Thai airforce C-130 Hercules transport plane towed off Ubon airport runway after "incident"

webfact

image.jpeg

Picture: Siam Rath

Siam Rath reported that a C-130 Hercules transport plane belonging to the Royal Thai Air Force was removed from the runway at the Ubon Ratchathani International Airport after an unspecified incident yesterday morning.

They had a picture of the Lockheed aircraft being towed last night.

Spokesman Air Vice Marshall Phrapas Sornjaidee said it was removed at 9.30 pm after the incident at 11.30 am.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

The precise nature of the incident was not reported. 

All flight safety protocols were followed, said the AVM who further thanked airport users for their forbearance and airport authorities for their resolution of the problem. 

Wikipedia states that the American four-engined turboprop military aircraft was originally designed as a troop, medevac and cargo transport plane. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-05-26

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

10 hours ago, transam said:

I heard it had tyre failure on landing, I immediately thought of the Thai mandatory 50psi tyre pressures in cars and .........................???? 

In the other EL paper it said that when it landed the brakes were not slowing the aircraft down so the crew used the emergency braking system which did work very well.

AFAIR Hercules also used reverse thrust to slow the aircraft, though whether it was used I have no idea.

57 minutes ago, billd766 said:

In the other EL paper it said that when it landed the brakes were not slowing the aircraft down so the crew used the emergency braking system which did work very well.

AFAIR Hercules also used reverse thrust to slow the aircraft, though whether it was used I have no idea.

The emergency braking on the C130, as with most large aircraft is to release high pressure nitrogen into the brake system. Yep it works very well, but once used, the whole braking system has to bled, once the repairs have been made. It's a big job and, of course, the aircraft can't even be towed until it has functioning brakes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

The emergency braking on the C130, as with most large aircraft is to release high pressure nitrogen into the brake system. Yep it works very well, but once used, the whole braking system has to bled, once the repairs have been made. It's a big job and, of course, the aircraft can't even be towed until it has functioning brakes.

I never worked on the C130 and I was a radio engineer and tried to keep away from the dirty stuff like that. I left the RAF in 1984 but I can still remember a fair bit. Most if not all of the aircraft I worked on are either in a museum or chopped up for scrap.

• Like 2