Driving In Myanmar

Although most my traveling of interest is done by motorcycle and posted on the GT-Rider board, it is not possible to travel Myanmar by motorcycle.

So, I dediced to try a road trip by truck that I was told was possible. .

I only traveled a roundtrip of about 500 km. in Myanmar yet the paperwork was outrageous.

I obtained travel documents at the border, and had to make 20 copies to be handed in at various checkpoints. In the course of travels I had to report at two other "transit control points" where I received more documents and had to make more copies. By the end of only a 3 day trip I had handed in 55 copies of transit papers at 10 checkpoints. Actual count, no exageration.

Are you sure you want to drive in Myanmar?

I learned many things about the history of Mong La 1 km from the Chinese border. First a major heroin producing area and controled by drug lords, turned into the "Las Vegas of Burma", to a wild and exotic animal outpost, and now a total story of failure.

If interested in this trip you can see the full report (epic in length) and travel details, with many photos at my website:

http://www.daearly.com/burma_road.htm

I invite your comments here. :o

Nice travelogue, thanks. Do you know if it is possible to drive overland from Thailand to Rangoon, or is that still off-limits?

To my knowledge my little trip is the only area that a foreigner is allowed to bring in a vehicle for any more than a day. IMHO It would be impossible to legally carry on farther from where I was.

Well done.. I keep being told its flat out impossible to get my own vehicle into or through Myanmaar.. Even told that drectly by immigration at the border.

I wonder if you have more freedom if hiring a vehicle ?? Any thoughts ??