Wine making chamber?

Hummin

I plan to make a small wine making walk in tempered room when coming back to Thailand, and I kind of know how to make it, size, insulation spec, but know nothing about temperature controllers and units to use or ventilation?

Temperature I believe 16 - 22c would be ideal for my purpose? Any input is welcome. The most important is constant temperature as possible inside those parameters.

Also interested to know if anyone else have built anything similar?

Inside measurement will be 2x2m and 190cm tall.

Edited by Hummin

4 minutes ago, DezLez said:

Is it legal to make your own wine in Thailand and if not where will you get the gear from?

You get some wine making equipment on Lazada. Not much you need actually, and a 10 L food grade bucket, will be a good start, or the 20L water ballons. Im going to buy a stainless steel tank after a few try outs and see how it goes. Anyway, will be a great storage room to use if not. 

Maybe I should change the title to fermentation room? 

Edited by Hummin

2 hours ago, Hummin said:

You get some wine making equipment on Lazada. Not much you need actually, and a 10 L food grade bucket, will be a good start, or the 20L water ballons

For wine the bucket is unlikely to be much good, great for beer but for wine not a good enough seal. The 20L water bottles would be a much better choice. I doubt that the temperature needs to be a rigidly controlled as you think.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

For wine the bucket is unlikely to be much good, great for beer but for wine not a good enough seal. The 20L water bottles would be a much better choice. I doubt that the temperature needs to be a rigidly controlled as you think.

When first start building  a room like this, it is okay to make it functional from the very beginning, and also now thinking about a multipurpose room for aging and drying meet as well. 

195151A6-9C38-4A68-B694-9C641EA03436.jpeg

821390EE-08A7-4827-8198-E0D4AA02C4BB.jpeg

Edited by Hummin

Unless I'm missing something, maintaining 16-22C is going to require air-conditioning.

Having it on the ground floor, in the center of the home without windows or external walls would make running AC cheapest. 

• Like 1

Found a few solutions on youtube and this looks promising for my multipurpose for vegetables, fruit, meat and wine fermentation. You can make two chambers with one cold department and one for fermentation with a thin 5cm insulated wall between with vents at top and under for temperature control. 

I converted/transformed a little used downstairs shower/bog into a washing/fermentation room. OK, it's temperature is the ambient one for that part of the house, maybe 25-28, but I have produced some dynamite wines both from Jamago's concentrates and frozen berries from Makro. Yeast from shops in Bkk. Usually do 8-10 litres at a time and make sure that production is bigger than consumption.

IMG_20220523_173414.jpg

Edited by KannikaP

@KannikaP

As long you use small containers, temperature control is easier, but still not ideal for the fermentation. 

It is more a learning project than just making alcohol itself, it is more about making a quality product where I understand the process, and also can control the process.

Also a developing project in to a multipurpose room where we preserve food in the future. 

We will see where it takes me. 

10 minutes ago, Hummin said:

@KannikaP

As long you use small containers, temperature control is easier, but still not ideal for the fermentation. 

It is more a learning project than just making alcohol itself, it is more about making a quality product where I understand the process, and also can control the process.

Also a developing project in to a multipurpose room where we preserve food in the future. 

We will see where it takes me. 

Five years of producing very acceptable stuff is OK for me.

The Cellar.jpg

See me through.jpg

• Like 1

This looks like an temporary good solution, and will give some more time to decide how I want my end result, also get experience making wine in Thailand with our own ecological fruit. It is going to be exiting, and something to do. 

On 5/23/2022 at 1:00 PM, KannikaP said:

Five years of producing very acceptable stuff is OK for me.

The Cellar.jpg

See me through.jpg

The most important thing, you are happy with your end product. Im more or less new to it, and you know knownledge comes by practice. I havent made any fermented alchohol since I was 17

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Any dark cupboard  will do with temperature  controlled by light bulbs on a timer switch. For larger amounts a spare bathroom can be used. Fruit fly are your main concern. 

I want to built a multipurpose room as I said with temperature control, to also preserve meet, and other seasonal vegetables and fruits of seasons when Im not making wine. 

There is things you can do to avoid fruit flies. 

https://www.midwestsupplies.com/blogs/bottled-knowledge/keeping-fruit-flies-out-of-wine

Edited by Hummin