Electric Fence

The Mrs has some cows near our fish farms who roam around eating the grass. Her brother takes care of them but has to go and work somewhere. The Mrs doesn't want the cows to roam into the man sam palang field that is on the next plot and so want to put up an electric fence. 

There is no electricity up there so looking for options how to power it. Thinking of a car battery type of thing but how could I charge the battery back up and would it need some sort of regulator etc? Anyone here done similar or have any ideas.

We used electric fences at home. You just need an energizer and a battery (car ok but marine deep cycle better) - both cheap enough on lazada.  Likely recharge the deep cycle every month or so - battery chargers also cheap enough. 

You could go hassle free and get a solar fence energizer - but they are more money.

Seems it would be a lot easier & practical to simply run 1 or 2 lines of barbed wire.

I had that issue with a neighbor, her cows, enjoying my yard before having wall.   Told next they visit, I'll be eating beef for dinner.   Problem was solved. ????

• Haha 1

Depends on how much you want to spend. You will either need insulators or DIY blue plastic pipe. Wooden posts insulate but won't last as long as concrete.

Wire spacing for cattle is easy but need lower wires if they have calves.

spacer.png

Energizer as has been said can be bought from Lazada but none of them are really weather proof.

Energizers use about 10W so any cheap solar trickle charger above 10W will do.

Aluminium wire is lighter and rust proof if you can find it.

Have a look around the neighborhood do you see any fences with strips of white shopping bag tied to the wire? If so the local cattle may already be trained to avoid electric fences and so all you need is the posts and the wire.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Seems it would be a lot easier & practical to simply run 1 or 2 lines of barbed wire.

I told the wife that but for some reason she wants electric. I think she's scared of the cows getting cut and getting infected

2 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Depends on how much you want to spend. You will either need insulators or DIY blue plastic pipe. Wooden posts insulate but won't last as long as concrete.

Wire spacing for cattle is easy but need lower wires if they have calves.

spacer.png

Energizer as has been said can be bought from Lazada but none of them are really weather proof.

Energizers use about 10W so any cheap solar trickle charger above 10W will do.

Aluminium wire is lighter and rust proof if you can find it.

Have a look around the neighborhood do you see any fences with strips of white shopping bag tied to the wire? If so the local cattle may already be trained to avoid electric fences and so all you need is the posts and the wire.

Cheers Neal

Just found this on Lazada. What do you reckon? Is this the sort of thing that would cover it?

รั้วไฟฟ้าโซล่าเซลล์ เครื่องคุมคุมรั้วไฟฟ้า รั้ววัว | Lazada.co.th

12 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

I told the wife that but for some reason she wants electric. I think she's scared of the cows getting cut and getting infected

They're apparently are quick learners, or it wouldn't be the standard enclosure by more dairy & cattle farmers.

• Like 2

A simple single wire supported by sticks at about 70cm above the ground and energized by a car battery is the norm around here.

A plastic bag torn into small pieces and tied to the wire at 2m intervals give a visual warning to both beasts and hoomans that an electric fence is there.

See the example in the background of this photo:

277636897_766183864348130_7792448895194494393_n.jpg

Edited by Encid
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, KhunLA said:

I had that issue with a neighbor, her cows, enjoying my yard before having wall.   Told next they visit, I'll be eating beef for dinner.   Problem was solved. ????

I can't say how much I hate barbed wires after picking animals out of barb wires dated back to 2. WW.

Deleted ignorant idiots who use barb wires 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

There is no electricity up there

How far from any mains supply..??

These days there is a type of conductive white "plastic tape" used for electric fences.

Only one run required and if memory serves correct, probaby good for 20 klms or more.

Obviously the need to insulate every support which could be a PIA/more cost  but, how far is the deciding factor i guess.

Battery and solar panel would be my choice but need to secure the battery and associated gear as it might not stay in place for very long.

Edited by bluejets
  • Like 1

image.png.caf94f416385175d6125bc595ab3db62.png

My son bought a cheap, low-powered fence charger.  He'd bring it out at parties and let the guys have a go. Loads of laughs. As a kid, I learned to keep away.

A solar powered charger would be nice.  They require very little current unless you are stringing them for miles and have losses.

Edited by Damrongsak
  • Like 1