Solar Pool Heater RECOMMENDATIONS . . .

Got rid of my solar water heater array because it was difficult to control the temperature and promoted excessive algae growth. Replaced it with a heat pump which was more manageable. Siam Pool is probably the place to go for information and installation.

• Like 2

Great question. In the Middle East plunging into an unheated pool was great, but here the temperature is just a few degrees too low for most of the year (for my old bones). Taking the chill off just a tiny bit would be great if not too expensive. 

Well here you have a water solar heater

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/stainless-solar-hot-water-heater-150-litre-30000-i1415434939-s12416000768.html?search=1&spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.i77.485a7638F3BSWJ

How ever be aware with choice of material.

It says stainless steel, but there are many stainless steel kinds.

Be aware of Ph of your pool.

You have a salt or fresh water pool?

You can also make one your own

Diy Above Ground Pool Solar Heater 2021 - do yourself ideas

Or buy somewhere this one complete

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.eTesFPc-ObX2knY4eE6d5QHaGn%26pid%3DApi&f=1

Or just start swimming and in no time you wished the pool was cooler.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, RafPinto said:

In Norway?

No, here. Not just the shade as per a previous comment, if you live in the north it gets down to low teens at night over cold season. I don't swim for 3-4 months of the year in my pool as the water is too cold. 

22 hours ago, lordblackader said:

I don't swim for 3-4 months of the year in my pool as the water is too cold. 

Better than me, I can only use my pool roughly from end-March to early-September, otherwise it's too cold (in CM). However, my pool is located between the house and the trees so it doesn't get much direct sunlight and stays pretty chilly.

I'm building a new home with a pool and I'm planning to use a heat-pump for heating it, and it will be designed with a retractable cover which can keep the heat in. The heat pump will be powered by the solar array on my roof, as opposed to the usual radiator type of setup. Still only planning stage, but that's the idea for now.

• Like 1

Forum member Naam (who sadly no longer posts due to ill health) used the A/C in his pool room to heat the water via a custom made heat exchanger, nice cool air, nice warm water.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, clokwise said:

Better than me, I can only use my pool roughly from end-March to early-September, otherwise it's too cold (in CM). However, my pool is located between the house and the trees so it doesn't get much direct sunlight and stays pretty chilly.

I'm building a new home with a pool and I'm planning to use a heat-pump for heating it, and it will be designed with a retractable cover which can keep the heat in. The heat pump will be powered by the solar array on my roof, as opposed to the usual radiator type of setup. Still only planning stage, but that's the idea for now.

Let me know how the planning, installation of the heat exchanger goes. I'm thinking of a solar house project this year and thinking about including  pool heater. Definitely 'brisk' when the temp. drops. I've got to heat about 100000 L which may not be possible for my budget.

3 hours ago, carlyai said:

Let me know how the planning, installation of the heat exchanger goes. I'm thinking of a solar house project this year and thinking about including  pool heater. Definitely 'brisk' when the temp. drops. I've got to heat about 100000 L which may not be possible for my budget.

https://gettopics.com/en/calc/water-heating-time

100m3 of water is a lot , but depending on where you are and how many you want to heat up all is possible . If your pool is 16c and you want 28c then it is gonna proof a difficult task ( or expensive ) . If you have some room in the sun , a simple homemade solar heater can well do it . The sun's output is 1000 watt/m2 . So that,s a few kW you can put inside your pool for free . Add a foam blanket at night to reduce temp loss during the night and in a few days you might have gained enough .

After that , a heat pump might be the answer . Especially a combined system were the cold is moved inside home and the heat in the pool . Everything is always possible and they do not have to cost fortunes .

• Thanks 1