves as they will be gasping away in a very horrid way.

anyway, i just watched this poor fella until an ambulance came and took him to hospital and the good news is that he was starting to recover a tad by the time they arrived.

i checked on him today, he's still in hospital but not dying. :D

the moral of this story is to make you punters aware of the need to learn basic first aid as one never knows when they will be called upon to help an unfortunate stranger and it could be you that needs helping.

remember the basics of A. B. C.

A = AIRWAY. always make sure that the person can breath and never leave someone on there back as the tounge will block the throat. roll them on there side.

B. = BREATHING. always check for breathing, as if there breathing thats all thats important in the first instance.

C = CIRCULATION. feel for a pulse if they are not breathing. if they arnt breathing and have no pulse one then needs to start heart massage.

hope i can help some of you people become aware of the basics and ive just saved this fellas life by knowing the basics.

thank you very much punting friends and its all good in hua hin at the moment. :D

anyway, im of to koh tao tomorrow and im sure to have another cracker story in 1 weeks time. :D

Well done Terry. :o

I did a first aid course years ago but I cant remember about clearing the airway....is it ok just to reach in and pull there tongue forward if its blocking (assuming they are already in the recovery position)?

Yes, that should be done, if it's blocking the airway. Be careful if they're fitting, though - you could get bitten. Also, do not put anything like a pencil into the mouth if someone's fitting. That's an old wive's tale that's potentially highly dangerous.

If the person wears dentures, those should also be carefully removed, to avoid possible obstruction.

Well done, Terry. Hope you enjoyed your time in HH.

I did a first aid course years ago but I cant remember about clearing the airway....is it ok just to reach in and pull there tongue forward if its blocking (assuming they are already in the recovery position)?

No, it is not. Terry did it the correct way. Roll them on to their sides with the mouth facing down. Putting anything in their mouth can cause them injury. Putting your fingers in can cause you injury. Good onya Terry.

I always heard your fingers could get bitten off if you put them in there. How about the old wooden spoon story? I've always heard putting in a big wooden spoon might help, as it's too big to swallow and your fingers won't get hurt.

So, Batman Terry, how did you got about clearing his airway?

WELL DONE THAT MAN!!!!!!

Sounds like you did everything about right. It's a great feeling when someone starts to recover (helped haul a Thai lady out of a pool, two of us got her breathing again, full recovery).

Add to your list, in the car have a decent first-aid kit and a fire extinguisher (and don't worry about using it on someone elses car).

EDIT. Yep elkangorito, I was always taught D (Danger) first, no use doing CPR etc. if the patient is about to be run over by a train.

Edited by Crossy

Well done terry. :o

I did a course in first aid in Aberdeen as part of my offshore certificate training but that was a long while back and I've only used the clear airway bit on one occasion, fortunately the paramedics were quick on the scene. None of us know how we'll react in a real emergency, we just hope and pray we do the right thing at the right time like yourself.